Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.50.3.f3425a1 is out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got update, stuck Wifey in the car, tested with hose (Orbit XL-Stream Fire Hose Spray Nozzle for adjustable mist). Yep, I have auto wipers. Better yet, I can turn it off, and two sensitivity steps that actually work. I have Rainx on the windshield and AW (we are calling Auto Wiper that?) setting #1, waiting for rain for on the road test.

226vg7.jpg

On my drive today on surface streets with 17.50.3.

1. Normally I drive in the center lane (when I can) so that it has good lane markers. Since 1750.3 I am able to drive in either the left lane or right lane and it seems to honor curbs as left or right lanes. Also, with a left turn cut out it seems to ignore them better.

2. Following cars that stop at stop lights and stop signs work very well like normal stop and go traffic.

3. Regarding seeing a distant car at a stop light (or stop sign). My experience has mostly been that if it does not see it moving before being stopped at the stop light it will not see it soon enough to stop. Only had 1 time where I took control where it was very late at deciding what to do. Not sure it would have stopped but I took control just the split second that I think it was going to apply the brakes but not positive either way. I am wondering if there is just some distance and speed of travel problem.

4. A surprise also happened. I was following a car to a stop light and we were both slowing down. Normal size distance between us (too much is normal) and a car decided to get in-between us with very little room. I immediately assume it would not handle it and just the split second before my foot hit the brake my car hit the brakes and made a noise. Now my speed was maybe only 10-15 mph but I was surprised at how quickly it responded.

My biggest "wish" is for support of stop lights and stop signs before support of GPS (also a wish). But now a little concerned the camera can't see far enough in the distance to take appropriate action. This is based on the stopped car at the light it does not seem to recognize quick enough. Maybe seeing the car is using radar and not the camera.

Changing the topic a bit about 2017.50.3 f3425a1, but my car now tracks to the left side of a lane with this update. Not quite in the center anymore. The car actually is more centered in the lane when it loses track of the right lane marker....
View attachment 271210 more centered (lost right lane marker)
View attachment 271211left of center (has both left and right lane markers)

Same behavior on both highways and city streets.

Was on 2017.48 a774ed8 which tracked dead center in the freeway lanes (and so did all the prior versions).

Wondering if I'm alone in this as I kept pulling the car to the center of the lane and auto-pilot would disengage. Didn't make a difference if large vehicles were around me on the left or right, kept tracking to the left of center.
Have same issue. Also, remote heating from app no longer works. It briefly turns on but then turns off in about 5 seconds

Last edited:
Posting here as I've never had an update since delivery last month, not even the wide releases. Still on 46.9 while connected to WiFi at home.
Have you talked to your service center about it? Have you emailed [email protected] see if there is a reason or they can push the latest? You situation/story seems odd especially with 50.2 and 50.3 out.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jack Tripper
Russian roulette suicide mode is really the best way to phrase it and oh so true.
I still hate how it takes so long to start up again after traffic starts moving. Maybe I’m just impatient but that drives me nuts.
I have seen criticism of the long delay in autopilot accelerating back up to speed after a slowing vehicle in front moves out of the lane. I now think I have a better understanding why.
Today,during a failed attempt to get a video of “Russian Roulette Suicide Mode” in 2017.50.3, as I approached a distant truck slowing down for a red light in my lane, my car started to gradually slow down as it should do. (Non-Russian Roulette Suicide Mode) Then the truck decided to move out of the lane, leaving me a path forward through the red light. I fully expected my car to accelerate towards the red light, instead it continued to decelerate, giving me even more time to disengage and avoid barreling through a red light.
Here’s the video:

• Informative
Reactions: mongo
Naw, that's not suicide mode, it was a tracked car in front ( the truck ), the car can see it out that far especially if it's moving. Also, you can hear the disconnect of AP before that slowdown for the light. You must have hit something to disengage.

FWIW both calisnow and Max* have their "userTitle" as Banned according to the HTML source. So don't seem like real bans?

Good catch. You're presuming that csnow has just one account. In any case, after the predictions of his holiday meltdown and subsequent loss turned out to be correct, I have no idea if he paid up his $100 via the charity donation link I posted in the other thread (search for "Charity 10K"). And of course have no idea if he'll pony up the $1000 and/or $10000 he's wagered in the name of charity thereafter.

