Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest I struggled with these questions myself.

jesselivenomore, I will really appreciate if you actually spelled out the answers.

However, this is my understanding. There are two distinct components to this puzzle.

1) Why are other auto companies valued so low?

This is certainly NOT because of Tesla or the advent of EVs. The low valuations have existed all along. Tesla and thus prospects of EVs came on to the scene only in early 2013. For instance GM's PE ration in 2012 was 7. So guys please don't waste anybody's time arguing lack of EV commitment is the reason for low valuation.

From the little that I understand the reason is Pension obligations and maybe other worker obligations like medical care. From what I heard these obligations are in the tune of 100billions at GM and about %0 billion at Ford... Is this the only reason? Is there more to it?

2) Why Tesla deserves the kind of valuation that it does.

Well, for the first part, Tesla is free from whatever is plaguing GM, Ford etc from their valuations... Even setting the entire auto industry aside, just merely looking at S&P 500 valuation, Tesla's valuation is very high.

View attachment 214563

My understanding is that Tesla's valuation is based on DCF of the future with a lot of assumptions about the future. So nobody is ever right or wrong... Is that right? Are there models (or reasons) that are not so feeble that kind of sets the valuation much more firmly in ground?

The only thing that matters for valuation is growth and profitability/margin(or perceived steady state profitability). It doesn't matter what widget you make or service you provide, or industry you are in, those are the two primary variables.

Growth: Auto industry is 100 years old and completely saturated. Industry growth is slow, difficult for companies to gain share because there is little product differentiation besides branding, which is why products are so heavily advertised.

Profitability: At single digits, net income is low. This does not fully explain the super low PS ratio. The key is perceived future profitability.

1. Increasingly strict mileage standards puts a strain on future profitability. This is getting to a critical state as some turn to cheating(VW, Mitsubishi)

2. Not just pension obligations, but unfunded pension gaps of $20B for GM and F, each. I believe GM got docked $1B in earnings last year for it. The question is how do they solve this? As pension obligations increase faster than earnings growth(which is further constrained by industry growth and mileage standards), this funding gap continues to widen, and put larger and larger pressure on future earnings.

So you have these companies with low growth, and low profitability to begin with, and profitability will be increasingly constrained in the future. Some of these companies may become insolvent.

Not every automaker has these issues. Ferrari trades at 3x sales while growing at only 8% yoy.(because of earnings expansion)

Tesla has none of these issues. Might as well compare them with popsicle makers.

Last edited:
They'll try to get more out of what they have in the same way that they could get more than what MobileEye hardware was designed to do in AP1. They can also leverage fleet learning with always on data connection. They are probably confident that the single chip is enough for Enhanced Autopilot which they'll stretch to maximum capabilities for the next 12 to 18 months. Should it be too limiting to achieve FSD they can always swap the board for a cheaper yet more powerful alternative in one year from now for the people that did buy the option. Also, remember the rumor that they are developing their own chip to support Tesla vision, which would bring down the processing power required for their narrow AI.

Seems that we have confirmation from EM himself that upgrade of the Drive PX 2 may be needed to get to level 4-5.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk says ‘almost all new cars will be self-driving within 10 years’

That's odd - I'm not saying you're wrong - because on irregular occasion I scour its entire portfolio unsuccessfully looking for TSLA and wondering why it can't be found. Time to look again...
I finally found the search page, Norwegian wealth fund holdings:

TSLA:
Wealth fund TSLA.png

SCTY:
Wealth fund SCTY.png

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that Elon was on record saying that he will step down as CEO after the successful ramp of Model 3. IIRC he said this 3-4 years ago. Has his position changed since?

Elon said he would not step down before ramp of Model 3. Not that he would step down. And his most recent statement was he had no plans to step down.

Not sure it's relevant but since I've been asked this at least twice before : out of TSLA again. I am happy with the gains I got and not comfortable anymore with the price that is being asked for a share. So there is no better time for me to sell and that's what I did. Good luck to all of you. See you after the earnings release. If there are no negative surprises, I'll be buying again. Maybe at a premium, maybe at a lower price.

Huh. So >$200mm in TSLA+SCTY as of end 2015. That's even more than I bought for Christmas. A LOT less than Fidelity or Baillie Gifford or BMO, though.

And FYI for English-onlys: that "0.63%" refers to the fund's holding relative to the company's market cap, not relative to the total size of the fund.

There exists another page that shows the portfolio in non-graphical terms that is, I recall, more up-to-date. I'll look...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden
In 2013 TSLA shot up after Elon's tweet regarding cash flow, this immediately caused mini spurts of $2-5 gains per day. As the stock increased, more and more shorts piled in, causing the stock to increase even further as "earlier" shorts were forced out. This trend occurred for months, and although I was long, I must confess that during that time I was a bit nervous at the prospect of us falling back to reality. Hence, I totally understood why some longs were shaken to exit their positions.

However, that was 2013, when Tesla was a "small" company.. well, it's been four years and we've made quite a bit of progress. The difference in my personal "sentiment" now is that I'm not one tad bit worried about a pullback. Tesla is in a very good position and quite frankly, I'm much more worried about missing the train. The reason for this is that way more people and investors are aware about Tesla's potential today than in 2013, this fact is backed by the faith of 400,000 people who deposited money for M3. My bet is that this stock is gapping up further and has some steam left after ER. If you're worried about the "miss" Tesla has gapped up numerous of times after "misses" in 2013.

Last edited:
Maybe the UAE entry is the princes entry into TSLA, instead of Model S/X entry into UAE

All the middle east countries are going through a tough time right now. They are dipping into their sovereign funds to bridge the budget gaps. Solar is also not really a new idea there. Irrational exuberance here?

BTW, found this 2016 data (only percentages for free). UAE new car sales overall down 23% to 319.878 registrations.
Luxury car sales holding steady though.
United Arab Emirates Full Year 2016: Land Cruiser takes control

Without any EV incentives, I'm not sure how many Teslas will be sold there. Since Tesla only opened a pop up store, I'd guess not a whole bunch after the initial rush is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.