Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 MX 100D - MCU1/AP2 but no FSD - should i do FSD first?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI - taking possession of a used 2017 MX 100D later this week. Owner bought EAP but never paid for FSD but has FSD upgrade available in App for $6500 CAD. AP is 2.0 and MCU is 1.0.

My initial thinking was to immediately go in and get MCU 2.0 upgrade (~3500 CAD) as it is a bit sluggish and postpone FSD $6500 for some time until we can do more with it here in Canada. During inspection, the Tesla guy said to get FSD done right away before price goes up and then go in and get MCU 2.0 + AP 3.0 done at once. I'm torn now as that is 10k CAD of upgrades - albeit important upgrades.

Any chance the quote will be less for doing both or is it truly 10k? am i better to do together or does it matter?

• Helpful
Reactions: Sandiegodoug
Personally I would just go with MCU 2 upgrade it does come with the HW3 FSD computer (however U don’t get the full FSD software). I’m happy enough with the Capabilities of AP that not sure paying for FSD when there isn’t much that can be used is worth it ... try the AP first I think you will be happy enough with what it provides ..congrats on new car

Oh interesting- i thought the MCU2 was totally unrelated to the HW3 FSD computer. So installing MCU2 will also upgrade the onboard AP 2.0 computer to AP3.0 version? i then can delay the $6500 FSD update?

I must say this is such an interesting process but atleast thankful that with Tesla you can upgrade vs. conventional car you would be stuck with whatever you drove off lot.

Oh interesting- i thought the MCU2 was totally unrelated to the HW3 FSD computer. So installing MCU2 will also upgrade the onboard AP 2.0 computer to AP3.0 version?

Your first statement was correct. And then your question contradicted your statement.

What you said about FSD being $6500 in the app is not clear. Are you saying its showing $6500 in the current owner's app? That does not mean its also going to be $6500 when the car is moved to your account. You also better check the price on the Canadian version of tesla.com and see what it shows. Its already increased in price here.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Is there a chance the FSD price will continue to climb as it gets closer out of Beta? One of the Tesla experts I was with tonight was advocating to buy it now before it hits 10k+ or they change mind on free HW2 to HW3.

complicated - lol!!
Sure, there is always a chance that FSD will continue to increase in price. There is also always a chance that they will have another sale and it will be cheaper for awhile. Not sure what you are referring to that they might change their mind on free HW2 to HW3.... if you buy FSD, the hardware upgrade is a necessity. If you get the MCU2 upgrade, the HW3 upgrade is part of that because of how they have the parts grouped.

I vote along with others that you just get the MCU2 upgrade now. It has not just made the MCU faster and added new features, but has added great stability to my car’s performance. And EAP has all the important/useful features of FSD. Had I known that the MCU2 option would come along and would include the HW3 hardware, I would not have purchased FSD.

Reactions: P85_DA
You also better check the price on the Canadian version of tesla.com and see what it shows. Its already increased in price here.
I’m not aware of anywhere on Tesla.com that is going to specify the FSD price for a car that already has Enhanced Autopilot. You do have a good point, tho, that the upgrade price it is showing for the original owner may not necessarily be the same price as it moves to a new owner.

I just configured a new Model X and the FSD upgrade is $10,600 - so pretty big difference from $6500. I'm factoring $6500 into sale price - if it were 10,600 post purchase i'd want seller to knock more money off or perform upgrade himself. If he purchases the upgrade, how long before it shows up as part of the car? is it an instant enablement?

Sure, there is always a chance that FSD will continue to increase in price. There is also always a chance that they will have another sale and it will be cheaper for awhile. Not sure what you are referring to that they might change their mind on free HW2 to HW3.... if you buy FSD, the hardware upgrade is a necessity. If you get the MCU2 upgrade, the HW3 upgrade is part of that because of how they have the parts grouped.

I vote along with others that you just get the MCU2 upgrade now. It has not just made the MCU faster and added new features, but has added great stability to my car’s performance. And EAP has all the important/useful features of FSD. Had I known that the MCU2 option would come along and would include the HW3 hardware, I would not have purchased FSD.

I have scheduled my MCU2 upgrade and will be done early next week. The parts ordered says "Infotainment Upgrade From Tegra MCU and Autopilot 2.0 to Intel MCU without Touchscreen And Autopilot 3.0 (Model X) " I have requested to use the existing screen and got $250 discount. Based on this looks like they will not upgrade the Autopilot to 3.0.

I have scheduled my MCU2 upgrade and will be done early next week. The parts ordered says "Infotainment Upgrade From Tegra MCU and Autopilot 2.0 to Intel MCU without Touchscreen And Autopilot 3.0 (Model X) " I have requested to use the existing screen and got $250 discount. Based on this looks like they will not upgrade the Autopilot to 3.0.

Interesting, but I think it is really
Infotainment Upgrade From Tegra MCU and Autopilot 2.0 to Intel MCU without Touchscreen
And
Autopilot 3.0
for (Model X)

Reactions: Akikiki
So major dilemma for me is a) Have current owner buy FSD at guaranteed $6500 this week before i take possession and pay him for it b) take possession and hope the upgrade price carries over

I hate idea of sinking another $6500 upfront but hate idea even more of getting stuck with 10k upgrade and no recourse. Going to call a few sales centers and see what answer i get. Last call to sales advisor he said "upgrades travel with car".

Features in Canada that work are limited as you point out - full summons, self parking and lane change is what Service Center explained to me. For me it is more about future proofing car and getting upgrades done before any policy/pricing goes up. Otherwise truth be told, i'd likely just do MCU2 and let it sit for while if i knew my upgrade price would stay at 6500. everything i'm hearing is prices will climb as they deliver more but who knows?

Features in Canada that work are limited as you point out - full summons, self parking and lane change is what Service Center explained to me.
The lane change is already a part of Enhanced Autopilot. It is really useful to me and is the one thing that would make me consider getting FSD if I were buying a new car, as it is not included in the current, basic autopilot product. I believe EAP also has the self park and maybe smart summons too? EAP, I think, is a great product that isn’t available anymore, and is a great option to find on a used car.