Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So is that the reason why poetry is "banned" here... didn't know! Learn something new everyday.

The poetry ban goes back to a moment when TSLA surged and a good portion of the regulars on this forum, led by yours truly, broke out in verse to celebrate. Even Curt was waxing poetically. Needless to say, the bottom fell out of the stock the next day. Haiku is reputed to be the most harmful. I have now chained myself to my desk and endeavor to produce daily charts as penance for my sin.

Moderator: this post is appropriate for this thread because a certain moderator just posted some verse with immediate negative reaction from the stock price. 'Tis dangerous ground we tread when the verse comes out. That said, I made a wager with a certain Nigel that Model 3 would begin production in 2017. He didn't believe me, and the loser must post verse speaking in praise of the winner. Please sell your short-term holdings prior to that event.

Last edited:
Sorry but have to say something here. Let's not turn this into a Yahoo Message board by pumping up other stocks. Disagree if you wish...
Okay cool! Point well taken
I figured it wouldn't hurt to know what else is working in the markets besides Tesla
I'm not really pumping BABA
I only have less than 1000 shares of BABA as opposed to over xxxxx Tesla not counting options
So BABA is chump change for me compared to TSLA

Speculation!

There has to be a reason or multiple reasons for the recent surge. I believe the most likely reason is large institution(s) accumulating shares.
Apparently evidence of lowish volume is against this. (Though it looks like this was happening in January.)

We have evidence of a short-covering rally. I think that shorts are getting out ahead of earnings in case of a great earnings report. They may pile back in after earnings.

Tesla the more I think about it this seems like a singular Rare Stock that needs to be bought and never sold
By never I mean not for the next 7 to 10 years

My family always looks for those -- buy-and-hold, file-and-forget stocks. My grandmother bought Standard Oil of New Jersey in the 1950s. We sold it (ExxonMobil by then) in 2008. I'm not sure Tesla will have THAT long a run, but here's hoping.

yeah the smartest thing regarding Tesla would be to just follow Elon musk's example and keep on buying shares and never sell them

Lessse: I've bought TSLA, bought TSLA LEAP calls (both in-the-money and out-of-the-money), sold TSLA puts (both in-the-money and out-of-the-money), and after the merger announcement, bought SCTY, sold SCTY puts (both in-the-money and out-of-the-money), bought SCTY LEAP calls (out-of-the-money)... All bullish bets.

I've never sold a share and I've never made a bearish bet. I've made *neutral* bets (betting the stock will probably stay steady and maybe go up). But I would never dare to make a bearish move on TSLA. This month is why.

NVDA earnings was a beat and good guidance. Looks like it was priced in though.
Agreed, I do love shorting hot companies into earnings. I shorted right at the bell at 117.30 and was able to cover immediately after the report (and predictable overreaction) under 110. I think it will end up green after this report - it was a good one - but algos and traders are pretty irrational under these circumstances.

See! I can make good trades once in a while too! Just ignore my 75% failure rate on short term bets,

To bring it back to TSLA, I think NVDA's earnings will provide a blueprint for Feb 22. TSLA has been running hard, just like NVDA (ignoring the actual size of moves, obviously NVDA has grown much more on a percentage basis lately). Even though it has amazing long-term potential in my view, I think technical traders and speculators will take TSLA down immediately after earnings, unless the report is STELLAR. Shorts of course feel TSLA is massively overvalued and will trade on this conviction no matter what the report says. Then, TSLA will regain its footing not long thereafter, assuming it's an OK report.

All a guess, obviously.

What would you guys do with some March 200 calls? Sell now, or risk closer to or after ER?
Long calls for $200 for March?

What would I do? Me, personally, I'd hang onto them and execute them in March, to add to my core holdings at an amazing cost basis and defer all taxation on gains into the distant future. But then I have the cash to execute the options I buy. If you don't have the capital to do that, you may not have that option.

In addition, you're in Norway and your tax system is totally different from the US. Here in the US, if you sell them now you pay higher tax rates than if you execute them and hold the stock for a year before selling. This may not be true in Norway, I dunno.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Agreed, I do love shorting hot companies into earnings. I shorted right at the bell at 117.30 and was able to cover immediately after the report (and predictable overreaction) under 110. I think it will end up green after this report - it was a good one - but algos and traders are pretty irrational under these circumstances.

See! I can make good trades once in a while too! Just ignore my 75% failure rate on short term bets,

To bring it back to TSLA, I think NVDA's earnings will provide a blueprint for Feb 22. TSLA has been running hard, just like NVDA (ignoring the actual size of moves, obviously NVDA has grown much more on a percentage basis lately). Even though it has amazing long-term potential in my view, I think technical traders and speculators will take TSLA down immediately after earnings, unless the report is STELLAR.
I agree -- but I'm not sure what would count as stellar. Since the average analyst's report is assuming TSLA will show a 77 cent/share loss, I figure anything which is in profit will count as "stellar". A loss of less than 77 cents will probably cause TSLA to go down after earnings, though.

Reactions: esk8mw
What would you guys do with some March 200 calls?

I had some very nice gains on March 180 calls. I took some profits and rolled some forward to June 180 calls because it didn't cost hardly anything when I did it and it gives me the Q1 delivery numbers and Q1 ER. I always like a backup plan. Let's face it, Q4 ER is not a sure bet. The SP may go up afterwards, it may go down. I'd take some profits and roll some forward to June. That's what I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.