Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mean to brag, but I got all out at 306 and sat on the sidelines for three weeks, thinking there would be a downturn. Yesterday I let my emotions get the best of me and went all back in at 375. For some reason this makes me laugh... and almost cry at the same time. I think I need a better strategy:rolleyes:

Considering my ability to trade short term is terrible, this is the strategy I picked:

Hold a fixed number of shares and/or LEAPS for a long period of time. As in a year, or a lot longer. Don't touch them unless something catastrophic happens. Picking a good entry point helps (for a lot of people here it's in the 25-35 range, for me it's 180). Without a good entry, buy 1/2 or 1/3 now and more at later dips.

Leave a specific amount ready to deploy for medium term plays. Give yourself a few month time window and buy dips, like after earnings, downgrades and macro meltdowns. Sell local peaks, the daily charts that Papafox posts are good for finding those.

If you must trade the short term, accept it's harder than you think, allocate a small amount for doing so and keep track of your gains or losses. Don't increase the size of your trades until you have a proven track record of gains in different market environments, and increase slowly. Accept the fact you will have great returns for a while that will make you think you're good at it, only to find out otherwise as soon as you get overly confident.

Having said that, I've not stuck to that strategy and paid the price multiple times, including this Friday.

'flash crash' metaphorically perhaps - not by the current meaning established by the 2010 inceptive event though--

This drop was produced from a market-wide secular rotation - precipitating from a market squeeze occurring over the last months and highly accelerated recently. The squeeze is between a lagging Equities market trading on growth and momentum (recently turning to and now correcting from- Tech)- squeezed by the massive Bond market in the other direction; While uncertainty in all markets moves higher from very low levels, induced from equally historic catalysts.
--Money flows as we approach historically divergent Bond-Equity correlations of current conditions against future expectations, each coming to grips with same; Equities catching up to Bonds IMO.
(see discussion and data markers in the macro thread)

TSLA effect:
1) This is NOT coming from anything specific to Tesla- It's macro induced pure and simple. The only tentacle specific to Tesla is actually positive (net positive, not as an absolute). Tesla is migrating from a high risk, startup, capital-poor investment to a viable Tech-Hybrid high growth. It's actually part of luvb2b's recent play that many here assumed had failed to manifest- It did not.
It's happening, independent of and front-run by the above conditions prescribed. The market is deciding preemptively to make that transition (induced by it's desperation for any growth sources).
This will give Tesla some cushion along with it's pending growth on the receiving end of segment and equity exit volatility -
(IOW drops less than others due to correlation to mature risk (Apple/Amazon/etc) rather than massive drops of a highly leveraged concern.

2) Despite VERY strong catalysts coming for TSLA in the coming months. It will not be immune to macro effects (clearly demonstrated). As such, my call is this is early indication of pending risk from the above described (and see macro thread). These volatile macro and sector wide drops will be INCREASING in coming months and take on greater urgencies as this squeeze works through. The unknown is whether it will induce something longer in term (Recessive or Bull to Bear secular transition). Regardless of that though- I'm strongly advising core strong TSLA but common only. All Option and Margin investments remitted to discretionary roulette wheel entertainment only.

We are right at a crossroad here on which way our Investment macro world is going to go- and although we are in historically virgin territory, my best call from data and experience says extreme caution but strongly invested - 6 months outlook: Orange Alert: market volatile

If a metaphor would help:
The macro clouds are now deep and dark with intermittent thunder and visible funnel clouds forming.
Stop putting your Life needs outdoors;
Come inside, close the door and windows-
Crack a bottle of Merlot and enjoy Life.
When the first tornado passes, don't f... go outside hoping to play before the next one hits.
Just Crack another-- and relax...

2 pennies for my TMC friends--
I'd like to hear some other opinions on this, of course Kenliles may well be right, but he may be wrong. I'm thinking about rolling my LEAPs to stock but usually when I make such knee jerk moves I regret them.

Last edited:
kenliles is absolutely right that there is some serious macro danger ahead. The possible impeachment of a sitting President, a UK without a functional majority in government tackling Brexit, the threat of an escalation of hostilities on the Korean Peninsula, the crisis in the Middle East around Qatar, there's a lot of stuff going on that could hurt the markets.

