Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.50.3.f3425a1 is out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More impressions after a week:

Rain Sensing:

In daylight, it's superb on either Auto 1 or Auto 2, have almost no qualms about how well it works.

In night time, mixed feelings. It's still acceptable, but for misty rain both Auto 1 and Auto 2 allow a borderline unacceptable amount of rain buildup before wiping. I would prefer higher sensitivity at night.

I had a few false wipes mainly when entering/exiting tunnels or garages. It's not bothersome though, it just wipes once and that's it.

Autopilot:

Loving it. Definitely the most stable/capable build by far. They seemed to have dramatically improved bumpy road and hill cresting performance though it's not perfect. Lane changes are executed better than before, it's timeline and reasonably fast (I don't like meandering lane changes, I like them decisive, but not like 2017.38 break-your-neck speeds). On sweeping curves, it's still not perfect, but it does center a bit better compared to before when it would allow too much drift to the edges. Like I've said before, AP2 engagement / disengagement smoothness is better: It doesn't suddenly snap when engaging, and it also doesn't require as much force as before for disengagement.

Overall it's a solid incremental improvement over previous builds. I'd say it's a half sized step compared to 2017.34 to 2017.42. The differences from .42 to .44 and .48 were so minuscule that I found it hard to quantify. But installing .50.3, there's undeniably improvements that I've experienced in my area.

A good, balanced summary I think.

• Love
Reactions: chillaban
Very informative, but i'll shed one piece, the picture you shared about, by AP standards that car is still in your lane, hence the continued slowdown. Even after the car "fully" clears your lane it will continue to slowdown for a second or two, before it will go full bore. I think the second or two delay is a confidence factor for the car to fully determine that opposing car has actually fully left your lane.
I often see this as follows: The car is moving into the "left turn lane" and then needs to slow down (or stop for the light). My car sees this as the car is slowing down (or stop) and then my car slows down to match. The car behind me must think I am NUTS. I have needed to speed up manually until I pass the car and then AP will continue as normal.

Reactions: scottf200
I got a message saying autosteer was restricted to 45MPH while navigating to the service center in a 55 mph zone.
Asked about it at the SC. They said it was a gps based restriction.
I’ve never seen this bebore 50.3
Did you take the same route as normal the to the service center? We've seen this message for at least the past 6-8 months when we try AP on specific roads. There are some roads near us which don't have the speed limit listed correctly (or at all) and we are limited to 45 MPH. On one of the roads, we can drive northbound without any problem but driving southbound will show us the "autosteer restricted" message.

I got a message saying autosteer was restricted to 45MPH while navigating to the service center in a 55 mph zone.
Asked about it at the SC. They said it was a gps based restriction.
I’ve never seen this bebore 50.3
Notice below the 45 TACC you do not have a SPEED LIMIT SIGN in the IC. To me this means it does not know the speed limit on the street you are on. Whenever that is gone either I have lost my GPS (have to call service to reset it) or it just does not know the speed limit for that area.

Notice below the 45 TACC you do not have a SPEED LIMIT SIGN in the IC. To me this means it does not know the speed limit on the street you are on. Whenever that is gone either I have lost my GPS (have to call service to reset it) or it just does not know the speed limit for that area.
Wow!
Thanks!!!!
Just read your response to the service technician (still here at the SC) he checked my logs and found an issue with the gps. He seemed very certain it’s a hardware issue. Some module needs to be replaced. They may try to push another update to see if it resolves it, but seemed pretty confident that it was the module.

Wow!
Thanks!!!!
Just read your response to the service technician (still here at the SC) he checked my logs and found an issue with the gps. He seemed very certain it’s a hardware issue. Some module needs to be replaced. They may try to push another update to see if it resolves it, but seemed pretty confident that it was the module.
This GPS issue has happened to me about 3-4 times since I got the car on 9/28/2017. Normally after an UPDATE but not always. Anyway, if I call service and get the right person they have me pull over then go into settings and shutdown my car. They then can send a command OTA to my car (very quick). I then put foot on the brake and my car will wake up and if I look at the MAPS display my car will show at the right location on the map. Maybe have to start driving and also you will see the Speed Limit sign come back. Sometimes the first person I get will generally tell me to REBOOT my main screen so I normally just do the first before I call to get past that step.

BTW... A lot of people had this problem a while back after a certain update (if I remember right). But it seemed to kind of go away but it happened to be recently. Maybe I have a hardware issue as well.

Wow!
Thanks!!!!
Good luck. We have three Teslas in our household and they all have the same issue. For our roads, I'm pretty sure it's a map data issue (and lack of cameras detecting the speed limit signs) and isn't related to GPS.

