Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017-2020 Model 3 recalled for trunk/rear camera issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Harness and trunk handle/camera replaced... whole back of car's worth of trim torn apart to do the work. 20221109_143144.jpg20221109_143139.jpg20221109_142624.jpg

Old was E, new is G (although the part no differ for auto-trunk vs manual trunk cars).

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
With the harness replaced a. there is no need for the stress relief (but I reinstalled it anyway) b. the rear view camera requires calibration via service mode (otherwise it defaults to no feed) and thats regardless of if its changed out (trunk handle/camera aasembly) or the old one remains and is reused.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
With the harness replaced a. there is no need for the stress relief (but I reinstalled it anyway) b. the rear view camera requires calibration via service mode (otherwise it defaults to no feed) and thats regardless of if its changed out (trunk handle/camera aasembly) or the old one remains and is reused.
I think I read someone repaired the cable and a full power cycle (contactors off) worked to get the camera back.

Might have saved you the trouble of calibration. Could you do one camera or do you have to do them all?

I guess I should have said this earlier - but here goes.

With the harness replaced - the camera finally works like it used to back in 2018.
Zero flickering on trunk open/close, zero black screens on reverse or manual trigger via the GUI and zero active or recent historical alerts in service mode.

Now if only Tesla made accessing this harness (and many other servicable but nearly inaccessable parts) easier within the interior... maybe one day in a Model 4.

And funny enough about two days ago the recall came back in the app with a “don’t call us we will call you” note when the parts are available.

It had disappeared roughly three months after the recall was first announced.

My plan is to get it done with the CCS retrofit unless they send a ranger. It’s unlikely as I’m only about 6 miles from a service center.

Anyone have any idea when I can expect to get this recall serviced? I scheduled a mobile technician to come over and fix in August 2022, but Tesla service center canceled it and said parts aren't available yet. They said they would have them soon and will reach out via email or Tesla app, but that was 4+ months ago

Anyone have any idea when I can expect to get this recall serviced? I scheduled a mobile technician to come over and fix in August 2022, but Tesla service center canceled it and said parts aren't available yet. They said they would have them soon and will reach out via email or Tesla app, but that was 4+ months ago
I just took my wife's M3 in for a tire issue, while there the Tesla Service Center replaced the harness in question. Hope you have a Service Center close by. Roll in and see what they say if you can.

I had no issues with the harness since we rarely open the rear trunk. Tesla Service replaced anyway which is fine with me.
That's surprising because the recall notice said they'd only replace it if they found chaffing. I'd rather they not replace it if mine is fine because I've not had a good service experience from any service department, even Tesla. In fact, it was Tesla that scratched my rear mat and the plastic trim on the side of the rear seat. I was not happy because how does a service person not see the damage they caused and then not fix it before the customer gets their car back?

I scheduled this fix via mobile service. My vehicle has more than 50,000 miles on it. I was quoted $154 for the repair. I messaged back and said this was a RECALL and why am I paying for a recall? The answer was "it's not a recall, it's a service bulletin and your vehicle is out of warranty." Are other owners paying for this fix?

I’m in Europe, so it’s probably a different story.
My bumper-to-bumper warranty’s up but I did not have to pay.
Mobile service came, the guy opened the trunk and pulled back on the rubber tube protecting the harness on its way from the body of the car to the trunk itself. He verified the colour of a cable (I guess different revisions have different colour combinations) and the overall conditions of the cabling. He confirmed there was no need to replace the harness, put the rubber back in its original state (more or less...) and installed the plastic guide.
All in all, it took maybe 5 minutes.

Mobile service came, the guy opened the trunk and pulled back on the rubber tube protecting the harness on its way from the body of the car to the trunk itself. He verified the colour of a cable (I guess different revisions have different colour combinations) and the overall conditions of the cabling. He confirmed there was no need to replace the harness, put the rubber back in its original state (more or less...) and installed the plastic guide.
There was a recall for the 2018 M3 LR RWD for a rear seat bolt inspection. I asked for that and suggested they do the cable harness as well. No charge as of a couple weeks ago. Car has over 50k miles on it.

I note that both the cable harness and bolt check were official recalls, complete with pieces of paper delivered in the mail. The bolt letter came, I think, this year. The harness one came a few months back. Pretty sure both of them showed up in the app under the service menu and were labeled as recalls. Um. Recalls are very definitely NOT “Service Bulletins” and have different legal standing. AFAIK recalls always involve safety issues; service bulletins, not so much.

Now, in the app, under the service menu, there is an entry for “CCS Adapter Retrofit”. There’s been rumors of a kit involving a box and harness that gets installed into older model cars so they can handle a CCS adapter. On my app, pressing the entry gives one a message that the thing isn’t available yet, but it’ll be coming in early 2023. Um. Which is now, come to think. The $150 or quoted cost for a harness repair (!) sounds like it’s in the right range for that CCS update. Did the app get confused?

Last edited:
I had my repeater cameras good willed due to the known glare issue at night from a design defect with the signal light.

While they were here they also did the harness on the trunk even though there was no wear as I don’t use my trunk that often and the car only have 10k miles on it. I’ve often heard they will only do it if there is wear.

They also did a bunch of other stuff while they were here.

No charge for any of it.

I scheduled this fix via mobile service. My vehicle has more than 50,000 miles on it. I was quoted $154 for the repair. I messaged back and said this was a RECALL and why am I paying for a recall? The answer was "it's not a recall, it's a service bulletin and your vehicle is out of warranty." Are other owners paying for this fix?

Keep in mind they often give you a quoted estimate until just before before your visit.

When they did my harness and repeater i had a to be billed estimate that was then cleared 24 hours before mobile service arrived.

What yeah and build do you have exactly?