Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so what does a delivery miss bode for the quarter EPS?

To quote Tesla: Tesla vehicle deliveries represent only one measure of the company's financial performance and should not be relied on as an indicator of quarterly financial results, which depend on a variety of factors, including the cost of sales, foreign exchange movements and mix of directly leased vehicles.

Ford to develop several Tesla killers over the next 5 years. At least I'm sure that's what the bears are thinking...

Ford Adding Electrified F-150, Mustang, Transit by 2020 in Major EV Push; Expanded U.S. Plant to Add 700 Jobs to Make EVs, Autonomous Cars | Ford Media Center

The title got me to click as I came from a F150 before I got my MS. But as it is going to be a hybrid, I'm holding out for when Tesla releases a truck.

I see Kenrike feels the same way. :)

On Oct 26th, Tesla said they would hit 50k for the second half after doing 24,821 in Q3, or 25,179 for Q4.

That is almost 3k worth of "production problems" that then happened in November and December.

Again, check the UK, Australia, and Hong Kong delivery threads for the Model X homologation delays. That's not a production problem. And any slow down in production in November would mean missing the European shipping cut off. It is possible that Tesla could have made up for it by pushing harder with domestic sales in December, but they apparently chose not to do so. It would be a short term bandage, as the vehicles are in transit, just not delivered. To push harder or ship faster is to actually be less cost efficient, so they chose to be more cost efficient instead.

• Funny
Reactions: Value Ev
Edit: And another bigger problem with this is Mark Spiegel now will rant with even more panache for one more quarter. I bet that guy murders Elon every night in his dreams
Spiegel predicted 18500 deliveries, or about 20% below actuals. I think he should just STFU for now.

PS: obviously i mean he should Sleep Tightly Floating with Unicorns

Last edited:
Building the most-expensive cars near the end of a quarter (ie. P90DL in end of Q2, P100D end of Q4) can be used to borrow for a period of time against the ABL. A built expensive car is worth more than the sum of its parts. Then they can be sold in the following quarter at discountable prices after miles are drawn against the car and written down in terms of mileage allowances by the IRS. Let's see how the ABL looks at the end of Q4 on the Earnings Report. It can be paid back in January - but is a tactical CFO maneuver to build inventory for a short period and make the customers who are paying full price wait a little longer (ie. cars "in transit").

Yes, that difference between MSRP and the sum of its parts (and labor to assemble them) is called "gross margin". And that is at most 40% for the most expensive models as I stated. And the ABL only lets Tesla borrow 80%. So 80% - 60% = 20%, or $30K in cash on a $150K car. That is all the cash they can "generate" building cars for the ABL vs. building them to sell to customers. Who would run a business that way?

Here is an alternate explanation. Build 500 P100D's for inventory. Sell them at $150K each. It generates $60K in profit and $60K in cash (twice as much). Now that is the way people without tin foil hats run a business.

As another data point, here is a list of all of the cars entered into the Model S delivery spreadsheet that were built in December and still to be delivered in Q1:

90D, 75D, 90D, 90D, 90D, 90D, 60, 75D, 60D, 60D, 90D, 60, 60, 90D 60D

It doesn't look like they are trying to maximize ABL cash based on what they chose to build, does it?

Reactions: neroden
I think the biggest problem with this is the loss of confidence in Elon's words from now on. TSLA affirmed the H2 50k guidance on Oct. 26th Q3 call. So is it just coincidental that production probs occurred only after that call?

Basically, even if TSLA says they will deliver 120k -130k S&X in 2017, I'm going to stick with 110k (assuming about a 50% increase from actual numbers, just like 2015 to 2016).

The biggest impact I fear is market not trusting the M3 timeline as well now, even if TSLA management continues to affirm till Q2 2017. That takes away one major catalyst for the SP.

Edit: And another bigger problem with this is Mark Spiegel now will rant with even more panache for one more quarter. I bet that guy murders Elon every night in his dreams

Not that anyone cares, but I think Tesla should guide for 100K X+S cars, and do no promise on Model 3, and then maybe do 110K X+S, and some M3.

If presented well - 'We're focusing on production efficiencies and M3', I don't see SP being punished.

S+X have gotten TSLA to this point, and there is no need to make that segment grow. After all, they're $100K cars, they should move upmarket and be more scarce.

