Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.50.3.f3425a1 is out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're a presumably new Tesla owner so you don't really understand the frustration. The initial hype, let down, and controversy were striking.

If I had never driven a Tesla and knew nothing, and bought an AP2 Model S today, I'd be satisfied with the purchase.

However, having put down a deposit Oct. 2016 and passing on $50,000 cheaper AP1 cars then being lied to about AP2 and paying an extra $10,000 for that privilege, then dealing with zero AP capability for months, then garbage, then finally something that sorta works, well......it's a different situation and feeling.

And FSD? Not sure how they can in good conscience not give me a refund.

So, you are still hanging to that? ;)

As well he should. Darn that pesky non-revisionist, non-fanboi truth thing! Darn it to, uh, a Chevy Bolt plant! (PG-13 version, yet still with Charleton Heston voice, last scene, original Planet of the Apes.)

Who said accuracy couldn't be amusing.

Does it even matter at this point whether or not AP2 has reached the level of AP1? The fact is that the system is not even close to where it needs to be, regardless of comparison. I frequently experience all kinds of outrageous control behaviour in AP2 release .50.3:
  • Phantom braking
  • Hugging the outside edge of the lane in turns
  • Hard braking and acceleration during speed changes
  • Forward-backward shuddering when following traffic of inconsistent speed
  • Diving into the target lane during automatic lane change
  • Lateral oscillation in straight, well-marked lanes
  • Unexpectedly bolting into the next lane while in straight, well-marked lanes
  • Wild lateral oscillation when only one lane line is detected
  • Late / nonexistent braking for stopped traffic, triggering the ABS in late braking events
  • Abrupt and forceful reaction to traffic entering or leaving the lane
  • ...the list goes on
I'll emphasise that this is all on the freeway, the intended usage environment. It feels like the only things the Tesla engineers know about are bang-bang and proportional control schemes, and there is no care in rejecting clearly erroneous control changes. This is completely unacceptable. I'm not sure how Tesla can foresee a "rapid rollout of additional functionality over the next several months" when the basics have not been cleaned up.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
The first setting for auto wipers (low sensitivity) works great for me. I was afraid even it would be too sensitive. I have a very good hydrophobic coating on the windshield. So, it needs far less wiping. I know for a lot it isn’t frequent enough, but I’m glad the setting exists.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Request to yourself and others, when you have the really light mist/ rain the auto wipe ignores, would you mind taking a quick look at the windshield from the outside to see if the camera heaters are keeping the sensor area of the glass free from droplets? (They could also be very short lived)

Regarding lack of steady wipe, I wonder if the rain validation time is just slightly longer than the time for the wiper to return to the park position. This is something that can be tuned in SW by adding a smoothing filter after the raw wipe/no-wipe signal (although good luck to them in finding parameters people all like).

The auto-wipers transitioned into a steady wipe for the brief period of time that it was warranted by the conditions (daytime). However, at night with similar conditions it did not transition though it did wipe frequently (well lit streets)

The only case auto wipers not working for me is dark night with no oncoming traffic. Otherwise pretty good. Oregon has mist then rain then dry then truck spray then mist in a few minutes. I find I now just ignore it all. I like it.
The one surprise I've had has been road spray during my commute not triggering a wipe as often as needed. To be fair, I have only used the #1 setting.

IF we receive more rain this year I will compare setting #1 and #2.

Does it even matter at this point whether or not AP2 has reached the level of AP1? The fact is that the system is not even close to where it needs to be, regardless of comparison. I frequently experience all kinds of outrageous control behaviour in AP2 release .50.3:
  • Phantom braking
  • Hugging the outside edge of the lane in turns
  • Hard braking and acceleration during speed changes
  • Forward-backward shuddering when following traffic of inconsistent speed
  • Diving into the target lane during automatic lane change
  • Lateral oscillation in straight, well-marked lanes
  • Unexpectedly bolting into the next lane while in straight, well-marked lanes
  • Wild lateral oscillation when only one lane line is detected
  • Late / nonexistent braking for stopped traffic, triggering the ABS in late braking events
  • Abrupt and forceful reaction to traffic entering or leaving the lane
  • ...the list goes on
I'll emphasise that this is all on the freeway, the intended usage environment. It feels like the only things the Tesla engineers know about are bang-bang and proportional control schemes, and there is no care in rejecting clearly erroneous control changes. This is completely unacceptable. I'm not sure how Tesla can foresee a "rapid rollout of additional functionality over the next several months" when the basics have not been cleaned up.

Very well said. Even if and when AP2 gets to what was promised for December 2016 (parity), that's not saying a whole lot in the big picture. Unmet promises and vanilla use cases aside, we've got a looooong way to go before Level 5 at this rate.

And now Nissan is working upon a brainwave interface for their self-driving cars. I know Elon has an interest in some of that with his AI effort, but so far not a peep operationally. Admittedly it would be far cooler to have that for the Mars folks but still.

Back here on Earth, I feels yer pain and agree completely. There will be progress made, and someone will be first to market with a stable, complete FSD feature set. I hope that someone is Tesla. They lead now in AP, but the gap is closing.

