Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Used 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD VS 2020 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good evening!

I am currently torn between buying a 2020 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus and a used 2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD.

The specs of the 2018 Tesla: Red, $42k, 31500 miles, and FSD. It was manufactured 02/18 and I would be buying it from Tesla itself.

I was thinking that the extra range would justify getting the older model over the new one. However, I'm scared of getting a used Tesla due to either cosmetic issues or maintenance issues over the next couple of years.

Does anyone have any tips in general or experience regarding buying used from Tesla?

Photos of the used Tesla: 2018 Tesla Model 3 5YJ3E1EA6JF006216

Thank you everyone!

Reactions: Coxwain
I was debating between this also...I had seen some used LR RWD's for around 38-40k but I ended up sticking with my 2020 SR+. My reasoning was because I think the build quality (hopefully) is much improved, and the changes that Tesla makes from year to year (More comfortable seats, included wireless charging pad + usb-c, suspension changes) and having a new warranty pushed me to the SR+. I also considered that for my usage I don't take road trips anyway, and I typically stop every 1.5-2 hours when I drive long distance so charging won't be an issue.

Now the major difference about your purchase is that you'll be getting FSD. At that point I think it's worth going for the LR.

Same thinking here
The 2018 3 LR RWD has more range, but looks like the battery might be slightly less efficient than the 2020 3 SR+ , not sure if that is a big deal as there seems to be so many other advantages such as trim package etc.

other negatives might be, Gen 1 head lights, before July 2018
Gen 1 seats, before July 2018,
some sound dampening wasn't included in the early versions, but it seems most 2018 3 owners are quite happy.

Same thinking here
The 2018 3 LR RWD has more range, but looks like the battery might be slightly less efficient than the 2020 3 SR+ , not sure if that is a big deal as there seems to be so many other advantages such as trim package etc.

other negatives might be, Gen 1 head lights, before July 2018
Gen 1 seats, before July 2018,
some sound dampening wasn't included in the early versions, but it seems most 2018 3 owners are quite happy.

Uh what. The battery is the same. Model 3 has not had any changes to its battery technology, for the different trims, the only difference is capacity.

Personally, if that 2018 was built in second half of the year, that would be a better buy than the SR+. In terms of the hardware, there's been no significant change. And having FSD means you'll have HW3 as well. My lady has a Sept 2018 LR, and there's no issue with build quality, and I really don't think that's a big issue compared to what you'll miss in SR+.

I mean, it's not like all the models have all else being the same other than range. Honestly, those are marginal differences at best, not to mention that in terms of actual hardware, it's nothing noticeable for actual end users on a day to day basis. I stand behind what I said in regards to hardware-wise, you're really not looking at anything different. You'll get better bang for the buck with the LR, and since it has FSD already, you're totally done "upgrading" the car.

I finally pulled the trigger.

I was really torn between the 2018 LR RWD vs LR AWD.
I liked the LR RWD because of the extra range.

WHile everyone says don't worry about the range I would like to offer the following opinion from my short 10 days of ownership that started out with a road trip 200km away from home.

I think these EVs need to get ranges around 600-800km for a usable charge. That being said, which what we have, here are my thought.

1. if your round trip is 100-200km a day, then any range will do. YOu will most likely charge every night to keep a healthy range.
2. While it is easy to charge on road trips, I think we typically will feel like round trip range or 4-6 hours of driving is what we will like to see from a vehicle. EV's are not there yet, so does it matter if SR+ or LR? I simply don't think you can have enough range because of all the inefficiencies such as road, tire wear , speed, traffic, weather, etc. So, more range the better.
3. if this is a local vehicle, then sr+ will be great and while more inconvenient to find charging stations, it isn't impossible to do.

all that being said, I simply love my m3 awd lr. Now that I have a home charger I don't feel like I need to watch how I drive and I think that is the point people are making. Once you get comfortable with the range and charging station locations and network, then you start to feel more comfortable. Just like we survey gas stations for prices as we drive by, likewise you need to figure out where the closest charging stations are and how to make it part of your routine.

Today I put sport mode on and took off comfort acceleration knowing I only had a 15km round tip errand to go on. What a joy to drive. I love it. I have broken the 9 year legacy of volvo crossover suv's because of the large family.

I am a perfect candidate as my wife has an Expedition long box so we have plenty to capacity for longer ranger and storage should we need it for the cottage.

the suggestion to get the most range you can afford, I agree. If I didn't have 4 teenagers with two learning to drive I would have gone with the LR RWD model and picked up the extra range with a lighter vehicle and gone with a set of winter tires which I may not have avoided on this vehicle.

All the best!

I just had to make the decision and went with a 2018 LR RWD Model 3. Took delivery on Saturday. The vin in the 44xxx range which as best I can tell was built in 3rd qtr of 2018 so it had the new seats. I bought it directly from Tesla for $39,100, 23k miles, and it has FSD. When full charges at 100% it has a 308 range. Silver (which a prefer because it is rarer) w 18 inch wheels. I have been happy w the choice. Nice not to have to upgrade anything as it has the rear heated seats, home link and the FSD. Also, don't have to pay the $1200 doc fee. It was located in MD and I live in DC so no transport fee. It has very little wear and tear but if it has been abused was willing to lose the $500 deposit. Also, it had a star crack in the windshield and at first they refused to fix it but told them I would not accept it cracked an amazingly they fixed it.

I just had to make the decision and went with a 2018 LR RWD Model 3. Took delivery on Saturday. The vin in the 44xxx range which as best I can tell was built in 3rd qtr of 2018 so it had the new seats. I bought it directly from Tesla for $39,100, 23k miles, and it has FSD. When full charges at 100% it has a 308 range. Silver (which a prefer because it is rarer) w 18 inch wheels. I have been happy w the choice. Nice not to have to upgrade anything as it has the rear heated seats, home link and the FSD. Also, don't have to pay the $1200 doc fee. It was located in MD and I live in DC so no transport fee. It has very little wear and tear but if it has been abused was willing to lose the $500 deposit. Also, it had a star crack in the windshield and at first they refused to fix it but told them I would not accept it cracked an amazingly they fixed it.

Nice job. For whatever reason, they did not upgrade the FSD computer from 2.5 to 3.0 so I just created a ticket and they are coming out to do that.

The paint on my vehicle looks very good on some areas and some areas not so much, so I wonder if there was a PPF or they repainted part of the car?? any way to tell?

Just working on getting a truck rubber mat and a wireless charger. Not sure if I should go aftermarket or Tesla?

For sure my next car will be a tesla