Meanwhile, I *hope* this is the result of just some needed calibration with *.50.3 (as is often the case for the first 50-100 miles or so), but last night in the space of 5 minutes, I had 2 phantom brakings and 1 slowdown from TACC 35mph to 15mph (there was nobody behind me for that 3rd episode, so I let it go to see how bad it would get). At 15mph, it gradually picked up speed and returned to 35mph.

The phantom brakings were unprompted by anything noticeable. The slowdown may have been triggered, improperly, by a slowing car in an adjacent turn lane. Had nothing to do with my lane, and would have greatly increased the odds of getting rear-ended had there been a car behind me and had I not been paying attention in the usual hawk-like fashion.

So phantom braking (abrupt) and slowdown (less abrupt) episodes aside, there may be some incremental improvement in lanekeeping through curves *with elevation*. Still no joy through intersections, though - car is as likely to head for a median (curb) as to jump right into an adjacent lane regardless of what's already in it.

Chill mode continues to impress. Less abrupt lane changes and reaction in general boosts the perception of confidence that was prevalent in the later flavors of AP1.

Edit: Next up, a test of auto-sensing wipers as SoCal is supposed to get an inch of rain tomorrow (Monday) and some thundershowers as well into Tuesday.

Meanwhile, I *hope* this is the result of just some needed calibration with *.50.3 (as is often the case for the first 50-100 miles or so), but last night in the space of 5 minutes, I had 2 phantom brakings and 1 slowdown from TACC 35mph to 15mph (there was nobody behind me for that 3rd episode, so I let it go to see how bad it would get). At 15mph, it gradually picked up speed and returned to 35mph.

The phantom brakings were unprompted by anything noticeable. The slowdown may have been triggered, improperly, by a slowing car in an adjacent turn lane. Had nothing to do with my lane, and would have greatly increased the odds of getting rear-ended had there been a car behind me and had I not been paying attention in the usual hawk-like fashion.
Alas as I feel obliged to keep pointing out, there is no sign that there is any calibration of any sort after the initial camera calibration when you first install autopilot. I'm afraid the phantom braking remains one of its biggest achilles heels. I can sort of understand why it happens - it's safer to assume that something might be an obstacle than ploughing on ahead, but it still doesn't have it right if it can't spot a stationary object at high speed yet 'sees' things that aren't there too. I find it happens mostly with elevation changes too. I haven't even been able to spot a particular weather or lighting pattern that reliably reproduces it either suggesting it's most likely entirely radar data misinterpretation.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I have seen criticism of the long delay in autopilot accelerating back up to speed after a slowing vehicle in front moves out of the lane. I now think I have a better understanding why.
Today,during a failed attempt to get a video of “Russian Roulette Suicide Mode” in 2017.50.3, as I approached a distant truck slowing down for a red light in my lane, my car started to gradually slow down as it should do. (Non-Russian Roulette Suicide Mode) Then the truck decided to move out of the lane, leaving me a path forward through the red light. I fully expected my car to accelerate towards the red light, instead it continued to decelerate, giving me even more time to disengage and avoid barreling through a red light.
Here’s the video:
Naw, that's not suicide mode, it was a tracked car in front ( the truck ), the car can see it out that far especially if it's moving. Also, you can hear the disconnect of AP before that slowdown for the light. You must have hit something to disengage.
Definitely not “Russian Roulette Suicide Mode“ which I was hoping to capture.
There were no other cars in front of the truck in my lane. Just the one other car stopped at the light that the truck pulled behind. However, after closer examination, a few cars crossed the intersection from left to right, which could have been a factor. Timing was very close to when the truck was completely out of my lane. Here is an image of the first car that crossed.
8E08A2CB-1529-4B84-9B44-B062F2561AFB.jpeg

It’s a little hard to tell in the video, but here is the sequence of events.
1. Engaged Autopilot 52mph - speed limit was 50. (Crazy high speed limits on surface streets in Palm Desert, CA - some are 55)
2. Truck in my lane started to slow down as it approached the red light.
3. My car started to slow down,
4. then the truck moved into the left lane.
5. My car did not accelerate when the lane cleared.
6. I disengaged AP to stop at the light.
7. Light turned green.

