Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 M3 LR Range and Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, appreciate advice from the group.

I have a 4 year old 2008 Model 3 Long Range with 52K kms. The general coverage warranty will end in less than 2 months.

I haven't driven it much in the last 2 years, and I noticed that the shown battery range has been dropping. Right now, at 90% charge (where I have set to charge to) it is showing 418 km, and at 100% charge it is 464 km. I had thought that due to the little driving that I've done that I just need to reset the BMS, and last weekend I did a drive from Toronto to Montreal, and back, so battery was used to below 10% and charged back up a few times over the weekend. My actual range driving at 125-130 km/h at 8'C was 300 kms. With 100% showing 464 km range, is this something I should be concerned about or have checked?

With my general warranty coming to an end soon, are there any known or common issues or things I should closely inspect or have the dealership check before the warranty lapses? The only work I've had done besides maintenance items are replacing the power conversion system and replacing the rear fascia diffuser.

Thank you,
edyee

You still have four years of warranty on the battery and drive train left. To verify, scroll to the bottom of the main screen on your Tesla app on your smartphone. Click on View Details. Then select the Warranty tab. You’ll see the various terms of coverage there.

Unless you can find some other flaws, there’s nothing to worry about at this time.

Reactions: edyee and Dinevski
I also have a 2018 Model 3 LR. Delivered May 24th 3018.

My 90% and 100% are essentially identical to yours.

If you call Tesla, they will do a remote diagnosis of your battery health.. but i promise you they will come back and say it's "within spec". How do i know? Because I've done it twice.

Keep in mind too that your battery and powertrain warranty is 8 year 192,000km. But from my observation, the estimated range for the past few year at 90% went from 449km when new, to 407km in the very cold.

Right now with temps at 10C it's showing 418km-427km.

Last edited:
Reactions: edyee
Check your front driver and passenger door. If when you open it's making a clicking sound, book service and mention the check straps on the front driver and passenger door side need replacing. This is very common on 2018 Model 3's.

Also press your horn a few times, the high and/or low horn/tones have high incidences of failure on the 2018's. I've had mine replaced and know of a few other 2018 owners who've done the same.

Reactions: McFlurri and edyee
I also have a 2018 Model 3 LR. Delivered May 24th 3018.

My 90% and 100% are essentially identical to yours.

If you call Tesla, they will do a remote diagnosis of your battery health.. but i promise you they will come back and say it's "within spec". How do i know? Because I've done it twice.

Keep in mind too that your battery and powertrain warranty is 8 year 192,000km. But from my observation, the estimated range for the past few year at 90% went from 449km when new, to 407km in the very cold.

Right now with temps at 10C it's showing 418km-427km.

Thank you, really appreciate your insights and everyone else who replied as well.

I got mine 2 weeks after yours, and good to know that you numbers are similar to mine, and that mine is not an anomoly.
I didn't realize the range it is showing is also temperature dependent as well, so makes sense why it is lower than I thought it should be relative to the 500+ km when new.

Hi, appreciate advice from the group.

I have a 4 year old 2008 Model 3 Long Range with 52K kms. The general coverage warranty will end in less than 2 months.

I haven't driven it much in the last 2 years, and I noticed that the shown battery range has been dropping. Right now, at 90% charge (where I have set to charge to) it is showing 418 km, and at 100% charge it is 464 km. I had thought that due to the little driving that I've done that I just need to reset the BMS, and last weekend I did a drive from Toronto to Montreal, and back, so battery was used to below 10% and charged back up a few times over the weekend. My actual range driving at 125-130 km/h at 8'C was 300 kms. With 100% showing 464 km range, is this something I should be concerned about or have checked?

With my general warranty coming to an end soon, are there any known or common issues or things I should closely inspect or have the dealership check before the warranty lapses? The only work I've had done besides maintenance items are replacing the power conversion system and replacing the rear fascia diffuser.

Thank you,
edyee
We have had our M3 LR since June 2018. Our projected range at 100% is about 460km, pretty consistent with other posts. We also have about 52K km on the odometer. I read something recently suggesting about 2% battery degradation per year. I don't recall if that was for Teslas or EV's in general. Ours would seem to be in that ballpark so far.

Check your front driver and passenger door. If when you open it's making a clicking sound, book service and mention the check straps on the front driver and passenger door side need replacing. This is very common on 2018 Model 3's.

Also press your horn a few times, the high and/or low horn/tones have high incidences of failure on the 2018's. I've had mine replaced and know of a few other 2018 owners who've done the same.
Yup, i had both those issues. Got them fixed.

2018 M3 LR AWD here, Sept 2018 delivery
Driven 25k miles
Basically identical battery capacity reduction as you

0.5 years left on warranty / 2.5 years left on loan / 4.5 years let on battery warranty.
If cars weren‘t in such short supply I’d probably be in the process of trading in by now.
Instead I will probably do so in 1-3 years.. certainly before battery warranty is gone.
Have to keep an eye on used prices and make sure they don’t start to drop off a cliff…