Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 model s cracked glass roof upon delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@unbelievable and @DrivingRockies, Please share with us what you find here that you disagree with. That Tesla will provide a loaner at no cost? Will not provide a loaner? Its a bonus that they are giving him an annual service? Or that he should be greedy?

I think its safe to say this break was an accident. Tesla certainly didn't do it on purpose. More likely it happened during transport. Either way, he's not stuck with paying for it. You folks that are new to owning a Tesla have not had a chance yet to experience to what degree that Tesla bends over backwards to do the right thing nearly all the time. Sure - sure once in a while you will find mistakes and errors from employees. But even Tesla employees are not members of the Justice League or Avengers. The general attitude of the leadership has earned the reputation that they will always try to do what's right by the customer.

If I were the OP, I would take the car, sign for the car. And would have no doubts that Tesla will do what ever is necessary to fix the glass roof. I would graciously accept the offer of the free annual service. And since they do it for almost every other customer, I would be happy to drive a loaner while they make my new car right. They've already earned that chance to do the right thing. They don't need to prove it over and over. They don't need to provide collateral as a promise they would do it right.

I think most people here agree that a cracked glass is no big deal if it happened in transport sometimes, and nobody doubts Tesla can take care of it. Personally I would like to see the crack itself to see whether it looks like it was caused by an impact on glass or did it just crack all on its own, which could indicate a structural stress issue - but that's just me, I'm more paranoid, than most.

The bigger question however is what happened to the OP's car, the one with the original VIN number? Tesla tracks orders and productions through a VIN, so it's unlikely a car was built to the OP's specs on a wrong VIN or the OP put a deposit down on a different VIN inventory car and a different VIN showed up. It's more likely that Tesla is attempting to substitute for some reason, but the reason they gave "a typo in an email" doesn't seem likely unless OP was going all paperwork manually, which Tesla doesn't do - they require everything to go through their online tracking system. The unlikely reason is what makes people think, "what are they not telling me here". When you spend close to $100K on a car, you kinda want some extra assurances. Even if there is nothing, if something ever does go wring with a car, you will always be thinking "aha! maybe they knew this was wrong but didn't tell me to make a sale" - even if that is not the case.

Reactions: BinaryField
If you order a new car, you will take delivery in 2018 and won't get the $7,500 federal tax credit, correct? I think the credit is being removed under the new tax bill in Congress. If so, that change (along with no free supercharging) would argue in favor of keeping your current car.

If you order a new car, you will take delivery in 2018 and won't get the $7,500 federal tax credit, correct? I think the credit is being removed under the new tax bill in Congress. If so, that change (along with no free supercharging) would argue in favor of keeping your current car.
Bill not passed yet but the latest draft was keeping the $7,500 EV credit.

I think most people here agree that a cracked glass is no big deal if it happened in transport sometimes, and nobody doubts Tesla can take care of it. Personally I would like to see the crack itself to see whether it looks like it was caused by an impact on glass or did it just crack all on its own, which could indicate a structural stress issue - but that's just me, I'm more paranoid, than most.

The bigger question however is what happened to the OP's car, the one with the original VIN number? Tesla tracks orders and productions through a VIN, so it's unlikely a car was built to the OP's specs on a wrong VIN or the OP put a deposit down on a different VIN inventory car and a different VIN showed up. It's more likely that Tesla is attempting to substitute for some reason, but the reason they gave "a typo in an email" doesn't seem likely unless OP was going all paperwork manually, which Tesla doesn't do - they require everything to go through their online tracking system. The unlikely reason is what makes people think, "what are they not telling me here". When you spend close to $100K on a car, you kinda want some extra assurances. Even if there is nothing, if something ever does go wring with a car, you will always be thinking "aha! maybe they knew this was wrong but didn't tell me to make a sale" - even if that is not the case.

Mine came in October cracked too. I felt the same way about having a car with a replaced roof. Fortunately the whole car came in wrong missing options and they took it back. I ended up just finding another brand new one which came in without a cracked roof instead with the wrong headlights and paint imperfections. Tesla has a long ways to go before the quality of the build matches the price. You can brag all day how quick the car is and all the cool technology but if the quality of the car isn't there then all of that doesn't matter in my opinion. The technology isn't even that cool if you compare it to high end makers that have options like autosteer too. The only thing they would have going for them would be FSD which nobody knows when it will come out. The latest guesstimate is 2 years. Not sure how a company can sell a car on empty promises.