Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Inventory Model 3 Performance - good deal or bad news

Good deal or bad idea?

• Good deal

Votes: 34 91.9%
  • Bad idea

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been questioning my decision to place a deposit on a 2018 Model 3 Performance with ~1k miles. The local Tesla store called on an opportunity for a "great deal" offering the unit with a $10,700 price adjustment. Concerned it is mid May and a 2018 is still available.

Is this a good deal given the car is a 2018 with a vin in the 78,xxx?
Or is this a bad idea on a unit that has been returned or who knows the story?

So it’s $9,200 less than a brand new one. That is a sizable discount and I’d say a great deal if you want the Performance version. Keep in mind that a brand new 2019 LR RWD with AP would cost $46,900 so you are still paying an extra $4,800 for this car. But if you want the super fast performance and don’t mind paying extra it’s probably as large of a discount as you are going to see.

I've been questioning my decision to place a deposit on a 2018 Model 3 Performance with ~1k miles. The local Tesla store called on an opportunity for a "great deal" offering the unit with a $10,700 price adjustment. Concerned it is mid May and a 2018 is still available.

Is this a good deal given the car is a 2018 with a vin in the 78,xxx?
Or is this a bad idea on a unit that has been returned or who knows the story?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 5.31.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 5.31.20 PM.png
    82.6 KB · Views: 107
I have a Performance 3 from that vin range and I haven't had any issues with mine. Do a carfax on it to see if it was registered on an individual plate vs a dealer plate. I believe if you get FSD you are supposed to get the computer replaced for the new AP3 one free later in the year or whenever Tesla decides.

I have a Performance 3 from that vin range and I haven't had any issues with mine. Do a carfax on it to see if it was registered on an individual plate vs a dealer plate. I believe if you get FSD you are supposed to get the computer replaced for the new AP3 one free later in the year or whenever Tesla decides.
The sales rep said the car was manufactured in October - do you know if the ones in this time range had the grey headliner or were there any changes since? It was a bit on an impulse but I was looking at ordering a performance or a long range dual motor so I jumped on it.

Good call on the Carfax - looks like it was registered in Nevada. The Carfax was clean but given that it was registered I will be contacting Tesla to ensure there is no issues with the registration/tax credit.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 6.32.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 6.32.53 PM.png
    113.2 KB · Views: 86
Buy it! And keep the FSD if u can get it for a good price! I LOVE mine and it was built in November. No issues other than some silly, small cosmetics not worth mentioning or fixing because the car flat out drives like a dream!!!
The FSD is $6k now or would be $8k if added after delivery. Seems like a lot for something I'm not sure regulators would approve for a while but maybe I'm missing the true benefit. I would never have the car in a taxi/uber-like service.

You’ll just want to do a thorough inspection before signing paperwork at the delivery center. If they try to get you to sign first just politely say you want 20 minutes with the car. Check, the wheels closely, underneath for transport/impact damage, panel gaps (can be corrected at delivery center with due bill), trim, paint, and so on.

If you due bill damages then who cares. Obviously you don’t want material damages or problems that are more than cosmetic, but sounds like you got a smoking deal that may need some post delivery TLC.

The FSD is $6k now or would be $8k if added after delivery. Seems like a lot for something I'm not sure regulators would approve for a while but maybe I'm missing the true benefit. I would never have the car in a taxi/uber-like service.

If you’re in SoCal or anywhere where you do routine 20-30 minute drives up freeways you’ll want it. It’s very relaxing and convenient.

I bought my Oct 2018 build LR AWD on March 30th. It was returned reportedly because the original buyer had some serious medical issues develop during his first week of ownership. The car had 700 miles. I received a $6,700 discount and the 3,750 tax credit. I received the MSO...the car had never been titled. No flaws except for some minor curb rash which is currently being fixed. I would say GO FOR IT - it’s a great deal unless there are big issues.

I bought mine during the Q1 sales push and I'm so glad I went for it. Price reduction was significant compared to the price in that month, not so much after all the price changes since. Nevertheless, I've enjoyed the car every single day. Mine was manufactured in Dec 2018 and I have not had any major issues with it so far.

You're getting a great price, as long as you can make sure you will still be eligible for the tax rebate since the car seems to have been registered once already. Also check for any paint or body issues before you sign for it.