Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I expect an economic downturn around 2020-2021. I hope Tesla will have a relatively low debt level, and very solid cashflow by then.

Running out of time to reduce stockpiles in 2017, Statoil says

A little more flavor on how Statoil sees the situation...
My guess is that no major oil company is prepared for peak oil in 2022.

Of course billions of market cap will also evaporate along that road.

My guess why @Starno may be right. Lot's of oil/gas is supported by debt. Debt financed by major banks/institutions. When the "renewable revolution" takes off, there's going to be a lot of stranded assets, imploding majors and defaults...IMHO. Just hoping that there will be enough jobs created by renewables (and subsequent industries and off-shoots) to absorb the workers.

Reactions: Drax7 and callmesam
My guess why @Starno may be right. Lot's of oil/gas is supported by debt. Debt financed by major banks/institutions. When the "renewable revolution" takes off, there's going to be a lot of stranded assets, imploding majors and defaults...IMHO. Just hoping that there will be enough jobs created by renewables (and subsequent industries and off-shoots) to absorb the workers.

20 million all-electric cars replace only 1 million barrels per day of oil demand.

The world consumes nearly 100 million barrels of oil per day.

Y'all berate me for predicting Tesla will manufacture 10-15m all-electric cars in 2025.

Yet at the same time say "peak oil in 2022!"

Smh...... :rolleyes:

20 million all-electric cars replace only 1 million barrels per day of oil demand.

The world consumes nearly 100 million barrels of oil per day.

Y'all berate me for predicting Tesla will manufacture 10-15m all-electric cars in 2025.

Yet at the same time say "peak oil in 2022!"

Smh...... :rolleyes:

Now, now, I've never berated you for your prediction. That being said, 10-15 m all electric cars in 2025 doesn't all have to be from Tesla to cause peak oil in 2022. Don't forget Chinese EVs, Volvo, the German majors. I suspect by 2025 we will have many more players in the EV market (which is Elon's goal). What will set Tesla apart is that they will have the best one out there, IMHO.

Now, now, I've never berated you for your prediction. That being said, 10-15 m all electric cars in 2025 doesn't all have to be from Tesla to cause peak oil in 2022. Don't forget Chinese EVs, Volvo, the German majors. I suspect by 2025 we will have many more players in the EV market (which is Elon's goal). What will set Tesla apart is that they will have the best one out there, IMHO.

Idk... competitors better start building their first gigafactories... but even the most ambitious one (Energy Absolute) I've seen so far "reportedly has plans for a $3 billion factory in Asia with an annual production capacity of 1 GWh per year scaling up to 50 GWh per year by 2020."

By then, Tesla will have 5+ operational at some capacity, so 300+ GWh?

the way I see it: Tesla will command more than half of global battery manufacturing capacity for many years to come. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla announced locations for yet another 3-4 Gigafactories by 2019.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Am I the only one feeling like a little kid on Christmas eve?
I've learned not to get too excited. About a year ago I got burned on SMP2 hype. I held 4000 shares worth of options that were about $10 out of the money, and then SMP2 fell on the weekend, and I read it and was all excited for the prospect of the SP going gangbusters on the next trading day with all these future revenue plans, only to be met with wall st's reaction of ZOMG THE CAPEX, BETTER SELL.

We might also have rolling recessions, for instance healthcare that takes up about 20% of GDP
May suffer a recession if and when market forces are introduced.

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo
It's a dog eat dog world:

"Panasonic Eco Solutions North America and US-based inverter manufacturer Pika Energy have formed a partnership to offer Harbor 10P/15P Smart Battery, a DC-coupled solar smart battery solution.
Harbor 10P/15P will begin shipping in late 2017 and is available for pre-order today, the companies announced.
The solar-ready Harbor Smart Battery combines Panasonic's renowned Lithium-Ion battery modules and Pika Energy's power electronics in a slim, floor-standing, wall-mounted enclosure. Powered by Panasonic's Li-Ion battery technology, this smart battery provides 10kWh or 15kWh of usable energy and up to 6.7kW of continuous power. Harbor 10P/15P can be used for clean back-up power, self-supply, time-of-use and other solar-plus-storage applications."

Panasonic, Pika Energy offer Harbor Smart Battery for solar-plus-storage - Clean Technology Business Review

Well, you won't hear me responding to VA any more. :cough: It'll be as if I couldn't even hear her.
I find that both of you have some very useful things to say.

What bothers me, a little bit is your over-the-top pessimism, which seem to be exacerbated by @ValueAnalyst's over-the-top optimism.

What bothers me even more is the personal attacks.

But please don't stop posting because of me!

Note that in the entire post (not just the section you quoted), I acknowledged that "Alien Dreadnought" was a revenue Wild Card that could alter things significantly.

The reason I did not include this factor in my fuzzy projections is that I have no data on the actual improvement to production rate. Elon Musk has a guess, but until a pilot line is up and running we won't know if it works or not.
Elon repeatedly said that he is very confident about this. When I hear people saying that it's not going to happen or it's unknown if it's going to happen I remember the used rocket landing on a barge floating in the ocean and I smile.

Tesla Fremont should have about a max output of around 500k units/year with a complete Model 3 line. To reach 2M units/year by 2022 would normally require 3 additional production factories. 3 new factories is a lot in 4-5 years. I would revise my estimates when Tesla releases more information about future facilities and production technology. I am simply unwilling to make projections based on hazy notions of plans not announced and technology not revealed.
IMO that means that you are guaranteed to have an extremely conservative estimate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.