Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 model X HW3 and MCU2 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another yes for 72 amps after the MCU2 upgrade. Can’t fathom what someone thought the connection was.
Thanks for the double confirmation. When I asked the user about losing the 72A after upgrading to MCU2, his response was "MCU2 only supports 48A charging like the Raven model its intended for. I'm told its all in software"

Thanks for the double confirmation. When I asked the user about losing the 72A after upgrading to MCU2, his response was "MCU2 only supports 48A charging like the Raven model its intended for. I'm told its all in software"
I *also* have a 2016 X that was upgraded from MCU1 to MCU2 and 72A charging continues to work just fine.

Maybe someone has the authoritative word if there were any 72A capable X's that *also* had MCU2. I know the 72A option was not offered very long. But then again neither was MCU1.

If there *was* a single X that had all three 24A chargers *and* MCU2 then it seems impossible they would rewrite the code just to disable one of them.

Hi @Harvey Danger,

My 2018 Model X-100D came in March of 2018 the first week with MCU2 and also has 72A charging.

Maybe you were inquiring about the earlier cars after the upgrade...

Shawn
Nope, that's the exact data point I was looking for.

That pretty much proves to me any firmware intended to run on MCU2 will have to either allow whatever onboard hardware there is to charge at its max rate *or* add some kind of logic to actively take away a feature that a person paid for which is completely insane. I mostly wanted to be sure before I came right out and said whoever thinks MCU2 upgrades result in taking away 72A charging has no idea what they are talking about but I guess anecdotally we've established that already so I'll just shut up now..