Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A car can be "mass market" but still be priced at a high level.

A Honda CR-V EX AWD costs $28,100. A Honda Fit is $17,000. Both are mass market cars.
so now we're debating the definition of mass market and how the M3 will be a 1m/yr to 2m/yr vehicle instead of talking about how Tesla's M3 is going to replace Toyota and GM?... I know... I keep talking about "replacement"... but that's because that is what the story on this board was until yesterday... and now magically somehow everyone's forgotten this.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
A car can be "mass market" but still be priced at a high level.

A Honda CR-V EX AWD costs $28,100. A Honda Fit is $17,000. Both are mass market cars.

There is a HUGE difference in the number of people that can afford a $17,000 car and those that can afford a $35,000 car. I wonder how many people in this thread have ever struggled to pay their bills and didn't have a safety net? I think many of you truly don't realize how the average American family lives.

so now we're debating the definition of mass market and how the M3 will be a 1m/yr to 2m/yr vehicle instead of talking about how Tesla's M3 is going to replace Toyota and GM?... I know... I keep talking about "replacement"... but that's because that is what the story on this board was until yesterday... and now magically somehow everyone's forgotten this.
I agree with some of your points and don't like the personal attacks I see directed to you and others that disagree with the herd mentality in this thread.

However, I think you are forgetting some things:
Tesla has said for some time that the target for the Model 3 is people that might buy a BMW 3 series or similar car.
Tesla is not just an automotive company. The energy and solar segments are growing.
The stock price should account for all of Tesla, not just the automotive segment.

what the ****... now the M3 is not the vehicle for the masses.... and now you're going to talk about the Model Y for the next 3 years and how THAT'S when they're finally going to start delivering enough vehicles to justify their share price?

rewind this board to just 3 months ago... and you would be considered a TROLL for making such a point.

We don't use the T-word around here. I wouldn't know what you are talking about as it's been pretty clear it's been the master plan. Tesla and Elon don't plan I'm selling every human an EV, only acceleration the adoption of sustainable energy and sustainable zero emissions consumption. Built an expensive sports cast, build a high end sedan, build a less expensive mass market car. No one ever said the plan was to sell cheap cars. Tesla is driving demand which should bring in more companies to fill that low end low margin demand.

Everyone has a different model for how they expect Tesla to grow market share. The "story" on this board is actually many different projections.

Railing against what you perceive as some kind of unified "story" here is pointless.

There is a HUGE difference in the number of people that can afford a $17,000 car and those that can afford a $35,000 car. I wonder how many people in this thread have ever struggled to pay their bills and didn't have a safety net? I think many of you truly don't realize how the average American family lives.

The average working class people I know generally do not buy new cars ever. They buy something used, 3-5 years old usually, and drive it till it's totally busted.

Even for humble cars like the trusty Honda Civic, new buyers are younger upper middle class people who expect their incomes to grow.

Buying "new" is a luxury for those who can afford to pay for depreciation. A Civic Touring sedan costs $27,000. It's a mass market car that the average American will never be willing to buy new.

Is there a terrible lip sync issue in this video? Got a headache watching the presentation. It's like watching a poorly dubbed Chinese movie :(

But none of those are selling at MSRP. The fanboy author picked some criteria by which he could put a $44k M3 as the cheapest, as if that is a major criteria in a car buying process. "I am looking for the car with the cheapest and largest gas tank" :)

If you want to compare realistic pricing, compare the lease pricing. 127 mile range Nissan Leaf is leasing for $99/mo. A 238 mile Chevy Bolt with many standard features in any color is $149/mo for 10k miles/yr. So, a 310 mile Model 3 needs to be at (149/238) * 310 = $194/mo lease. Wake me up when Tesla releases the lease deals for M3.
New Chevrolet Dealer | Rydell Chevrolet
bolt_deal.JPG

Last edited:
I agree with some of your points and don't like the personal attacks I see directed to you and others that disagree with the herd mentality in this thread.

However, I think you are forgetting some things:
Tesla has said for some time that the target for the Model 3 is people that might buy a BMW 3 series or similar car.
Tesla is not just an automotive company. The energy and solar segments are growing.
The stock price should account for all of Tesla, not just the automotive segment.
Sweet innocent myusername? Who shows up on down days, or bad news days for TSLA warning about imminent drops to $170?
Employing such scare-tactics with the hope of pushing stockholders into selling? Likely either for his own personal monetary gain, or quite possibly his paymasters?

Sweet innocent myusername? Who shows up on down days, or bad news days for TSLA warning about imminent drops to $170?
Employing such scare-tactics with the hope of pushing stockholders into selling? Likely either for his own personal monetary gain, or quite possibly his paymasters?

So what? I've dealt with many people that think I'm nuts for being a Tesla fanboy and buying the stock that I did. If your confidence in Tesla is shaky enough that one dissenting voice on a message board is enough to convince you to sell, then perhaps you should be investing in safer areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.