Reactions: BinaryField
This update has tried to kill me twice now with AP. A couple of times on curves on freeways with big vehicles next to me, the car braked hard and tried to stop for no apparent reason. It had never done that before for me. Wonder what is going on...
As others have unfortunately experienced with AP2, too often "phantom braking events" where AP2 randomly detects a car in another lane and causes the car to slam on the brakes for a split second.

I'm so glad I have never experienced that on my AP1 Model S. Scary stuff that I repeatedly experienced on a 1,500 mile road trip in an AP2 loaner from Tesla!

In some cases I experienced that the phantom braking was coming from driving on a highway with very closeby parallel local roads with a much lower speed limit. The max speed limit set changed to the speed of the local road and warned me the speed is restricted like I was driving on that local road. One time this had happened was when I was driving through a highway tunnel (speed limit 80km/h) beneath a local road (speed limit 50km/h).

I just finished and published my first Autopilot video. It shows a ~18 minutes drive on a highway with a construction zone, some town-connecting rural roads and some local roads through towns here in Switzerland. As we are a small and dense country with not that wide streets in general it's maybe a different view on autopilot for those coming from the States.

Here are some situations you'll see in the video:

@0:54 AP engaged in construction zone with red temporary markings (over/besides regular white markings)
@2:10 Auto lane change suspended until "Holding Wheel" confirmed
@5:44 Smooth stop behind car at red light
@7:35 AP recognises bicycle lane
@8:21 Autosteer is heading for curb in a long s-curve
@8:45 Quite good uphill crest handling by AP
@9:14 Some tricky passages with traffic refuge followed by bicycle lane beginnings
@9:45 Safe passing a cyclist on bicycle lane (no slowdown, maybe recognised as not on lane or completely missed by AP)
@10:06 Following a car in a tricky situation
@12:24 Stopping behind a car for a red light directly after a blind bend
@13:46 Passing a road-parked car (wide lane, AP stays to the left) followed by a smooth stop behind car for pedestrian crossing street
@15:52 Autosteer hugs inner line of a wide left curve with lane dividing traffic poles (I think it would have hit some cones if I did not disengage)

Happy to receive feedback ;)

The only case auto wipers not working for me is dark night with no oncoming traffic. Otherwise pretty good. Oregon has mist then rain then dry then truck spray then mist in a few minutes. I find I now just ignore it all. I like it.
I drive a nice little country road to work every morning before the sun comes up. As best I can tell, the rain sensing wipers don't work at all when there is no outside light. Once I hit the city, all is well.

Ok,
Just got off the phone with Tesla.
They ordered the part (driver assistance module) whatever that is.
Palm Springs Tesla replaced the module today. I was told it has to recalibrate the front camera which will take about 100 miles. On the bright side I saw 5 Model 3s staged for delivery there (see video)
Repair details from invoice:
Concern: Customer: Alert appeared: Driver Assistance Features Unavailable/Contact Tesla Service, speed was reduced to 45mph on frank sinatra dr.
Corrections: Vehicle Alerts General Diagnosis
DAS module requires replacement.
Corrections: Install 2nd Generation Autopilot ECU
Removed glove box and removed old DAS module. Installed new DAS module and performed firmware update and re-calibrated camera.
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
ASSY, AUTOPILOT.ECU,2.0 - SERVICE 1 (1078321-60-G)
Pay Type: Warranty

• Informative
Reactions: lunitiks
I just finished and published my first Autopilot video. It shows a ~18 minutes drive on a highway with a construction zone, some town-connecting rural roads and some local roads through towns here in Switzerland. As we are a small and dense country with not that wide streets in general it's maybe a different view on autopilot for those coming from the States.

Here are some situations you'll see in the video:

@0:54 AP engaged in construction zone with red temporary markings (over/besides regular white markings)
@2:10 Auto lane change suspended until "Holding Wheel" confirmed
@5:44 Smooth stop behind car at red light
@7:35 AP recognises bicycle lane
@8:21 Autosteer is heading for curb in a long s-curve
@8:45 Quite good uphill crest handling by AP
@9:14 Some tricky passages with traffic refuge followed by bicycle lane beginnings
@9:45 Safe passing a cyclist on bicycle lane (no slowdown, maybe recognised as not on lane or completely missed by AP)
@10:06 Following a car in a tricky situation
@12:24 Stopping behind a car for a red light directly after a blind bend
@13:46 Passing a road-parked car (wide lane, AP stays to the left) followed by a smooth stop behind car for pedestrian crossing street
@15:52 Autosteer hugs inner line of a wide left curve with lane dividing traffic poles (I think it would have hit some cones if I did not disengage)

Happy to receive feedback ;)

Looks pretty good although a few instances where you had to interfere. Living in Europe as well I always wonder if the better road markings I do believe we have here do help to make AP perform better.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
It appears the temps here will rise above freezing later in the week, with the possibility of showers. I plan to post video with a Rain-X treated windshield both with and without the auto wipers turned on for comparison. Should be interesting to see, at least for me, if the camera being only briefly impacted by rain will trigger the wipers or not.

In my case over many years, I've never had to use wipers as long as the car was both moving at a modest speed, and the Rain-X application was not too old. Light mist and slower speeds however is a different story, but even then only occasional wiper operation is all that's needed. Stay tuned.

Finally got around to putting a video together. Posted here.