To quote Tesla: Tesla vehicle deliveries represent only one measure of the company's financial performance and should not be relied on as an indicator of quarterly financial results, which depend on a variety of factors, including the cost of sales, foreign exchange movements and mix of directly leased vehicles.

Yeah, note that the battery cells got about 15% cheaper over the course of the quarter. Not sure the exact timing of when the USD converts to JPY though... but should definitely help in Q1.

• Informative
Reactions: Nate the Great
Q4 deliveries in context:

If you take that graph, and alter it so 3Q16 gives back much of what it took from 2Q16 due to production delays, and 4Q15 (which pulled a lot of demand levers forward from 1Q16), gives some to 1Q16, you end up with a pretty reasonable growth pattern.

On Oct 26th, Tesla said they would hit 50k for the second half after doing 24,821 in Q3, or 25,179 for Q4.

That is almost 3k worth of "production problems" that then happened in November and December.

For those who can do basic math, that's about 9 days at the Q4 exit rate we were targetting of 2400/wk. Pretty easy to see how a supplier goobering a shipment could cause 9 days worth of problem.

Tesla sells every car they produce - they guided to 80,000-90,000 cars at the start of the year, and people said they were crazy, that they wouldn't even get close.

They built 84k cars - right in the middle of their guidance, and delivered 76k cars to customers - with nearly 7k still en-route to be delivered in the next week or two. Is it a miss? Eh, sure, kind of. It really sucks that you can get hard data that the company is growing >50% YoY, and gets flogged for delivering 7k cars a week late and 'missing' their target that nobody thought was credible to begin with.

I think the biggest problem with this is the loss of confidence in Elon's words from now on.

I think the continued delays with Model X through 2014, and continuing until production issues were finally ironed out in mid-2016 already caused most people to take Elon's projections with a large dose of skepticism. He publicly sets goals that are outrageous to begin with.

I'm satisfied with Tesla's 50% YoY growth in deliveries.

Here is what I get out of the report: TSLA is still growing at a nice clip.

Here is what I get out of the pre-orders: TSLA has plenty of room to grow.

And the biggest problem is production issues scaling to meet demand? aka the usual thing that happens during growth, and not rocket science to solve. It is problem you want to have at this stage - satisfying a high demand.

Still growing, room to grow, all with no advertising.
Basic manufacturing challenges from high demand.
Competitors floundering.

How could you not buy TSLA long?

Just a note, because I keep seeing this wrong everywhere - EOQ overhang increased by 1400, not 1000. EOQ3 it was 5050 (check the later in time investor letter, not the initial deliveries release which said 5500).

This means there are just 1,282 "unaccounted for" cars: 5050 overhang + 24,882 Q4 production = 29,932
29.932 - 22,200 deliveries - 6450 overhang = 1,282

It's possible substantially all of these 1,282 extra cars were placed into service as loaners, floor cars etc. to replenish the Q3 massacre of same - and are not yet for sale. It does not follow that inventory is not moving or has increased from Q3 because there's a 1282 gap.

So, I can't see Q1 deliveries overall being much more than 21,000. Model S should be staying strong but without the USA sales of September as they were (lease deals and discounts on P90DL) they fell back again in Q4.

I see you have raised your forecast from what you tweeted to Mark Spiegel a month ago.

Attachments

• bonaire spiegel.PNG
    bonaire spiegel.PNG
    373.6 KB · Views: 67
However, the delay in AP2 HW production and the AP2 SW catch-up to AP1 capability are both disconcerting. Tesla needs to demonstrate that they can roll out new features and products on a reliable schedule, otherwise people will always question how these delays could impact M3 ramp.

Not going to happen, so we might as well get that thought right out of our heads this very second. Elon will always push the envelop. The day he stops is the day I'm out.

I can learn. I can even be trained to be herded. If Elon gives a timeline, I automatically add time to it with the full understanding that it's likely an impossible timeline to start with and sugar has a way of happening now and again. And if on the off chance a timeline is nailed, I imagine I'll be as happy as pig in sugar. But never will you catch me upset, disappointed or otherwise.

Let people question possible Model 3 delays and the impact on the ramp. The more short, the merrier. Because the reality of it is that Model 3 ramp will happen and that's what's really important.

Status
Not open for further replies.