Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be. Mnuchin has said he will use "Treasury secretary superpowers" to make sure that all the government's bills are paid.

(Four of these have been identified: the trillion-dollar platinum coin, perpetual bonds or "consols", a gift from the Federal Reserve to reduce the public debt, and the risky strategy of declaring the debt limit unconstitutional. Of these, the platinum coin is absolutely 100% legal and authorized; the others are more questionable. Many commenters do not understand this because they're fools.)

I'm not at all sure the debt limit is constitutional. Cf. for example: Our National Debt 'Shall Not Be Questioned,' the Constitution Says

Any guesses on market action this week? Does TSLA end the week up, down, or flat? It is coming off of a lower high from 10 days ago. It seems like it will be a no news week in terms of TSLA. I would expect lower volume trading given it is still vacation time. Semi event is still a ways out. When will TSLA hit a price where buyers start showing up again? From end of day Friday:
Justin Pulitzer‏ @JustinPulitzer
MOC -$424M to Sell… Last look.

Does this mean the market is not likely to bounce on Monday? The S&P is below the trendline now and looking iffy. Perhaps it gets a little relief rally this week? QQQs will likely depend on AAPL holding up. Needs to stay above the 50 MA. Political situation looks wacky but uncertainty there seems like the new normal. Any thoughts out there???

Notice Tesla Motors changed their home page tab of the Model 3.
There is now a "Check Your Estimated Delivery" tab.
I reserved April 1st, 2016, not a current Tesla owner, reside Toronto, Canada, the result was simply "late 2018". When reserving I recall my reservation order was +-282,000 although reservation # shown on my account uses a different numbering system, and understand Tesla employees, existing Tesla car owners and US take priority.

• Informative
Reactions: KLC13
Any guesses on market action this week? Does TSLA end the week up, down, or flat?

Unexpected macro events aside, the only thing I believe will move the stock price this week would be some update on the status of Model 3 production.

Like the 2012/13 wait for Model S ramp, and the 2016 "production hell" of Model X, shareholders will be watching closely.

• Helpful
Reactions: DurandalAI
Anyone know when the Jan 2020 LEAPS will come out for Tesla? I found this:

When are the exchanges going to list 2020 LEAPS®?
2020 LEAPS will be rolled out over a three month period.

Cycle 1: Monday, September 11th, 2017: January 2020 LEAPS® listed

Cycle 2: Monday, October 16th, 2017: January 2020 LEAPS® listed

Cycle 3: Monday, November 13th, 2017: January 2020 LEAPS® listed

Is TSLA Cycle 1, 2, or 3?

Any guesses on market action this week? Does TSLA end the week up, down, or flat? It is coming off of a lower high from 10 days ago. It seems like it will be a no news week in terms of TSLA. I would expect lower volume trading given it is still vacation time. Semi event is still a ways out. When will TSLA hit a price where buyers start showing up again? From end of day Friday:
Justin Pulitzer‏ @JustinPulitzer
MOC -$424M to Sell… Last look.

Does this mean the market is not likely to bounce on Monday? The S&P is below the trendline now and looking iffy. Perhaps it gets a little relief rally this week? QQQs will likely depend on AAPL holding up. Needs to stay above the 50 MA. Political situation looks wacky but uncertainty there seems like the new normal. Any thoughts out there???
SPY at 240 seems to be the spot that people are looking at for a relief rally (obviously the market likes to pre-empt/contradict all the time). I would buy TSLA down at that level, my only concern is where is the Tesla news coming from between now and end of September?
Why would Musk tweet 'hey guys M3 is at 200 per week' when that is still at the early stages of the ramp and lots of things can go wrong between that level and 5000 per week.... unless maybe the SP was tanking and he wanted to defend it.

Anyone know when the Jan 2020 LEAPS will come out...

Is TSLA Cycle 1, 2, or 3?
Cycle 3. Up in Nov
Be aware though not all strikes roll out at once. Far OTM are often delayed
And IVs are often elevated initially.
Depending on events of course, it sometimes pays to wait a month or two while holding the position intended in J19s.
Not always the case, but just offering that consideration.
Don't LEAP before you LOOK

A former employee of German car maker Audi, who is now in prison, is accusing the entire board of management of Audi including later CEO of VW Martin Winterkorn of knowing about the diesel exhaust fraud already since 2007. It is said that a number of emails as well as several detailed presentations were handed over to the investigating institutions (link).
This is getting interesting as all the managers in question publicly stated several times that they did not have any knowledge about the diesel exhaust fraud. In case these new accusations turn out to be true, all these folks would have lied several times in public.
Let's see how this pans out.

On topic for Market Action:
I just had a look at SP trend of TSLA compared to the traditional car makers.
Looking at the charts it is so obvious that a lot of people put their money where their mouth is and the gap between TSLA and the traditional car makers is widening and widening. At some point in time it might make sense going short some of the traditional car makers.
Lovely.

Last edited:
SPY at 240 seems to be the spot that people are looking at for a relief rally (obviously the market likes to pre-empt/contradict all the time). I would buy TSLA down at that level, my only concern is where is the Tesla news coming from between now and end of September?
Why would Musk tweet 'hey guys M3 is at 200 per week' when that is still at the early stages of the ramp and lots of things can go wrong between that level and 5000 per week.... unless maybe the SP was tanking and he wanted to defend it.
Thanks. Very true about a lack of expected TSLA news for a while. But, isn't this the time when the share price sometimes starts rising inexplicably? Just when you think there isn't anything that would move it short term? IMO that's the reason not to trade around known events too much. The whole market seems to do that, so it tends to change the dynamics. Of course, macros are another thing and the market is particularly unstable right now. That may continue through September with the debt ceiling impasse, but if the market is already expecting that uncertainty, who knows how it will respond. I'm going to set up some LEAP buys based upon further dips. If they hit, I'll consider it a good long term deal. Otherwise, sitting tight for the most part.

Indeed. One of the first things I do in the morning when I wake up is to read the Roundtable general and market action threads. This morning did not start well, barely any posts since last night :(

Only positive I see is that the european exchanges is not in deep red today and Hang Seng index is actually up 0.4%, so maybe...just maybe it will turn out to be a good day.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden
Don't think it has anything to do with the macros though. The macros seem to be holding up well. This seems more like a long squeeze where short is trying to squeeze out some weak longs by breaking some technical barriers..
Wow, I think you're right. Down over 1.5% right off the bat. Tech stocks up. We will see how far this dip goes. The shorts may cover here at some point, starting it back up. Then it will depend upon buyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.