I often regret quick reactive moves as well, which are typically more emotionally based. On first blush, this looks like a nice buying opportunity across the tech board. The market will show us on Monday what it thinks. It's definitely more of a gamble at this point to jump in and buy. TSLA has some good reasons why the market may remain bullish, so buying or remaining leveraged can be supported. It is probably prudent to approach Monday cautiously though and let the situation evolve rather than quickly reacting to Fridays selloff. It's not clear that we're at the bottom of the pullback here. If prices slide further, it could get a little ugly short term as more people get out and more shorts jump in, quickly reversing the trend. On the other hand, prices may shoot right back up. Hard to go wrong being cautious here.
I'm not an advanced technician, so take this with a grain of salt, but looking at the chart, larger red candles near the upper BB have typically been followed by more red candles. But this was a pretty unusual big tech drop and TSLA's positive catalysts are now much closer than they were before. I'd love to hear more opinions from the more experienced investors here.

upload_2017-6-10_12-51-1.png

I'd like to hear some other opinions on this, of course Kenliles may well be right, but he may be wrong. I'm thinking about rolling my LEAPs to stock but usually when I make such knee jerk moves I regret them.

There are many people whose opinions I respect here at TMC but none more than @kenlilies.

I had previously sold my Sept and J18s based on Ken's 'yellow alert'.
I still have my J19s. I plan on keeping my DITM ones at this time as they have no time value and are good replacements for stock. I will look to sell my close to the money and OTM ones though.

If we go off his last datapoint, from ~midday on June 7th, when the price was ~$357:

Ihor Dusaniwsky‏ @ihors3 Jun 7
$TSLA short interest is $10.4 billion. Today's 5% rise cost shorts $534 million in mark to market losses- YTD down $5.1 billion. @S3Partners

=29.13m shares, difference 2.8m shares shorted in 2.5 days. Subtract "assumed" added shorts today, and you get +1.43m shares shorted Wednesday afternoon and Thursday. Not totally unreasonable if 1.37m added short shares happened Friday, considering most of the time when I see people seriously talking about shorting TSLA, the intention is a quick trade - no more than a few days to a week usually.

Perhaps @SBenson can clarify the numbers S3 reports for EOD Friday?

Thanks -- that fits the data I am aware of and certainly sounds plausible. If true, the 5.14% SP increase on the week -- already strong -- would be very impressive in the face of a significant amount of shorting activity.

Reactions: TMSE
There's another reason for $100Bil by the end of year prediction (or speculation):

While I was analyzing a bunch of growth companies a few weeks ago, I found an interesting pattern in valuation.

If you take T-12 operating cash-flow and multiply with T-12 revenue growth it is approximately same as the company's market cap.

This was true for many companies in a row, especially high growth companies. But again, this is true under the current (last several quarters) of market environment where S&P 500 is kind of fully valued and tech companies are "hot". So if the overall market environment changes, who knows the equation may not hold true.

In case of Tesla, market has been generally forward looking. So my thinking is even if Tesla doesn't achieve scores on T-12 metrics, if it merely reaches them on a run-rate basis, I think market will give it the appropriate market cap.

So what do we need for $100 Bil valuation:
- We know that revenue has been growing and will continue to grow approximately 50%, it maybe lumpy here and there but overall 50% doesn't seem to be a stretch.
- Then all we need is 2Bil annual operating cashflow because 50 * 2 = 100. If M3 ramp goes well and Tesla is on course to achieve 5K/week production rate in Q4, on a run rate basis, I think 2Bil rate is very achievable.

Note: I'm specifically talking about operating-cashflow, not net-cashflow.

If Mr.Market is not satisfied with run rates and wants actual proof in T12 metrics, then we may have to wait a bit. So anytime from end of 17 to end of 18, we should certainly see 100Bil market cap. But again, barring any macro headwinds and force majeure events.

Another way to think about this. If Tesla achieves 2Bil operating cashflow on a run rate basis by the end of year, but mr.market doesn't give the 100Bil valuation then it would be a spectacular buying opportunity. Just have to load up, sit back and wait. So in a twisted way if market is really efficient it will be satisfied with run rates and give the valuation. Especially in Tesla's case because the trajectory is *very* visible.

