Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.12 has ruined the audio system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ebrand I don't know that your issue is related to whats being discussed in this thread you can confirm by checking the software version your car is currently running and report back with that.

As far as slacker audio quality the first step is to request your slacker credentials by emailing Tesla. Then use that login to change your account settings> general settings (pictured below), and turn on the Maximum Audio Quality switch. Be sure not to change your given password as I've been told it can cause issues.

Also I believe the random news updates are related to the DJ button on the in car display it you de-select that you will no longer get those updates. If that doesn't solve it you can also check within slacker website again under the Account Settings, General Settings option you can turn off Headline News updates (again pictured below)

Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 11.43.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 11.38.03 AM.png

Last edited:
Turning on the Maximum Audio Quality really makes a noticeable difference. But I would then notice a drop off in sound quality. After logging in to the tesla slacker acct, the Maximum Audio Quality is turn back off. This would repeat itself after turning back on at random intervals; sometimes on the same day. I reported this to Slacker who said it was a Tesla issue. I escalated this to Tesla who said it was a Slacker issue as they couldn’t reproduce it to find any reason the car would change the websit setting. Anyone else has this issue or know if a solution?

I've seen the same and I would guess its Tesla running a script to turn it off over a large set of accounts, I also doubt the phone tech support would know about such things. I just check it regularly infact today mine was turned off again.

@ebrand I don't know that your issue is related to whats being discussed in this thread you can confirm by checking the software version your car is currently running and report back with that.

As far as slacker audio quality the first step is to request your slacker credentials by emailing Tesla. Then use that login to change your account settings> general settings (pictured below), and turn on the Maximum Audio Quality switch. Be sure not to change your given password as I've been told it can cause issues.

Also I believe the random news updates are related to the DJ button on the in car display it you de-select that you will no longer get those updates. If that doesn't solve it you can also check within slacker website again under the Account Settings, General Settings option you can turn off Headline News updates (again pictured below)

View attachment 322733

View attachment 322721
My understanding is that this only works for the web browser client. The settings are device-specific, changing it on the web site does not change the vehicle setting. Each device has to have its own setting.

I posted a thread about my premium sound package on my MS but I didn't realize it was in the wrong section....anyways I'm just going to repost my concern here....

I just got my new MS but how do I know the premium sound is included besides the package being stated on the price sheet? I didnt really test drive one without it so I don't know the difference. I have an equalizer with the following modes: off standard and high. I honestly cant tell the difference on the Bass on any of those modes (radio and bluetooth ). I was also supposed to have two subs and I can't even tell if they are turned on. I checked my trunk and I dont see any subs there nor noticeable tweeters inside the car. I know how subs are suppose to sound since I've had a pair of 10s and 12s in the past and i dont hear anything but the base car sound system.

Are the tweeters and subs suppose to be hidden? Also if someone can recommend a good equalizer setup to test the Bass that would be lovely since apparently setting it up to max on all modes (off standard and high) doesn't sound different when I play my music.

Last edited:
First of all, the Model S doesn't have two subwoofers. Why do you think it was supposed to have two?

Here's a picture showing the location of the subwoofer in the trunk. If you have the premium sound package, then the right rear corner area is filled in and looks different than the left rear corner. If you don't have it, then both corners are open to the lower trunk area.

AyGKMqv.jpg

As for equalizer modes, the "Immersive Sound" toggle (off / standard / high) also indicates that you have the premium sound package with a newer MCU (media control unit). Older models with a first-generation MCU have a "Dolby Surround" option instead.

To properly test the sound system, you probably want to put some high-quality digital audio files onto a USB stick and play those. (Try FLAC which is lossless, or 320 kbps if you use MP3 format.) By default, unless you log into a personal Slacker account and set the audio quality to 320 as mentioned upthread, you're going to get a lower-quality stream.