Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Free alternative to CarFax: Check Any VIN - It's Free | Free VIN Check and Vehicle History

The site limits you to about a dozen searches a day (its probably easily spoofed with a VPN to mask IP)

I discovered the following valid vins:

5YJ3E1EA9HF001134
5YJ3E1EA0HF001135
5YJ3E1EABHF001136
5YJ3E1EADHF001137
5YJ3E1EAFHF001138

My current theory is that the Check Digit (underlined) climbs sequencially 1-9,0,B,D,E,F...every other letter, recycle the list.

Next valid VIN should be 5YJ3E1EAHHF001139
no.

Valid Check digits are 0-9 and X. The final step in check digit calculation is divide by 11, the remainder is the check digit. If the remainder is 10, then use X. The full formula is easily found on the internet.

5YJ3E1EA6HF999999: Free Vehicle History Report - Vehicle Specifications

That site is quite happy to accept any VIN, and is thus useless for tracking anything.

At least we should have some more European delivery numbers to chew on tomorrow before the press release. If anyone is considering some short term plays.

Usually we only get 1 consistently the very next day and that is Sweden. However it isn't as rosy as Norway's. Details here. Maybe we get the Netherlands too today but some months they are also delayed by quite a bit. Based on just the Netherlands and Sweden we should be able to accurately predict were the EU falls.

The market is looking for model x type delays. That's why even Adam Jonas is only predicting 2000 deliveries for 2017. All the experts say they didn't do enough testing for a successful launch. That's what the market believes right now.
yeah... even if they do roll out slowly... Mr Market has already baked that into the "greater than all other US auto manufacturers" valuation... duh... right?... high five... &*&*( it.

Seems hard to believe..
But if true ....

snafukoala
Comments (24) |+ Follow |Send Message
A friend of mine just took delivery of number 1674 in California. I guess they are up to it least that.

Posted on sa. Comment under an article of Valueanalyst.
VIN 1674 isn't registered with the NHTSA, so it's unlikely that's a correct number.

Seems hard to believe..
But if true ....

snafukoala
Comments (24) |+ Follow |Send Message
A friend of mine just took delivery of number 1674 in California. I guess they are up to it least that.

Posted on sa. Comment under an article of Valueanalyst.

Thank you for keeping an eye on comments to my articles and relentlessly responding to FUD. I really appreciate it.

I would warn everyone that Seeking Alpha comments section can be very contentious on TSLA, so take this with a fist of salt. Having said that, this user does seem to have made genuine comments in the past, but they started commenting in 2017, so very new. Tough to take this comment seriously without proof since TMC tracking only went up to ~500.

Last edited:
Reactions: erthquake
Just to clarify, 1500 was **not** a delivery guidance, but an estimate of cars **produced** in Q3.
Thanks for the correction. Unfortunately, 1500 is frequently quoted by the media as delivery guidance from Tesla. I just did a quick search myself and here is one quote from 2 days ago: "Unfortunately for Tesla investors, Baird analyst Ben Kallo said Friday that Q3 Model 3 deliveries may fall short of expectations. Baird estimates that Tesla delivered 500 Model 3s in Q3, although Kallo speculated that delays may have pushed that number to as low as 300. Tesla had previously guided for 1,500 Model 3 deliveries in the quarter."

I think the market perception is that Tesla guidance is for 1,500 Model 3 delivered. Even Kallo seems to be preparing investors for Tesla being behind on Model 3 production/deliveries. I think here, most consider a shift to the main production line as a good indication about the ramp. However, I think it may be a jump to anticipate the market reacting so positively to these expected numbers. Kallo's numbers seem pretty accurate and yet he seems to be anticipating a negative market reaction. He suggests buying any weakness as a result of the delivery numbers. His expected S/X numbers are 25,900, which looks pretty close to what many here are expecting. I hope the market does react positively but I remain cautiously skeptical about market reaction to these numbers.

Thanks for the correction. Unfortunately, 1500 is frequently quoted by the media as delivery guidance from Tesla. I just did a quick search myself and here is one quote from 2 days ago: "Unfortunately for Tesla investors, Baird analyst Ben Kallo said Friday that Q3 Model 3 deliveries may fall short of expectations. Baird estimates that Tesla delivered 500 Model 3s in Q3, although Kallo speculated that delays may have pushed that number to as low as 300. Tesla had previously guided for 1,500 Model 3 deliveries in the quarter."

I think the market perception is that Tesla guidance is for 1,500 Model 3 delivered. Even Kallo seems to be preparing investors for Tesla being behind on Model 3 production/deliveries. I think here, most consider a shift to the main production line as a good indication about the ramp. However, I think it may be a jump to anticipate the market reacting so positively to these expected numbers. Kallo's numbers seem pretty accurate and yet he seems to be anticipating a negative market reaction. He suggests buying any weakness as a result of the delivery numbers. His expected S/X numbers are 25,900, which looks pretty close to what many here are expecting. I hope the market does react positively but I remain cautiously skeptical about market reaction to these numbers.

I noticed the same disconnect between delivery vs. production expectations, so I addressed that in my article published today. I think enough people realize the difference between the two that 500-1,000 Model 3's delivered in 3Q17 should not turn into a big FUD debacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.