Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 75D vs. 2014 P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Either buying a new 75D or CPO P85D. Each will cost around 75K before taxes. The 75D has an original cost of around 87K before 12.5K in federal/state tax incentives.

The deciding factor is the residual value in 3 years. All else being equal, I'll probably get the 75D. Don't want to eat a ton of relative depreciation though if there's a big difference.

What do you think each is worth in 3 years? The 12.5K in tax incentives really helps blunt the cost of the 75D but what are your thoughts?

It is hard to tell what the new one will cost in 3 years..I think it would be safe to assume the depreciation from 2017-2018 with x miles could be applied across 3 years, and it’s even possible the P model depreciates faster because it’s a performance vehicle.

With that being said, AP1 is clearly superior in software because of mobile eye, but AP2/2.5 is quickly catching up, and if that’s a big factor for you than I’d consider the fact that it will surpass AP1 pretty soon and have the potential for full self driving eventually.

I’d personally opt for the 75D, and even have one coming in early March. I don’t know if this helps at all- Good luck!

Depreciation is of course always greater on a newer car. In this case however you have the 12.5K of incentives to help offset it. Looking down the road comparing 3 year old 75D vs. 6 years old P85D, they will both be out of bumper to bumper warranty so it will depend on how well the drivetrains hold up (value of extra 3 year warranty) and whether the P85D has Ludicrous retrofit (some people value the extra power). Some people will also value the P85D "+" sport suspension which you can no longer get even on P100D.

While I agree that residual value is likely a crapshoot, I faced a similar dilemma. I bought a new, lightly optioned 75 in April at a time when the CPO inventory was low. Shortly after purchase I made a few discoveries. 1) AP2.0 wasn’t close to the performance of 1.0. 2) new 75’s and 75D’s got a lot faster and mine would not be uncorkable, making it the slowest model s and slower than upcoming model 3. 3) I could have gotten a fully loaded P85D with the superior AP1 for the same amount I paid for my base 75. After months of the worst buyers remorse I ever had, I bit the bullet and ended up trading my car in for a 2015 P85D with + suspension and ludicrous.

Discoveries made after the trade... 1) P85DL+ is an absolute blast. The + suspension makes for much less wallowy handling and the additional power is absolutely awesome. Ludicrous update makes a big difference as well, as I drove one as a loaner without ludicrous and it was noticeably less responsive on the highway
2) AP1 is still better than AP2 for my purposes. ( Long highway commutes, occasional heavy stop and go traffic) this is confirmed by recent loaner car with AP2 and latest firmware. 3) next gen seats are more comfortable and supportive than the new tesla premium seats.

Ultimately, I haven’t had a moment of regret trading in my 75, and the only thing I miss is a little bit of money out of my bank account for the depreciation on a new car trade-in after six months. At the end of the day, new 75D is better in a lot of ways than the 75 I purchased last April, however neither will touch a P85DL+, at least for what I was looking for

In addition to the performance (completely not needed imo), one major benefit of the 85 is the 400V (vs 350V) pack with much faster supercharging.... but for me, new > used, especially with the incentives to offset some depreciation. I have an AP2 75D now. If I had to do it all over again? I’d buy up to a (non-P) 100D... maybe even go for the X so I can tow (though I still hate the rear doors!)

I faced the same decision a month ago and took delivery of my P85D+ this week. Car is amazing.

To me, the main thing was performance was key above all, long warranty (4 years) and I do think it will be worth more than a standard 75D in three years. On top of that AP1 is butter smooth, and I don’t believe fsd is happening soon because... reasons. With that I bought the car I really wanted today with no compromises at all. My face hurts from smiling a few days in a row ;)

I started looking exclusively at used. One can typically get a lot more car for the money. But I think with these cars, there is an element of mohr's law-like stuff going on. So these P85D's were probably $120K or so when new. But now, the plain jane base 75D is pretty close to them in terms of performance. And a new 75D costs about what a used, 30,000 mile P85D does. Yes, I know it is 3.2 v/s 4.2, but you just can't use that kind of power on the street, anyway. So I have shifted, and am now thinking new, should I decide to get one (I'm waffling righ tnow)

