Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.24.1 - where did lane change go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
for my sins I drive the A1/A1M most days.

With AP1 - lane change everywhere

With AP2 (until recently) - lane change on about 30% of the road including all the Motorway sections.

With the latest update 24.1 - nada. Car simply doesnt show the adjacent lane on dual carriageway or motorway sections, no lane change whatsoever (and it nags like a b*tch too - but that's been well discussed elsewhere).

Not really expected to see so many backwards steps.

I am guessing the new mapping/navigation (still Google on the main screen but updated graphics) is classifying roads differently. But come on Tesla need some help here as AP increasingly useless especially in traffic with no lane change.
It's just bing bong- bong bing all the time.

Reactions: Peteski
My understanding is that the Update comes first and then, once that's arrived, the Map data gets updated / refreshed.

Had a google, couldn't find "where" the Map Version info is. I assumed on the "T" Info screen ... however I did turn up that (unless it has changed) the manual says map download is only over WiFi ... so make sure you park for WiFi (if you don;t normally do that)

My car hasn't downloaded anything by itself, without hassling Tesla support, for 6 months, and I've kinda lost interesting having to chase them each time ...

I hassled them about non-delivery of referral prize (its getting to be a lot of ADMIN giving away the SWAG ... !) and something else that I've now forgotten about, over a week ago and had no reply [as yet], which seems to have become the new Norm :(

for my sins I drive the A1/A1M most days.

With AP1 - lane change everywhere

With AP2 (until recently) - lane change on about 30% of the road including all the Motorway sections.

With the latest update 24.1 - nada. Car simply doesnt show the adjacent lane on dual carriageway or motorway sections, no lane change whatsoever (and it nags like a b*tch too - but that's been well discussed elsewhere).

Not really expected to see so many backwards steps.

I am guessing the new mapping/navigation (still Google on the main screen but updated graphics) is classifying roads differently. But come on Tesla need some help here as AP increasingly useless especially in traffic with no lane change.
It's just bing bong- bong bing all the time.

It is very annoying. I've never had auto-lane change enabled on the A43 dual carriageway from the M40 across to M1 (where it would be perfectly safe) yet it works fine on the A5 dual carriageway around Milton Keynes, which is the same kind of road. All the bing-bonging for every lane change is very irritating and seriously degrades the functionality of AP.

Auto lane change should work on all major dual carriageways to make AP effective. Come on Tesla, sort it out!

Interesting, I hadn't read about that. FWIW AP1 lane change works anywhere (although i do not have a recent version, it may turn out they have changed AP1 too). There are times when it is slow to react, and if there is traffic around I override in order that they don't think I'm a Muppet, or worse ... and on rare-ish occasions it takes so long (for ever?) that I override anyway.

Interesting, I hadn't read about that. FWIW AP1 lane change works anywhere (although i do not have a recent version, it may turn out they have changed AP1 too). There are times when it is slow to react, and if there is traffic around I override in order that they don't think I'm a Muppet, or worse ... and on rare-ish occasions it takes so long (for ever?) that I override anyway.

That's the particularly annoying thing about AP2. Where it is enabled, auto-lane change now works really smoothly. If it was actually implemented on all major dual carriageways it would be great. But for whatever reason they seem reluctant to let it loose. I guess they are getting more paranoid about safety issues.

Hmmm ... I wonder if related to AP2 not reading speed signs either? so speed limits limited to whatever is in database (not useful for e.g. M25 variable speed limit / roadworks / etc.), whereas AP2 reads the signs (and maybe has database too)

I had assumed / hoped that was a temporary thing, and would be replaced with "read the road" as clearly a static database is pants compared to reading-the-road both in terms of lag until a new update is added, but also the error-rate (about which I have read plenty from USA correspondents :) ).

Maybe Tesla's forthcoming open-source traffic-data-gathering project will also lead to abilities, like Waze, where if all of a sudden cars start driving across a ploughed field then a new bypass must have just opened :)

Is so then that could also lead to harvesting data from people driving a route in the parallel positions of a 2-lane or 3-lane road, in each direction, that indicate that a map update is appropriate, and lane-change can be activated. Assuming that GPS is accurate enough for that ... and I suppose that comes down to the fact that if lots of cars drive a route then the outliers can be thrown away, leaving robust data behind, but a small sample size would be much less valuable / reliable. Odd that the AP2 is not aware of other lanes [suitable for lane change] ... and the whole "limited rendering of surrounding traffic" on the dash (which AP1 has always had) may be related?

Typing this I am thinking that Musk is focused on FSD - so that means handling side roads well etc. which although AP1 will "mostly do OK" I never activate as I'm never sure what would happen if the car strays even a foot towards the middle with oncoming traffic. YouTubers with dashcams are much braver than I am! But maybe MobileEye was more focused on driver-experience (read signs, handle lane-change) and that's why those aspects are more polished in AP1? There is no doubt that AP2 is much better over crests, and handling tight bends on a motor exit slip, and a whole raft of similar "improvements". But, for me, I take over to manual control for anything other than "dual carriageway" (excepting crawling traffic), and will (I think?) continue to do so until FSD is achieved.

I'm also persuaded that advances, when using AI, can come in leaps and bounds, and catch humans out as a result (like anything that involves exponential growth). Lots of companies are saying "soon" [and applying for licences and so on ...], so perhaps FSD could suddenly arrive overnight and surprise us all. (Price has just gone up ... but the deadline for "profitable" is getting nearer too! ... so that may not be an indicator of delivery)

To the OP: Check your settings. It is not unusual for features such as auto-lane change to mysteriously be toggled to 'OFF' after a software update.
I suffered exactly this about 2 months ago. Super weird but worth a look just in case.

Nooooooooo!

How dumb am I?

Never occurred to me for one moment that it might have been switched off in hte settings which is exactly what it had.

@Siggy101 - PM me address to send the beer to :)

(funny that Tesla tech support couldn't even spot that when I raised it with them)

Nooooooooo!

How dumb am I?

Never occurred to me for one moment that it might have been switched off in hte settings which is exactly what it had.

@Siggy101 - PM me address to send the beer to :)

(funny that Tesla tech support couldn't even spot that when I raised it with them)

Hahaha. No beer required. Just sharing the love man.
These cars are amazing but they have some fun quirks. As I learn them, I enjoy sharing with like-minded peeps.
I'm shocked that your SvC didn't know about this 'feature'... You can go teach them something if you like! :rolleyes:

I'm just glad I could help and you've got your lane change back. Safe driving, my friend.

Reactions: thegruf
Odd that the AP2 is not aware of other lanes [suitable for lane change] ... and the whole "limited rendering of surrounding traffic" on the dash (which AP1 has always had) may be related?

I think AP2 is simply enabled only for specific roads on the map. I don't think it's an awareness issue in this case. It clearly works on certain roads, yet never on other roads with identical lane markings. To me Tesla are clearly using a map database to allow or deny the use of auto-lane change. Maybe it's no coincidence that auto-lane change happens to work on the dual carriageways close to the MK showroom where they demo their cars! I was a bit pissed to find that it doesn't work on other dual carriageways a little further away, even though the lanes are just as clearly marked.

Reactions: WannabeOwner