Last edited:
kenliles is absolutely right that there is some serious macro danger ahead. The possible impeachment of a sitting President, a UK without a functional majority in government tackling Brexit, the threat of an escalation of hostilities on the Korean Peninsula, the crisis in the Middle East around Qatar, there's a lot of stuff going on that could hurt the markets.

That may be the case, but there's always some impending negative macro event that will cause the next financial crisis/market correction. There are also positive macro trends with renewable energy that Tesla stands to benefit from. Trump backing out of the Paris agreement is corralling state and local leaders together in support of renewables and EVs.

I'm sticking to the lesson I learned from 2013. Not selling any shares. I have some 270, 280 and 300 Jan 19 LEAPs I plan on exercising to stock when the time comes. Only if I can time a short squeeze will these be sold.

Ken,
Thanks for the well researched cautious note. I tend to agree with most of it but have hard time matching your sentiment with that of Prof. Robert Shiller. He is advising to stay in the market for another 50% run! o_O Nobel winner Robert Shiller: Stay in the market because it ‘could go up 50 percent from here’

As I see, Mr. Shiller generally tend to be cautious and conservative in his approach to markets and asset valuations. Bullish sentiment in this market from a so called perma-bear? Where do you see the disconnect? Thanks

'flash crash' metaphorically perhaps - not by the current meaning established by the 2010 inceptive event though--

This drop was produced from a market-wide secular rotation - precipitating from a market squeeze occurring over the last months and highly accelerated recently. The squeeze is between a lagging Equities market trading on growth and momentum (recently turning to and now correcting from- Tech)- squeezed by the massive Bond market in the other direction; While uncertainty in all markets moves higher from very low levels, induced from equally historic catalysts.
--Money flows as we approach historically divergent Bond-Equity correlations of current conditions against future expectations, each coming to grips with same; Equities catching up to Bonds IMO.
(see discussion and data markers in the macro thread)

TSLA effect:
1) This is NOT coming from anything specific to Tesla- It's macro induced pure and simple. The only tentacle specific to Tesla is actually positive (net positive, not as an absolute). Tesla is migrating from a high risk, startup, capital-poor investment to a viable Tech-Hybrid high growth. It's actually part of luvb2b's recent play that many here assumed had failed to manifest- It did not.
It's happening, independent of and front-run by the above conditions prescribed. The market is deciding preemptively to make that transition (induced by it's desperation for any growth sources).
This will give Tesla some cushion along with it's pending growth on the receiving end of segment and equity exit volatility -
(IOW drops less than others due to correlation to mature risk (Apple/Amazon/etc) rather than massive drops of a highly leveraged concern.

2) Despite VERY strong catalysts coming for TSLA in the coming months. It will not be immune to macro effects (clearly demonstrated). As such, my call is this is early indication of pending risk from the above described (and see macro thread). These volatile macro and sector wide drops will be INCREASING in coming months and take on greater urgencies as this squeeze works through. The unknown is whether it will induce something longer in term (Recessive or Bull to Bear secular transition). Regardless of that though- I'm strongly advising core strong TSLA but common only. All Option and Margin investments remitted to discretionary roulette wheel entertainment only.

We are right at a crossroad here on which way our Investment macro world is going to go- and although we are in historically virgin territory, my best call from data and experience says extreme caution but strongly invested - 6 months outlook: Orange Alert: market volatile

If a metaphor would help:
The macro clouds are now deep and dark with intermittent thunder and visible funnel clouds forming.
Stop putting your Life needs outdoors;
Come inside, close the door and windows-
Crack a bottle of Merlot and enjoy Life.
When the first tornado passes, don't f... go outside hoping to play before the next one hits.
Just Crack another-- and relax...

2 pennies for my TMC friends--

Using Ray Dalio model (largest hedge fund manager in the world), I think a big market decline won't happen before 3 years.

The market is high however when we compare it using interest rates, it's actually ok. In 2000 and in 2007, the market was very high but the interest rates were 6%.
Whereas now, we're at " graphically " bubble levels, but with 0,25% interest rates, that's actually pretty low.