I started looking exclusively at used. One can typically get a lot more car for the money. But I think with these cars, there is an element of mohr's law-like stuff going on. So these P85D's were probably $120K or so when new. But now, the plain jane base 75D is pretty close to them in terms of performance. And a new 75D costs about what a used, 30,000 mile P85D does. Yes, I know it is 3.2 v/s 4.2, but you just can't use that kind of power on the street, anyway. So I have shifted, and am now thinking new, should I decide to get one (I'm waffling righ tnow)
I agree on the difference between 3.2 and 4.2. If I go with the P85D it needs to have the L upgrade. Just 1 sec difference is not much and a brand new car has 0 miles. So the L upgrade is really needed at this point for me to go used, unless it were a plain P85D but maybe in the mid $60Ks.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, I prefer new personally but I like to have the long warranty and latest tech BUT a P85DL+ would be a pretty sweet car I think that once AP2 performs equal or greater then AP1 thats when a decision like this would be easier. I would personally still go with a new one get the tax credits, referral credit, free supercharging (happy to provide my code if needed, trying to get to 55 for the roadster long way to go!) I think the bottom line is you are getting into a Tesla anything you choose will be better then any other car!

The deciding factor is the residual value in 3 years.

Residual value is hard to predict, but it’s likely to be similar for each vehicle.

The optimistic scenario is that they only lose 1/3 of their value in 3 years. With the P85D that’s $25K. For the 75D, that’s about $29K ($87.5K x 1/3), but because of the $12.5K in incentives, you’re paying less than $17K. In financial terms, the 75D should be $8K cheaper to you.

The pessimistic scenario that they lose 1/2 their value in 3 years. That’s $37.5K for the P85D, and $43.75K for the 75D. But again, the $12.5K in incentives mean you’re only paying ~$31K of that. So, even under the pessimistic scenario, the 75D is about $6K cheaper to you.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
Besides the usual advantages for new vs old (wear and tear, warranty, etc), there are a lot of little differences in the newer 2018 vs 2014 models.

The 2018 has a nice center console with storage, etc. (That was $1200 to add to my 90D)

The range of a new 75D is probably better than a 4 year old P85D.

The AP2.5 system is getting better and will continue to get improvements for years to come. The AP 1 software is not likely to get any future improvements.

I would go with the new car in this case.

Reactions: croman and nsxpert
In addition to the performance (completely not needed imo), one major benefit of the 85 is the 400V (vs 350V) pack with much faster supercharging.... but for me, new > used, especially with the incentives to offset some depreciation. I have an AP2 75D now. If I had to do it all over again? I’d buy up to a (non-P) 100D... maybe even go for the X so I can tow (though I still hate the rear doors!)

It's not really faster when you factor in how much more efficient the 75D is over the P81D.

• Funny
Reactions: EVSteve
My P85DL-not-sure-it’s-a+ is a dream to drive every single day (and even more so with the recent upgrade to 21” arachnids); had a 75D loaner a few months ago and it wasn’t even apples-to-other-fruits. I’d never ever let go of this unicorn (it’s green to boot). AP1, when I use it, which is rare, is quite good.

Having said all that, depending on how long you’d want to keep the car, go for the P85DL if you intend to keep it for a long time - you’ll enjoy it thoroughly. If you are going to switch cars in 3-4 years, get the 75D.

My P85DL-not-sure-it’s-a+ is a dream to drive every single day (and even more so with the recent upgrade to 21” arachnids); had a 75D loaner a few months ago and it wasn’t even apples-to-other-fruits. I’d never ever let go of this unicorn (it’s green to boot). AP1, when I use it, which is rare, is quite good.

Having said all that, depending on how long you’d want to keep the car, go for the P85DL if you intend to keep it for a long time - you’ll enjoy it thoroughly. If you are going to switch cars in 3-4 years, get the 75D.
100% agreed, the 100D that I test drove did not feel anything like my P85D+, I mean it was nice but nothing close to the staggered configuration with plus suspension. I can see why some one would prefer a newer car, it's just that some one ain't me :)

Thanks for the responses...it's tough to decide but I'm leaning towards the P85DL+ now.

