Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.44 - Whats in it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
200 miles later: this release is another noticeable improvement on the highway compared to 2017.42. The biggest changes I’ve noticed:

(1) on curves, there’s seemingly no more illogical left/right bias. I’m no longer freaked out when entering a curve with cars next to me. I’m gonna poke @AnxietyRanger here because this was one of the complaints we shared about 2017.42.
(2) I was able to hit two bumps without the car making unwanted steering inputs. Too soon to tell if that’s conclusive.
(3) auto lane change seems smoother longitudinally — in 2017.42 it still sometimes unnecesssarily slowed down or sped up.

I was able to do around 70 miles on the 101 with no intervention. Haven’t managed that on this route since AP1....

Fair question @chillaban. I have driven shortly AP2 on .44 and I didn't register mentally any change from .42. If I had to say, the bias was still there, but frankly I didn't pay enough attention, so perhaps it wasn't.

I will get back to you once I have more experience, will pay more attention next time for sure.

Reactions: chillaban
Seems to have ground to a halt 2 days ago (soon to be 3). It went wide for only 2 days. I bet they have something else big coming now. It will include chill and the easy-exit but also some improvement (hopefully a new feature like IC classification of objects or lane changing locally). I'd like to think they would also be rolling out highway autolane change sometime before the end of the year.
I’m guessing they learned a thing or two and paused for the weekend.

Any new FSD-like (stop lights / auto-lane change / auto-highway exit) feature release would be a major step forward. I doubt Tesla is going to come out with a single feature this year. These features would require 99.999%+ reliability.

I expect nothing from the Semi event this week except Semi information (including cab and charging features along with a timeline for deployment, which should all be well-received) and a semi-vague reference or two at the end with regard to what’s coming in the firmware for the rest of us. Soon.

I expect nothing from the Semi event this week except Semi information (including cab and charging features along with a timeline for deployment, which should all be well-received) and a semi-vague reference or two at the end with regard to what’s coming in the firmware for the rest of us. Soon.

I doubt there will be any unveilings of the model Y, but I think there will be something about the Tesla pick up truck since Elon tweeted about the pick up being a mini semi... But I think the big deal at the Semi event is going to be the autopilot portion, with platooning and perhaps something unexpected but impractical such as how model S and X will be able to platoon/draft the semi once FSD is available, except for the fact that windshield repairs would go through the roof !

Seriously though, I think the big thing this week will be the autopilot and how incredibly nimble the truck is, maybe something really crazy like cargo portion of the semi sideways or some sort of super maneuverable feature that is like summon on steroids, where the driver can remote control dock the entire semi load in tight spaces while being outside of the truck. Certainly a battery swapping feature, or more. One thing is clear, Elon needs some buttershrimp on his presentation team.....

Reactions: outdoors and EinSV
Fair question @chillaban. I have driven shortly AP2 on .44 and I didn't register mentally any change from .42. If I had to say, the bias was still there, but frankly I didn't pay enough attention, so perhaps it wasn't.

I will get back to you once I have more experience, will pay more attention next time for sure.

I must say @AnxietyRanger, I enjoy your posts when you've been driving more... maybe it's because you combine the close attention to detail with road time, whatever you are doing, keep it up!

I must say @AnxietyRanger, I enjoy your posts when you've been driving more... maybe it's because you combine the close attention to detail with road time, whatever you are doing, keep it up!

I've noticed that for me it still takes a conscious effort. In my daily driving there just isn't - yet at least - a routine to use EAP. I do use TACC routinely but for example just before this message I drove 20 km, half of it on a divided motorway, and it only now - parked and charging - occurred to me that I could have driven EAP... :D

The first 9 months with the car did not really allow developing such a routine. Maybe it will now change...

(1) on curves, there’s seemingly no more illogical left/right bias. I’m no longer freaked out when entering a curve with cars next to me. I’m gonna poke @AnxietyRanger here because this was one of the complaints we shared about 2017.42.

OK, first test driving .44 AP2 while... well... conscious. :D

The bias... well. It has changed? Hard to say.

There definitely still is bias toward the left side of the lane when turning in a leftward bend and perhaps right side when turning in a rightward bend on a divided motorway. But I would say when driving a straight line, there is more tendency to seek the middle of the lane.

I think @chillaban is noting a real phenomenon, the bias is perhaps less than it used to be or at least it feels that way. But definitely still there when driving in even slight bends, on my tested roads anyway.