More impressions after a week:

Rain Sensing:

In daylight, it's superb on either Auto 1 or Auto 2, have almost no qualms about how well it works.

In night time, mixed feelings. It's still acceptable, but for misty rain both Auto 1 and Auto 2 allow a borderline unacceptable amount of rain buildup before wiping. I would prefer higher sensitivity at night.

I had a few false wipes mainly when entering/exiting tunnels or garages. It's not bothersome though, it just wipes once and that's it.

Autopilot:

Loving it. Definitely the most stable/capable build by far. They seemed to have dramatically improved bumpy road and hill cresting performance though it's not perfect. Lane changes are executed better than before, it's timeline and reasonably fast (I don't like meandering lane changes, I like them decisive, but not like 2017.38 break-your-neck speeds). On sweeping curves, it's still not perfect, but it does center a bit better compared to before when it would allow too much drift to the edges. Like I've said before, AP2 engagement / disengagement smoothness is better: It doesn't suddenly snap when engaging, and it also doesn't require as much force as before for disengagement.

Overall it's a solid incremental improvement over previous builds. I'd say it's a half sized step compared to 2017.34 to 2017.42. The differences from .42 to .44 and .48 were so minuscule that I found it hard to quantify. But installing .50.3, there's undeniably improvements that I've experienced in my area.

I made a raindance post to this thread hoping for an update for my car. Thanks for the suggestion to email.

On 46.9, I dislike how AP2 won't respond to a turn signal to change lanes if the stalk is lightly tapped for a 3 blink sequence and isn't pushed all the way. Also, when the stalk pushed all the way, if the turn signal is cancelled before the lane change is completed, the the car suddenly swerves back to the original lane.

How does 50.3 handle this?

Wow! It finally got above freezing here for the first time since 50.3 came out and we got rain this morning. I pulled out of my driveway this morning to go to work and it was sprinkling lightly. By the time I backed out and got to the end of my driveway, the wipers suddenly gave a wipe all by themselves! I had previously set it to the most sensitive setting when the update was installed and forgot about it. I was startled when they wiped all of a sudden, unexpectedly, and I got pretty excited! I tried both settings. The rain was light enough the sensitive setting triggered wipes more often than I would have done myself, but not that much, and the less sensitive setting let it go just a bit longer than I might have done manually myself. They worked perfectly!

I just got delivery of my vehicle in mid-December, so I don't know if I am just inexperienced, or whether I am the first person to notice this, but I have read these forums for half a year prior to ordering my car and I have never seen anyone mention it:

The little blue Autosteer indicator on the CID turns when Autosteer turns the wheel!

• Informative
Reactions: landis
Definitely not “Russian Roulette Suicide Mode“ which I was hoping to capture.
There were no other cars in front of the truck in my lane. Just the one other car stopped at the light that the truck pulled behind. However, after closer examination, a few cars crossed the intersection from left to right, which could have been a factor. Timing was very close to when the truck was completely out of my lane. Here is an image of the first car that crossed.
View attachment 271811
It’s a little hard to tell in the video, but here is the sequence of events.
1. Engaged Autopilot 52mph - speed limit was 50. (Crazy high speed limits on surface streets in Palm Desert, CA - some are 55)
2. Truck in my lane started to slow down as it approached the red light.
3. My car started to slow down,
4. then the truck moved into the left lane.
5. My car did not accelerate when the lane cleared.
6. I disengaged AP to stop at the light.
7. Light turned green.

Very informative, but i'll shed one piece, the picture you shared about, by AP standards that car is still in your lane, hence the continued slowdown. Even after the car "fully" clears your lane it will continue to slowdown for a second or two, before it will go full bore. I think the second or two delay is a confidence factor for the car to fully determine that opposing car has actually fully left your lane.

I just got delivery of my vehicle in mid-December, so I don't know if I am just inexperienced, or whether I am the first person to notice this, but I have read these forums for half a year prior to ordering my car and I have never seen anyone mention it:

The little blue Autosteer indicator on the CID turns when Autosteer turns the wheel!
It's not mentioned often but I believe it's been that way since 2015.