Good move, You won't regret it.

I agree on the difference between 3.2 and 4.2. If I go with the P85D it needs to have the L upgrade. Just 1 sec difference is not much and a brand new car has 0 miles. So the L upgrade is really needed at this point for me to go used, unless it were a plain P85D but maybe in the mid $60Ks.

I think there is way too much focus on 0-60 times. The big advantage of the P85D (or any larger battery car) is the higher power at speed. The small battery cars (at 350 volts) run out of steam very quickly. The uncorking made them faster off the line, but once you are out on the road you will notice a big drop off above 50 or so MPH. For example, Even though the 75D and 90D have similar 0-60 times, the big battery car (at 400 volts) will blow it away at highway passing, as will an 85D, a 100D, P85 etc. Some even feel that the original 85 is faster at highway passing than an uncorked 75D (I've never driven one, so I can't vouch for that) The P85D is in a whole different league on the highway and a ludicrous model takes that even farther. It takes a lot more sustained power to accelerate from 50-90 than from 0-60 and the small battery cars just don't have it. Quickness off the line is a fun gimmick, but gobs of power to pass and merge at highway speeds is a lot more important to me.

Besides the usual advantages for new vs old (wear and tear, warranty, etc), there are a lot of little differences in the newer 2018 vs 2014 models.

The 2018 has a nice center console with storage, etc. (That was $1200 to add to my 90D)

The range of a new 75D is probably better than a 4 year old P85D.

The AP2.5 system is getting better and will continue to get improvements for years to come. The AP 1 software is not likely to get any future improvements.

I would go with the new car in this case.

I would argue that not all the changes between 2014 and 2018 are for the better
The new nose is nice, they have smoothed out some of the interior textured plastic areas and they've improved the headlights, but otherwise, I think many changes were a step back... for example
1) All non-P models now have sliding caliper brakes at the rear. That is a huge downgrade from the 4 piston fixed calipers that were standard up through 2016. All model s's are massively heavy and fast cars and should have the best brakes available, front and rear. Because the car is so quiet and smooth, it is very easy to loose track of speed and have to perform high speed panic stops. Make no mistake, sliding calipers are a huge downgrade for such an important safety feature.
2) The next gen seats were made by recaro and were awesome. They were available in leather and some were ventilated. The new "premium" seats are made in house by tesla and are not nearly as supportive or as well upholstered. In fact, you can't even get leather anymore
3) Tesla no longer offering sport suspension on performance models as noted above. The 2018 P100D has the same suspension as a 2012 60. You can get a P85D with significantly upgraded suspension and staggered wheels if you can find one made before june 2015 or so
4) AP 1 still functions better than AP2.5 and you really should try both if autopilot is important to you. AP1 feels totally natural and functions perfectly within it's limitations. AP2/2.5 has a ton more potential, but just isn't there and still feels like it has a long way to go

Other improvements such as center console and LTE can be added

everything else is pretty much the same. Same interface, displays, same computer's running everything (except autopilot), same sunroof, same stereo, same carpet, same headliner, same air suspension system, etc.

Newer doesn't always mean better

As far as range, My CPO P85D with just under 30K miles on it shows 230mi at 90% and 258mi at 100% charge, both better than my 75 or a new 75D, I will admit that it is slightly less efficient, avg around 310wh/mi compared to 290 ish but some of that is probably driving style. Also, don't overlook the supercharging speed advantage of the big battery car

Last edited:
The uncorking made them faster off the line, but once you are out on the road you will notice a big drop off above 50 or so MPH. For example, Even though the 75D and 90D have similar 0-60 times, the big battery car (at 400 volts) will blow it away at highway passing, as will an 85D, a 100D, P85 etc. Some even feel that the original 85 is faster at highway passing than an uncorked 75D (I've never driven one, so I can't vouch for that)
Ucorking unlocked over 100hp on the 75D at all ranges, not just starting at 0. I drive my wife's to the SC and then back, you can definitely tell the difference on the highway too, not just off the line. Of course it's not the same as P85D (I have one of those too) but uncorking definitely make a difference, and I suspect matches if not exceeds the original 85.