Last edited:
Ken,
Thanks for the well researched cautious note. I tend to agree with most of it but have hard time matching your sentiment with that of Prof. Robert Shiller. He is advising to stay in the market for another 50% run! o_O Nobel winner Robert Shiller: Stay in the market because it ‘could go up 50 percent from here’

Bullish sentiment in this market from a so called perma-bear?
Where do you see the disconnect? Thanks

OK let's compare all 3;
My advice, the translation of his advice, and his advice.
Here we go

My advice:
Maintain FULL CORE TSLA (for 5+ years),
In common only, under current and impending macro risk;
Not leveraged in Options or margin (only discretionary, roulette for those)
So that you can comfortably ride through a much elevated accute macro risk (historically new territory)-
To assure capture of potentially massive increase in TSLA, while riding thru the afore mentioned historically elevated macro risk-
not yet calling for Recessive or secular Bull to Bear transition- but extreme risk of event driven corrections, that may well lead to this -
timeframe 0-6 months hard watch - keep core fully in but unleveraged...

Translation of Shiller's advice producing a disconnect:
"Schiller is advising to stay in the market for another 50% run!
Bullish sentiment- from a so called perma-bear"

Schiller' advice untranslated:
"I would say have some stocks in your portfolio. It could go up 50 percent from here. That's what it did around 2000, after it reached this level, it went up another 50 percent."
Shiller CAPE PE Ratio
1495566757_shillerpe.PNG

{Not specified by Schiller words, but communicated from his graph of his market valuation method -
THE ONLY TIME IN ALL OF HISTORY, including the Great Depression, it went up from here AT ALL much less 50%, was 2000. And that, Without any corresponding socio-political risks we currrenlty have, historically never experienced, and Without any of he Fed balance sheet and interest rate challenges, also historically never experienced.}

More from Schiller:
"So I'm not against investing in the stock market when you consider the alternatives.

But I think if one wants to diversify, US is high in its CAPE ratio. You can go practically anywhere else in the world and it's lower,
" Shiller said. "We could even set a new another record high in CAPE, that's not a forecast."

However, even though the current CAPE ratio is at 29, which is above the 17 historical average, the economist is not calling for a market decline.

"I can see it as a real possibility that stocks prices and house prices would both keep going up for years, but I'm not forecasting that by any means," he added.

--
{The following Exhibit 2 posting I made in the macro thread, shows exactly Schiller's cautionary tale, investments are seeking better Equity risk values outside the US,
and additionally shows (not pointed out by Schiller),
Bond funds are also beneficial receivers of these flows- further driving down long term Bond Yields, which includes the market assessment of Equity futures relative to these 'anemic other alternatives' Schiller references -
this strongly signals a very new macro dynamic and a possible strong correlation to the new US current relationship fomented by our new international interactions- never before undertaken by our government - of course, it could be something else less ominous, regardless the result is the same and duly recorded in the data}
IMG_0167.JPG

Additional closing comments from me:
The 'saving grace' prevalent in counter arguments utilizes current low interest rates, compared to the only other time in history the market went higher from here (2000).
In 2000 Fed rates were about 6% (precipitacely dropping over the following year to 2%) with 2000 GDP running about 4%.

Today we have a Fed rate of 1% (next week very likely moving higher) and GDP about 2%.
Each will make their own assessment of how that net difference produces an effective, first-time-in-history, deterrent to market correction risk, given current dynamics (Other economic data, Fed balance sheet, Socio-Political, World events, etc.).

My assessment is
that once effective argument is quickly diminishing and running its course-
Is scheduled to become an unreliable hedge.
hence my heightened warnings--

Last edited:
OK let's compare all 3;
Here we go

My advice:
So that you can comfortably ride through a much elevated accute macro risk (historically new territory)-
To assure capture of potentially massive increase in TSLA, while riding thru the afore mentioned historically elevated macro risk-
not yet calling for Recessive or secular Bull to Bear transition- but extreme risk of event driven corrections, that may well lead to this -

"I would say have some stocks in your portfolio. It could go up 50 percent from here. That's what it did around 2000, after it reached this level, it went up another 50 percent.
Shiller CAPE PE Ratio
1495566757_shillerpe.PNG

{Not specified by Schiller words, but communicated from his graph of his market valuation method -
THE ONLY TIME IN ALL OF HISTORY, including the Great Depression, it went up from here AT ALL much less 50%, was 2000. And that, Without any corresponding socio-political risks we currrenlty have, historically never experienced, and Without any of he Fed balance sheet and interest rate challenges, also historically never experienced.}

More from Schiller:
"So I'm not against investing in the stock market when you consider the alternatives.

