Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In all the articles/interviews today covering the semi event I haven't seen anyone mention that there will be an extra surprise. Apparently this is mostly unknown to the market.
I think the surprise element was pretty well covered when EM tweeted that the event should "blow your mind clear out of its skull". I would be shocked if the market doesn't have high expectations for this event...

Yes, I think you are correct. As I understand the points being made by @schonelucht the question is what happens if the delays continue. I really see no serious supplier financing problems either. Tesla has been quite quick to resolve significant problems there.

The major real issue is that every delay gives ammunition to shorts and encourages FUD. That effectively seems to reduce the share price, which then accelerates the pace of FUD. Until these issues have been made undebatable we’ll continue to have doubt-based market movements.

I wish I were wrong about the previous paragraph.
In other words buying opportunities will continue.

Which is good news for people who are accumulating shares or traders with dry powder.

I bought Nov 24 315 and 330 calls on this dip. Given the current price level I see much more room to run up on unexpected positive news than down on an underwhelming reveal (+ something else).

Generally it's difficult to make money on out of money short term calls, especially if the premium is very high. You could if something very special is revealed tonight.

When I really want to make a short term directional bet, I use spread instead of simple Calls or Puts.

With one exception, when all the starts are aligned perfectly, I go with Calls only. That may happen once in a few years on each stock.

"Buy the rumor, sell the news" is a phenomenon that has a valid reason, and it happens frequently. I would try to avoid it.

Last edited:
Unless margin on the BEVs will be better than ICE cars, don’t expect the dealerships in most areas to even want to stock them. Service income is substantially reduced unless GM invents some unnecessary service items to throw the dealers a bone. (Like how Nissan says brake fluid needs to be changed yearly on the Leaf as opposed to a more normal service schedule.) I know I’ve mentioned this before, but go troll local dealerships some time, unless you’re in a CARB state, the dealerships don’t seem too interested in BEVs from what I’ve seen.
At some point (sooner than they think) the dealers won’t have a choice. They will need to either sell EVs or go out of business.

Last edited:
DurandalAI was referring to the 8 or 9 states, like California, Vermont, etc, that mandate sales of EV to consumers in those states, not to be confused with the CARB credits taken by the manufacturers of EV's.
Yes, this. Since the manufacturers save on credits, they can push rebates to dealers to incentivize the sales of these vehicles in CARB states. Doesn’t come off sales price, just a bonus to the dealer

In all the articles/interviews today covering the semi event I haven't seen anyone mention that there will be an extra surprise. Apparently this is mostly unknown to the market.
I just hope the surprise isn't the announcement that on some future date there will be an announcement of the actual surprise that will become available for order at some much more future date and eventually fulfilled on a way much much much more future date that will be determined at some future date still to be determined.:confused:

I seem to recall that was how the "something really cool for Roadster owners by the end of the year" announcement played out. I forget what year that was going to be, but my Roadster did eventually get an upgraded battery pack, so all's well that end well.:)

• Funny
Reactions: neroden and ZenMan
I just hope the surprise isn't the announcement that on some future date there will be an announcement of the actual surprise that will become available for order at some much more future date and eventually fulfilled on a way much much much more future date that will be determined at some future date still to be determined.:confused:

I seem to recall that was how the "something really cool for Roadster owners by the end of the year" announcement played out. I forget what year that was going to be, but my Roadster did eventually get an upgraded battery pack, so all's well that end well.:)

So some announcement of future announcement for order of Model Y? :confused::)

Is it 8 yet? tesla time..........
IMG_4042.JPG

Reactions: Ryo
Status
Not open for further replies.