Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2012: 20-25 kWh cost you $10000 (40->60->85). 2017: 20 kWh cost you $9000 (community guess seems to be 55->75).

That's almost no reduction in consumer cost in 5 years. So, yea, if Tesla can't bring down battery costs, they'd damn well better get crazy good efficiency with the Model 3! A giant chunk of Tesla's touted advantage and thus stock price, and major purpose of the gigafactory, was bringing down battery costs. Where are those battery cost reductions?

True. However, a big bear argument is charging is too slow. If Tesla has slow supercharging at 55kWh, they're not addressing one of the big two issues: range and charge time. And, again, another of Tesla's advantages is supercharging and Telsa has said repeatedly, for years, that they can get charge times down even farther. Yet, 5 years later, the Model 3 can't even keep pace with the 2012 Model S on charging. I'd expect parity if they'd made advancement.

From what I can see, after 5 years there have been almost no reductions in battery cost and no improvements in charging rate.

That said, maybe where we're at is "good enough" with all the awareness of Tesla and EVs. I hope so. I suspect if the Model 3 had come out 5 years ago it'd have been absolutely hammered on 45 minute supercharging times. Tesla had to fight tooth and nail to market 50% charge in 20 minutes as not being too slow.
I believe you are confusing pricing and cost. Tesla has chosen to price the Long Range M3 at $44K because they believe that is what the consumers are willing to pay. They locked in the $35K price for the standard M3 several years ago. We have no idea what Tesla's costs are for either version. But we can assume that they priced the battery upgrade so that they will reach their target gross margin based on the expected mix between the entry version where they likely make little gross profit and the Long Range which has much fatter margins.

Elon is likely to hit all his remaining milestones for his incentive based stock options.

Remaining items were:
Complete first Model 3 production vehicle [Completed this month]
Gross margin of at least 30 percent for four consecutive quarters [this one may be the hardest to complete]
Aggregate production of 200,000 vehicles [Likely completed this quarter]
Aggregate production of 300,000 vehicles [Likely completed by Q1 2018]

The wording of the gross margin target for the employee stock option plan is as follows, but the CEO stock option plan may be worded differently:

• an annualized gross margin of greater than 30.0% for any three-year period.

I'm not sure if it makes sense tbh... wouldn't the annualized gross margin of a three-year period just be the average of the three-year period?

Last edited:
I doubt the earnings will be a positive catalyst though ... at best neutral.
Two things -
. by the time of earnings, TSLA might be a bit too oversold
.everything negative all baked in

Earnings always has surprises in terms of SP reaction. I can recall a few times when earnings seemed negative and SP reacted positively and vice versa.

Personally, Staying put ... just following on Yahoo Finance and not even logging into my trading account ...

True--sell before the news and earnings as report this quarter is going to be blah-- ie capital expense. The forward looking statements and projections for the end of year and one year out will be very positive from TE, solar, and large volume M3 projections. Sell before the news to get in at a lower entry point. Please keep your arms and hands within the ride and buckle up!

Gut feelings. Friday evening I was confronted by an individual excited about the M3, but clueless thinking the MX in front of him was not a 3. That being said, he was excited about the product. I informed him that the first 30 M3s were being handed off that evening and we headed for ice cream:)

While Friday's enthusiasts was cool; we encountered yet another individual at a local art festival Saturday. He asked us all about the car and then said he was having to wait for another year to receive his. I asked, "oh are you waiting for the M3" and he said, "no." I know more than the average ten year old so I asked are you sure since this is an MX, and he said yes. When I got home, I researched both the current inventory for the S & X and found a reasonable inventory of both; with a noticeable interesting point. No 100Ds, there were P100Ds but no 100Ds to speak of. . . So now I am wondering about a paid reservation list for MSs & MXs 100Ds. . . 2Q17 there was a hiccup with 100Ds and I know that for us the tipping point was the 100D, so I am just sayin'. Maybe the tipping point was the 100D for a lot of folks.

We reclused the rest of the weekend, but two days in a row of enthusiastic Tesla want-a-Bs is a lot here in the northwest ~ just sayin':rolleyes:. Also, my five year old grandson may know more about the MX than me, but then he and his sister will inherit the stock and the car:eek:

• Informative
Reactions: madodel and neroden
I was thinking the same thing except that I would guess that most of the conference call and focus will actually be on the Model 3 unless they specifically try not to talk about it. If they drop some juicy news about Model 3 or the Buffalo factory too it could easily overshadow quarterly stuff. But I don't know you are probably right, best to be conservative.

And you're correct. Apparently, I'm in opposite land still, myself.
Aliceroom3.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: CatB and Lessmog
I deleveraged quite a bit last week and this morning when TSLA was still a little green. Sticking mostly to shares for now as I don't expect a steep rise soon while I do see some risk for further drop into August. We've got about 6 weeks of this until the stock may react to the Semi reveal. Of course, if some institutional investors decide to add shares then this stock could start rising at any point, shorts will cover, and traders will jump in causing an amplified rise.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
Status
Not open for further replies.