Reactions: buttershrimp
OK, another test on .44 - this time on the very same stretch of divided motorway where I noticed the bias first time on .42.

Bias is definitely still there. It hugs the left side of the lane (maybe 40-60 split or 30-70) when the motorway bends gently toward the left.

I think I may be sensing, as said, some difference in the bias (less?) but it may also be me imagining things based on what @chillaban said and individual conditions affecting things. Still, it seems the bias most prominently appears on leftward curves, less so otherwise...

OK, another test on .44 - this time on the very same stretch of divided motorway where I noticed the bias first time on .42.

Bias is definitely still there. It hugs the left side of the lane (maybe 40-60 split or 30-70) when the motorway bends gently toward the left.

I think I may be sensing, as said, some difference in the bias (less?) but it may also be me imagining things based on what @chillaban said and individual conditions affecting things. Still, it seems the bias most prominently appears on leftward curves, less so otherwise...
This bias behavior matches exactly what I am experiencing. For me .42 kept itself centered much better than .44 so this release is a regression from what it was.

• Informative
Reactions: Jjadmd

As I drive on more roads, I have noticed situations where the bias is still slightly there. It is usually when the road curves to the left, it will start turning a little earlier than I would and then keep that slight driver side bias until the turn is over.

But I think it's more regulated at 40-60 ish now, when before in 17.42 sometimes it was nearly 20-80 and dangerously close to the car on the inside. I'm still sensing a difference between 17.42 and 17.44 in terms of the biasing behavior, though it isn't completely gone. I have to wonder if Tesla did this to attempt to make EAP more "comforting" for the human driver. Most of the times, humans tends to bias towards their side too.

But at any rate, as I've said a dozen times before, what EAP is really missing is defensive driving awareness -- it should really bias to the side without a car (that's what humans do), and/or try to stagger itself relative to neighboring cars, especially when entering a turn.

Reactions: plumazul
Didnt discuss chill mode but made a quick video for Easy Entry. Chill mode seems intended purely for lack of instant torque not necessarily efficiency, older people or people who do not like the instant torque (there are a few) nothing really special except that its not speed limited like Valet Mode.

I have an inventory MS 75D I picked up on Saturday. The car was built in September, 2017 and updated to the latest firmware and software. I have the Chill option but do not have the Easy Entry option? I only have one user profile set up for myself. Do you have to set up a separate profile for the check box to appear to use that profile when the car is placed in park? Thanks

I really don’t understand chill mode. Is there anyone that can’t accelerate smoothly without chill mode? Smooth mode is necessary to achieve this? Really?
Im looking forward to trying it when Im in stop and go traffic. In the past, if a car in front changes lanes, auto pilot would shoot me at rocket speeds into the open space, then hit the brakes hard to stop as we approached the car in front of us. It was about the only down side of both Auto Pilot and Cruise Control when in rush hour traffic. Otherwise, uncork me and let me feel the wind in my face!! :D

I mentioned this over on Tesla forums, but figured I'd mention it here too. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Since .44 (came from .42), auto lane change refuses to change lanes most of the time. The IC is showing adjacent lanes, as usual. Lane markings solid. I put on the blinker...lane marking goes dashed and then usually before the wheel starts to turn, the lane markings go solid and the lane change never happens. Clear weather, well marked lanes, light traffic. And yes, auto lane change is turned on :) I've used the feature a lot before, and this is definitely not normal and didn't happen with .42.

I mentioned this over on Tesla forums, but figured I'd mention it here too. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Since .44 (came from .42), auto lane change refuses to change lanes most of the time. The IC is showing adjacent lanes, as usual. Lane markings solid. I put on the blinker...lane marking goes dashed and then usually before the wheel starts to turn, the lane markings go solid and the lane change never happens. Clear weather, well marked lanes, light traffic. And yes, auto lane change is turned on :) I've used the feature a lot before, and this is definitely not normal and didn't happen with .42.
I did a bit of testing this weekend in Southern California on the 405 freeway. Would really good for me, I purposely use lane change multiple times going left and right. I also did some testing on surface streets and it worked very well there as well. If only, it would honor street lights and stop signs I would be able to use it most of the time in my area. Regarding the LANE BIAS (left or right). Knowing that others have been complaining about it I tried to really watch my car in the IC and too me it looked pretty centered. But if a tiny bit off I might not notice (older eyes).