But I think if one wants to diversify, US is high in its CAPE ratio. You can go practically anywhere else in the world and it's lower,
" Shiller said. "We could even set a new another record high in CAPE, that's not a forecast."

However, even though the current CAPE ratio is at 29, which is above the 17 historical average, the economist is not calling for a market decline.

"I can see it as a real possibility that stocks prices and house prices would both keep going up for years, but I'm not forecasting that by any means," he added.

--
{The following Exhibit 2 posting I made in the macro thread, shows exactly Schiller's cautionary tale, investments are seeking better Equity risk values outside the US,
Bond funds are also beneficial receivers of these flows- further driving down long term Bond Yields, which includes the market assessment of Equity futures relative to these 'anemic other alternatives' Schiller references -
this strongly signals a very new macro dynamic and a possible strong correlation to the new US current relationship fomented by our new international interactions- never before undertaken by our government - of course, it could be something else less ominous, regardless the result is the same and duly recorded in the data}
View attachment 230757

The 'saving grace' prevalent in counter arguments utilizes current low interest rates, compared to the only other time in history the market went higher from here (2000).
In 2000 Fed rates were about 6% (precipitacely dropping over the following year to 2%) with 2000 GDP running about 4%.

Today we have a Fed rate of 1% (next week very likely moving higher) and GDP about 2%.
Each will make their own assessment of how that difference produces an effective, first-time-in-history, deterrent to market correction risk, given current dynamics (Other economic data, Fed balance sheet, Socio-Political, World events, etc.).

My assessment is
Fantastic post. Thank you. When I started seriously investing in Tesla, I put the rest of our money (retirement and non-retirement) in index ETFs. Those have done well, and actually rebalanced the ETFs in the wife's taxable account and put "the gains" in Tesla, Apple and Amazon earlier this year. I'm now considering liquidating the index ETFs and have it on the sidelines to jump on Tesla (and Amazon...the wife loves Amazon). I also just initiated a rollover request from my former employer's Roth 401k into my Roth IRA. I was going to put it in index ETFs until the time came to exercise the Tesla LEAPs. I'm rethinking that strategy now.

OK let's compare all 3;
Here we go

My advice:

"I would say have some stocks in your portfolio. It could go up 50 percent from here. That's what it did around 2000, after it reached this level, it went up another 50 percent.
Shiller CAPE PE Ratio
1495566757_shillerpe.PNG

More from Schiller:

--
View attachment 230757

Each will make their own assessment of how that difference produces an effective, first-time-in-history, deterrent to market correction risk, given current dynamics (Other economic data, Fed balance sheet, Socio-Political, World events, etc.).

My assessment is

Just an anecdote. We just went to see a grand opening of a new housing community. It was crazy packed. We went in, looked at the houses we were interested in, looked at the lay of the land and got out. Too many people to even talk to representatives (lines deep). My wife remarked that the last time she saw this much interest and "craziness" for homes was in 2005-2006. Heating up?

On a TSLA note. This is why I am glad Elon is releasing the Model 3 early. Got to get it out there now, during the rising market (at least for the short term, I'm guessing rising for at least 2018 to 2019).

Great comment! Thanks!

OK let's compare all 3;
Here we go

My advice:

"I would say have some stocks in your portfolio. It could go up 50 percent from here. That's what it did around 2000, after it reached this level, it went up another 50 percent."
Shiller CAPE PE Ratio
1495566757_shillerpe.PNG

More from Schiller:

--
View attachment 230757

Each will make their own assessment of how that net difference produces an effective, first-time-in-history, deterrent to market correction risk, given current dynamics (Other economic data, Fed balance sheet, Socio-Political, World events, etc.).

My assessment is

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Long term momentum strategies based upon 6-12 month moving averages work well (at least in backtesting analyses) to protect in bear market declines. I use a variation of Global Equities Momentum by Antonacci, using a 12 month moving average. The strategy allows you to stay fully invested in either the S&P 500 or an International index based upon which is performing better. If both are performing below T-Bills then you exit equities altogether and move into treasuries/bonds. This strategy does not get you out at the exact top nor back in at the exact bottom but it does very well at protecting from big declines. The drawback is whipsawing in a non-trending market. Keep in mind these are for index funds and not for individual stocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.