Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bearish oil inventory report was just announced.

Be careful if you're looking for a day trade in TSLA today.

Honestly, I think TSLA is disconnected from oil at this point. Maybe not forever, but it hasnt seemed to be phased by oil prices. I know has been in the past. Unless gas prices are going to less then $1, which I guess could happen, I dont think it would matter.

Honestly, I think TSLA is disconnected from oil at this point. Maybe not forever, but it hasnt seemed to be phased by oil prices. I know has been in the past. Unless gas prices are going to less then $1, which I guess could happen, I dont think it would matter.

I agree that TSLA will do well in the longer term regardless of oil prices.

Higher gas prices, however, could lead to an even better performance.

Reactions: hoang51
I missed most of it. Did the bicycle theft guy get to ask his question and get a definitive answer this year?

I was there in person and can report what happened off camera. The guy who had the bicycle stolen was indeed there, but he was wearing a leather jacket, and the gals who hijacked the meeting over the leather seats issue a few years back saw this, pounced on him, and it was a wild wrestling match for a while. You remember that guy from even farther back who told Elon that he should be hired to run TSLA because he was such a genius? Well, he was there and did indeed show some leadership by moving the wrestling match out into the parking lot, but I still don't think Elon is going to run with the suggestion. Of course it is entirely possible that all of this was a daydream.

In market-pertinent news, the upper bollinger band is showing 357.64 right now on the chart I'm looking at, up from 351.87 at closing yesterday, and so the upper bb tractor beam is not pulling so hard today compared to yesterday.

A quick newbe question: I own some Jun9 362.5 Calls. It's the first time I own calls which expire soon.

So I need to guess when to sell them and take profit or wait until Friday to take more profit or loose all. That's clear. But what happens if I do nothing? Do they just get worthless or will they be sold with the closing price (if it is above 362.5)?

I think you are at the mercy of your brokerage. As the other poster said, I once had some options expire a penny in the money and ended up with a huge amount of shares and a huge negative cash balance. But I think this is a goodwill situation from your broker. If you have 50 contracts, they aren't going to buy you 1.81M in stock. Sell the contracts.

Reactions: neroden
I got some fresh dry powder in my account and the best investment I can think for it would be TSLA -- since 90% of my account is in that anyway ;)

However, I feel reluctant buying when the SP is just about at ATH. Previously I always purchased on dips, but I'm not sure I can expect any in the near future...

Any advice ?

• Informative
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
I got some fresh dry powder in my account and the best investment I can think for it would be TSLA -- since 90% of my account is in that anyway ;)

However, I feel reluctant buying when the SP is just about at ATH. Previously I always purchased on dips, but I'm not sure I can expect any in the near future...

Any advice ?
same!
I pulled out of my core tsla position for the first time since i started purchasing in 2013. Run up from 340- 360 this week came out of no where and I was expecting a "sell on the news" downward trend today. Doesn't seem to have happened as of yet.

Finance wizards: Assuming the following becomes likely for 2018, what should TSLA be worth. Feel free to challenge my assumptions:

100k Model S & X sales worldwide, 100k ASP, 10B in revenue
400k Model 3 sales worldwide, 42.5k ASP, 17B in revenue
Tesla Energy products, 1B in revenue
Total projected revenue in 2018 of 28B
Gross Margins were about 23% for 2016. Tesla wants 30% GM. Maybe they split the difference and achieve 26% during the 3 ramp?

I do not know what total expenses of SG&A, R&D, and interest will be. Tesla's massive expansion plans including new factories, Model Y, Semi, Pickup, are going to be expensive.

I think 400k Model 3's for 2018 is very optimistic. So is TE projection. So is 26% GM. But so be it, lets go ahead with your numbers.

28B revenue, 26% GM is 7.28B gross profits.

Operating Expenses as of the latest quarter were 925Mil. These expenses have grown at approximately 75% annualised rate since early 2013 (initial Model S volume production). I see no slowing down on this based on some of Musk's commentary in yesterday's shareholder meeting. At this growth rate for all of 2018 OpEx will be about 8.5Bil... If we were to take a more conservative projection of 50% growth in OpEx, it will be 6.68Bil.

Interest Expense for latest quarter was about 100Mil. I have no idea how to project this for 2018. But looking at historical growth you get anywhere from 50% annual growth to 120% plus growth rate based on which starting point you pick. If we were to conservatively use the 50% growth rate, the 2018 projection would be about 700mil.

With these projections we will still have Net Income losses.

For reference, consensues analyst projections for 2018 are 19Bil revenue and 191Mil loss as of now.

Status
Not open for further replies.