Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.50.3.f3425a1 is out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think there might be a misunderstanding here. I was saying that the posts that were moved (Indian call center, vindaloo comment, etc) were not appropriate. Not the Vulcan reference in the comment questioning the decision.

Ahh I thought that’s what you meant. I love Indians. I should have said Canadian haha. Maple.net

For the record, I don’t think anyone in this thread is a racist.

Reactions: arcus
Ahh I thought that’s what you meant. I love Indians. I should have said Canadian haha. Maple.net

For the record, I don’t think anyone in this thread is a racist.
I feel bad for derailing the thread again. For the record too, I was only trying to raise concerns indirectly that certain comments could be construed as racially innuendoed. I wasn’t intending to go as far as to accuse anyone of being a racist and I’m sorry if that’s the case.

Reactions: croman and arcus
I feel bad for derailing the thread again. For the record too, I was only trying to raise concerns indirectly that certain comments could be construed as racially innuendoed. I wasn’t intending to go as far as to accuse anyone of being a racist and I’m sorry if that’s the case.
Perhaps you can enlighten us as to what, specifically, you perceived as a slight against Indian people? In what way was were the people stereotyped or regarded as inferior? The comment was really humor about how many services get outsourced to other countries, India being the largest provider by far.

Perhaps you can enlighten us as to what, specifically, you perceived as a slight against Indian people? In what way was were the people stereotyped or regarded as inferior? The comment was really humor about how many services get outsourced to other countries, India being the largest provider by far.

Here's a good read from an article written by an Indian. He understands that racism is not always really about race.

Racism Doesn’t Really Exist – Jasky Singh – Medium

Reactions: Carl
Back to our regularly scheduled software review. :)

I've found that auto-wiping setting #1 have been sufficient to the point that I haven't even tried setting #2.**

**Based on only 2 days of use including nighttime use on well lit streets.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Evaluated the AP2 auto-sensing wiper functionality today with both settings 1 and 2 in generally rainy weather all afternoon and into the evening.

My recollection of AP1 auto-wiper functionality is that it just worked. Every time.

The AP2 version works. Most of the time.

Sometimes with raindrops hitting the windshield the wipers wouldn’t move whether setting 1 or 2. Most of the time they did. Rinse and repeat, as it were.

I know people who live in rainier climes have waited for this feature for a year or more. And more power to ya - glad it’s here finally and that it works for the most part.

I guess this is what we’re going to get for the next 1.5 years (A feature here, a feature there, with efforts toward incremental AP improvement) until the in-house board (with maybe the latest and greatest Nvidia chips) is ready to go to facilitate FSD.

I do like Chill mode. Glad people like the wipers. But what I’d really like for Christmas (Virginia), is a car with AP that doesn’t drift toward K-rail barriers in the carpool lane, doesn’t lurch one way or the other after crossing an intersection with any kind of elevation change, and a car that can react to a stop sign (as was first referenced in 2014 at the AP1 event).

Evaluated the AP2 auto-sensing wiper functionality today with both settings 1 and 2 in generally rainy weather all afternoon and into the evening.

My recollection of AP1 auto-wiper functionality is that it just worked. Every time.

The AP2 version works. Most of the time.

Sometimes with raindrops hitting the windshield the wipers wouldn’t move whether setting 1 or 2. Most of the time they did. Rinse and repeat, as it were.

I know people who live in rainier climes have waited for this feature for a year or more. And more power to ya - glad it’s here finally and that it works for the most part.

I guess this is what we’re going to get for the next 1.5 years (A feature here, a feature there, with efforts toward incremental AP improvement) until the in-house board (with maybe the latest and greatest Nvidia chips) is ready to go to facilitate FSD.

I do like Chill mode. Glad people like the wipers. But what I’d really like for Christmas (Virginia), is a car with AP that doesn’t drift toward K-rail barriers in the carpool lane, doesn’t lurch one way or the other after crossing an intersection with any kind of elevation change, and a car that can react to a stop sign (as was first referenced in 2014 at the AP1 event).

