Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.28 c528869

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MX 90D AP1. Just dowloaded the update. AP1 is really silky smooth with this one. No jerks, ping ponging, etc. Very happy with the update. On a separate note, my car was just in the shop and I picked it up last night. They have me a MS 90D with AP2. Not anywhere near AP1 IMHO. But I know it's gonna improve overtime.

• Informative
Reactions: Magus
MX 90D AP1. Just dowloaded the update. AP1 is really silky smooth with this one. No jerks, ping ponging, etc. Very happy with the update. On a separate note, my car was just in the shop and I picked it up last night. They have me a MS 90D with AP2. Not anywhere near AP1 IMHO. But I know it's gonna improve overtime.
awesome! i was waiting for an AP1 user to give some feedback.

i need mine pushed to me asap. (drooling) :)

Just drove 2000 KM this weekend on the I5 this update and I just don't trust it in traffic, narrow lanes nor turns. I found the car jamming on the breaks a few times on AP2 and TACC going under overpasses and reading the shadows as objects. The X slows down at curves reading trucks and trailers in the curves as being in my lane while the trucks are in the slow lane...not good when I'm going downhill and traffic is behind me. Still can't trust this version of AP2 software. I only use AP on straight stretches without much traffic to avoid pissing other drivers off.

I just received this release yesterday and I had a chance to try AP2 commuting, on the way to the office and on the way back. Either way, I have a slight incline and a slight decline, and while this release handles declines better, inclines are very scary.

When the car is about to crest the incline, it always steers right if I'm on the right (faster) lane, or left if I'm on the left (slower) lane. This doesn't happen if TACC is set to speed limit (50km/h) or relatively slow speed, but the traffic flow is about 95km/h, so if I'm going with the flow the car steers quickly to the wall.

Furthermore when I intervene and steers to the opposite direction, it cancels the autopilot but it takes enough longer time to fix the car direction so I have to correct the steer again. AP2 steers right, I try to cancel AP and steers left, AP canceled but now the car is going left, so I have to steer right again to compensate.

I think Tesla should train the software with more cresting cases. Currently it just can't go straight if it inclines.

Additionally as I have 30 overhead objects in one way of my commute, about 5miles, it brakes a few times to several times under such objects. No change since AP2 release.

AP2 is still unusable on city highway in Tokyo. It works perfectly in other bigger and wider highways.

I will share an experience today I had with the version in an AP2 loaner, and my AP1 car (that had older version and didn't update until later when I got home).

- Drove to SC today for recall/FWD fix in my AP1 X. In right lane and it drove centered and well in area under bridge before an exit I take.
- Drove again back to SC in AP2 loaner (a nice P100D which was cool) and it severely hugged the right line and went over it some, even when car in front of me was centered, and with a wall to the right which made me keep hold of it the whole time.

Definitely some differences in the two hardware implementations and software still, maybe calibration some, etc. For you guys with AP2 hopefully it is well improved here soon, felt your pain briefly.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
I will share an experience today I had with the version in an AP2 loaner, and my AP1 car (that had older version and didn't update until later when I got home).

- Drove to SC today for recall/FWD fix in my AP1 X. In right lane and it drove centered and well in area under bridge before an exit I take.
- Drove again back to SC in AP2 loaner (a nice P100D which was cool) and it severely hugged the right line and went over it some, even when car in front of me was centered, and with a wall to the right which made me keep hold of it the whole time.

Definitely some differences in the two hardware implementations and software still, maybe calibration some, etc. For you guys with AP2 hopefully it is well improved here soon, felt your pain briefly.

Similar experience, see above. AP1 MX at SC while I was driving MS AP2 loaner with most current software. Severe ping ponging in lanes, jerks with acceleration and deceleration (gave me a little whiplash). I was actually scared to use it after about 10 minutes. It also asks to hold the steering wheel way way more than my AP1. Truthfully, if I had an AP2 car at this point I'd be pissed.

Similar experience, see above. AP1 MX at SC while I was driving MS AP2 loaner with most current software. Severe ping ponging in lanes, jerks with acceleration and deceleration (gave me a little whiplash). I was actually scared to use it after about 10 minutes. It also asks to hold the steering wheel way way more than my AP1. Truthfully, if I had an AP2 car at this point I'd be pissed.
+1 exactly this...

thankful to have an AP1.0 car at this point.

Reactions: rjdoc74
Is anyone able to confirm if phantom braking is gone or not?