On the southbound drive where we have this issue, there has never been a speed limit displayed. The northbound drive of this two lane road has a speed limit but it's the wrong speed.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Good luck. We have three Teslas in our household and they all have the same issue. For our roads, I'm pretty sure it's a map data issue (and lack of cameras detecting the speed limit signs) and isn't related to GPS.

On the southbound drive where we have this issue, there has never been a speed limit displayed. The northbound drive of this two lane road has a speed limit but it's the wrong speed.

Note that on AP2 it also will restrict you to 45mph if you're on a unmapped road that it doesn't know the speed limit to.

It could either be a map data issue or a GPS issue (e.g. if your GPS bonked out and put you at a nonsense location then you could still get limited to 45mph falsely on an otherwise known road)

Have owned AP1 and AP2. Just drove from San Diego to Seattle in AP2. Auto-wiper was excellent on AP2...much better than AP1. Didn't notice much difference between 1st and 2nd sensitivity level though. Took a bit longer to turn on at night.

But, AP itself went backwards (on 50.2 and 50.3). Especially on corners, where the car would regularly go over the line and stay there until out of the corner. Never went > 9 over speed limit. Typically at 75 in a 70. Hope this gets fixed quickly.

• Informative
Did you take the same route as normal the to the service center? We've seen this message for at least the past 6-8 months when we try AP on specific roads. There are some roads near us which don't have the speed limit listed correctly (or at all) and we are limited to 45 MPH. On one of the roads, we can drive northbound without any problem but driving southbound will show us the "autosteer restricted" message.
First time to this service center. I’m 1100 miles from home.
Got the same result on the return trip on the same street.

This GPS issue has happened to me about 3-4 times since I got the car on 9/28/2017. Normally after an UPDATE but not always. Anyway, if I call service and get the right person they have me pull over then go into settings and shutdown my car. They then can send a command OTA to my car (very quick). I then put foot on the brake and my car will wake up and if I look at the MAPS display my car will show at the right location on the map. Maybe have to start driving and also you will see the Speed Limit sign come back. Sometimes the first person I get will generally tell me to REBOOT my main screen so I normally just do the first before I call to get past that step.

BTW... A lot of people had this problem a while back after a certain update (if I remember right). But it seemed to kind of go away but it happened to be recently. Maybe I have a hardware issue as well.
Service technician said the log does indicate the map data is incomplete or corrupt from the update and that they have had to replace a module on several cars that received the last update to resolve the issue.

• Helpful
Service technician said the log does indicate the map data is incomplete or corrupt from the update and that they have had to replace a module on several cars that received the last update to resolve the issue.

Two separate issues:

1. Update-corrupted data.

2. Data that remains wrong.

The fix for #1 does not fix #2, which is a somewhat more dependent process.

If you’re toodling along with AS engaged in a 45 with TACC at 50, and bad data decides you’re in a 35 zone, you’ll be restricted to 40, presuming a +5 mph offset.

With no warning whatsoever other than the vehicle behind you maybe just got considerably closer.

AP1 did not have this chronic AP2 problem because AP1 both recognized and reacted to the speed limit via the camera.

That, present day is the difference, absent the new mapping data corruption-by-update issue. Itself I *think* was/is related to a recent maps update but haven’t been able to confirm.

Glad you got a fix for #1 - just don’t be surprised if other episodes pop up due to #2 - at least until AP3 or AP4 brings us a blended solution (AP1 camera recognition/reaction of speed limit signs *combined with* the AP2 database of speed limit data once scrubbed and maintained more effectively - for those times when a big truck is between your car’s camera and the next speed limit sign).

Interesting. Could you let us know which module was replaced once you get your invoice if you do not know already. Curious, why did they need to replace hardware (module) if the map data was incomplete or corrupt. You would think they would simply re-download the map data.

Interesting. Could you let us know which module was replaced once you get your invoice if you do not know already. Curious, why did they need to replace hardware (module) if the map data was incomplete or corrupt. You would think they would simply re-download the map data.

Unless they received some bad Flash ICs, and that is the reason for the corruption (latest version perhaps large enough to enter the bad memory space)

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
It appears the temps here will rise above freezing later in the week, with the possibility of showers. I plan to post video with a Rain-X treated windshield both with and without the auto wipers turned on for comparison. Should be interesting to see, at least for me, if the camera being only briefly impacted by rain will trigger the wipers or not.

In my case over many years, I've never had to use wipers as long as the car was both moving at a modest speed, and the Rain-X application was not too old. Light mist and slower speeds however is a different story, but even then only occasional wiper operation is all that's needed. Stay tuned.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200 and Carl