Unless they treat autowipers like automatic headlights or the media player, aka we delivered something, let’s move onto something else. Auto headlights can use so much more work, and the media player....

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
This is the first firmware in 10 months that presents autosteer on my local road without lane markings. Reads curb and mostly stays clear of the other side of the road. Ironically, very early fw did a perfect job reading the curb and the asphalt middle of the road and staying in it's proper place. This isn't quite as good.

FWIW, I didn't think anything was really racially tinged. I can see how it could've better easily into some bad stuff but it was all funny and neutral. Let's keep it on the right side of that thin line.

AP1 was only billed as recognizing signs not acting upon them. That was solely an AP2 feature.

Coming from India, I enjoyed this humorous exchange. I like jokes on behavioral stereo types. As long as as people stay away from genetic and physical characterizations.

I finally had a chance to give this firmware my running commute let's call it, which involves some local streets, some curvy highways and some fairly straight forward exit ramp transitions.

To be honest and say this is a a regression for me. On this one stretch of highway, there is a series of not to aggressive S curves, some of them tighter then others, but all on a main stream highway, so overall not that tight considering. Well, it's a good thing there was no one on the road with me at 5 in the morning, my car took the curve all the way to the extreme outer edge, I won't say it crossed the lane line, but it was certainly riding on top of it.

I suspect, the more I think out it, there is a torque limiter or something similar in the algorithm, that prevents the steering wheel from over steering by basically saying the most you can do for a given curve is say 20 degrees. And anything beyond that, it just try what it can until ultimately it will leave the lane and disengage auto steer as a failure ( this can be seen on most normal exit ramps)

Rock solid on straightways and such, but regressed a bit on curvy roads to me. Overall, I liked .44 better. The windshield wipers is a novelty, It sorta works, it was clearly pushed out before it was ready, so that Elon could get some form of a win before the year was out.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
This is the first firmware in 10 months that presents autosteer on my local road without lane markings. Reads curb and mostly stays clear of the other side of the road.

I just made that discovery too when leaving the local supercharger. It's a single-lane road around an indoor water park, actually a constant left-curve (ring road). I never had even greyed-out markings on the IC and now I can engage AP! It did it well for about 50m but was then hugging the inner curbs too much to be comfortable with.

I suspect, the more I think out it, there is a torque limiter or something similar in the algorithm, that prevents the steering wheel from over steering by basically saying the most you can do for a given curve is say 20 degrees.
I was able to drive nearly 90° through a very tight s-curve (right-left) the other day on 50.3. It nearly slowed down to a complete halt but it followed through. I then had to disengage because of oncoming traffic and the X was at the lane markers.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman and TaoJones
AP1 was only billed as recognizing signs not acting upon them. That was solely an AP2 feature.

One of AP1’s strengths especially relative to AP2 is recognizing and reacting to speed limit signs.

There was no distinction made between recognition and reaction when stop signs were first referenced. It was only later when it became evident that AP1 couldn’t handle the task that reaction to stop signs (the only practical value associated with the feature) was deferred to AP2.

Now, over a year later with AP2, it’s fairly evident that stop sign *reaction* will get kicked down the road to... perhaps AP4.

Miracles can still happen, but barring a nice juicy one, that appears to be the current, which is to say future state of stop sign reaction.

Tangentially, stop sign reaction is admittedly a whole lot more challenging than it would appear at first glance. Shades of both Volvo and Tesla pushing out their timelines after presumably determining that current technology was insufficient.

And of course without stop sign reaction there’s no FSD.

So how come Nissan is so far out in front with their testing in Japan? Or are they? And how about that side mirror stalk/stub testing also happening in Japan but evidently not here (note the camera stubs on at least one Model X prototype as seen in 2014).

This is going to be a very dynamic, very exciting next 3 years.

Now, over a year later with AP2, it’s fairly evident that stop sign *reaction* will get kicked down the road to... perhaps AP4.
I assume you mean stop sign and stop light. What do you base this on? Or do you just reject everything that Tesla/Elon has been saying and doing recently. I am expecting sign / light recognition to happen this year with current AP2 cars. But may also require FSD feature.

Reactions: EinSV