If anything, phantom breaking has gotten much worse on AP2. My first drive with it today, and it discovered three overhanging trees that have never been a problem before. Another thing to watch out for is remarked lanes where the previous markings have been erased or painted over with grey paint to almost match the concrete. In 10,000 miles, this has never been an issue until this build. Now the car tries to dart into another lane of traffic when it detects old lane markings. Yikes!

Does Tesla start all over on every build?????? Saying this code really sucks is being charitable at this point.

Last edited:
Having read some of the posts on this thread, it bears repeating that for some reason YMMV with regard to the 2017.28 c528869 update.

Fortunately for me (as I've posted on YouTube), compared to the past 2 iterations of 8.1, this most recent one has practically ameliorated most of the aforementioned woes.

I haven't yet tried the perpendicular parking, so I won't yet speak to that.

In my experience, 2017.28 c528869 is by far the closest I've come to experiencing silky smooth AP on both highway and local roads, both in clear weather conditions and rainfall (videos posted to YouTube).

I'm not saying 2017.28 c528869 is perfect and absolutely silky smooth (the operative word in my preceding statement being "closest")- I am saying that, based on my personal experience, this is most certainly a step in the right direction.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV and jlarmstr
If anything, phantom breaking has gotten much worse on AP2. My first drive with it today, and it discovered three overhanging trees that have never been a problem before. Another thing to watch out for is remarked lanes where the previous markings have been erased or painted over with grey paint to almost match the concrete. In 10,000 miles, this has never been an issue until this build. Now the car tries to dart into another lane of traffic when it detects old lane markings. Yikes!

Does Tesla start all over on every build?????? Saying this code really sucks is being charitable at this point.
They clearly significantly changed (not improved) the lane identification system.

Reactions: NerdUno
Our experience of AP2 in an MX90D was per the above accounts.
  • Uncomfortable acceleration behind the vehicle being followed, with unnecessarily tight acceleration to close a gap if one formed. If a person (my spouse!) were driving that way, we'd have words.
  • Driving pretty far over the centerline on left curves on country roads. It seems entirely unnecessary, as the lanes are standard width, and I could easily have manually driven the car between the lines myself.
  • Still bouncing back and forth in lanes on the freeway.
  • Phantom braking galore. (I want to shout "squirrel!" every time it pumps the brake.)
With the sole exception of better lane changes, this update is a massive step back in almost every other regard for autopilot.

If they turn this loose on Model 3 vehicles, Elon is going to wish he'd never decided to build them. The silver lining is that Tesla employees are getting first dibs on the new cars so perhaps they will get to experience first hand what a POS they've produced. :eek:

If they turn this loose on Model 3 vehicles, Elon is going to wish he'd never decided to build them. The silver lining is that Tesla employees are getting first dibs on the new cars so perhaps they will get to experience first hand what a POS they've produced. :eek:

AP certainly doesn't define the car. If it didnt have it I would purchase again without hesitation. My previous vehicle was a Porsche Cyanne S, also a great car, but the X blows it away in performance and tech features.

One thing that's not obvious is the first iPhone feeling you get with the car. I find myself checking what features are in the latest update and eagerly awaiting the next firmware. The car get new features all the time!!! I think a Tesla is for cars and and iPhone was for cell phones, game changer.

You will also find yourself charging the car every night just like your iPhone. At first I would charge twice a week, it's just nice to get in at car with 90% charge, makes it feel like I'm ready to go anywhere. It takes just seconds to plug in, so it's not a problem. Don't forget charging is free if you add a referral code to your order, PM me if you need one.

Took a 1000 mile road trip last week before the update. Most helpful on multilane highways. Used it about 70 percent of the time. Couldn't imagine the trip without it. After driving today on the update, I really felt it was much smoother. The lane changes alone were a huge improvement. Great update in my opinion. Now.....about them rain sensing wipers.......

Reactions: DiamondHands
I must wonder why there is such a huge discrepancy in experiences with each release. None of the issue above have I encountered, this is, in my experience, by far the best FW revision for AP2 yet.

- Bouncing around in the lanes (i have not experience, it has stayed centered and true)
- Following/distance acceleration and jerkiness (nope, not me, it feels fluid and natural just as I would have driven)
- Phantom braking... (been using it since upgraded about 2 days after start of roll out, not one phantom braking occurrence and I routinely pass through 8 overpasses on way to work every morning)

Is there a huge discrepancy in HW details? Calibrations?