Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model 3 LR: What is a good asking price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Blue 2018 Model 3 LR with AP (no FSD). 32k miles. 315 miles range. In good shape.

What is a good asking price, if I were to do a private sale? Car Max? Tesla trade in?

thank you
Tesla currently has 2018 M3 LR models starting in the upper $30s with FSD.

One with 31k miles, FSD, clean history, etc. has an asking price of $42k: 2018 Model 3 | Tesla

I'd suggest pricing yours around $39,900 to start. Yes, FSD is now $10k but not everyone cares about FSD.

I would also suggest getting an offer from CarMax, Carvana and Tesla so you can at least get a sense of a bottom value number. If the high offer comes in at around $35k then a fair private party selling price may be between $35k and $40k. Also, don't forget to factor in any sales tax benefits you may get (depending on state) if you are looking to trade and not just sell the car.

Reactions: E Dizzle
Tesla currently has 2018 M3 LR models starting in the upper $30s with FSD.

One with 31k miles, FSD, clean history, etc. has an asking price of $42k: 2018 Model 3 | Tesla

I'd suggest pricing yours around $39,900 to start. Yes, FSD is now $10k but not everyone cares about FSD.

I would also suggest getting an offer from CarMax, Carvana and Tesla so you can at least get a sense of a bottom value number. If the high offer comes in at around $35k then a fair private party selling price may be between $35k and $40k. Also, don't forget to factor in any sales tax benefits you may get (depending on state) if you are looking to trade and not just sell the car.

Keep in mind there are less expensive, under $40k 2018 Model 3 LR with FSD on Tesla.com also. With FSD being a $10k option now why would a potential buyer not buy directly from Tesla with FSD included as opposed to buying private party for anything more than $35k?

Private Party $35k with AP
Tesla $39k with FSD
Seems like a no brainer from a buyers perspective to purchase directly from Tesla without all the private party hassels.

Reactions: Physicslawyer
Keep in mind there are less expensive, under $40k 2018 Model 3 LR with FSD on Tesla.com also.
Yes, that's why I said "starting in the upper $30s with FSD." Tesla currently has a 2018 M3 LR with FSD for $38,900 but it has 68k miles which is more than twice the miles of the OP’s car.

With FSD being a $10k option now why would a potential buyer not buy directly from Tesla with FSD included as opposed to buying private party for anything more than $35k?
Yes but, as I also said in my original post, "not everyone cares about FSD." Especially not at the full $10k.

Seems like a no brainer from a buyers perspective to purchase directly from Tesla without all the private party hassels.
There can be plenty of hassles with buying from Tesla too. Also, if a Tesla car is a good distance away, it may cost $1k, $2k or more to transport to a local Tesla store and if the potential buyer doesn't like it for whatever reason they are still on the hook for the transport cost.

The example I gave was closest in miles to the OP car. It's priced at $42k but located in central Florida. The OP is located in Texas and therefore a local buyer to him would have to pay $1k or so to ship which would make the price $43k. Given that his doesn't have FSD, my suggestion was to price at $39,900 to START. He can always drop the price as needed.

I don't think those used cars on Tesla.com (at least the one you linked) have FSD... it just says "Full Self-Driving Capability" as far as I can tell. I take that to mean it has the hardware to be FSD, but the FSD package is not included. If I look at used cars in my area, they all say they have "Full Self-Driving Capability".

Reactions: Watts_Up
I don't think those used cars on Tesla.com (at least the one you linked) have FSD... it just says "Full Self-Driving Capability" as far as I can tell. I take that to mean it has the hardware to be FSD, but the FSD package is not included. If I look at used cars in my area, they all say they have "Full Self-Driving Capability".
Certainly that is what we have been hearing for many months. Tesla strips the EAP/AP/FSD and expects the new customer to buy them. But maybe it doesn’t always happen.

If you compare to NEW inventory units the least expensive Standard Range Plus with "Full Self Driving Capability" is $47,600. So the used inventory that says "Full Self Driving Capability" definitely includes FSD hardware and software.

Most of the transport fees are $500, there are many in inventory to pick from that are relatively close.

Someone was suggesting to ask upper 30s with NO FSD, seems to me realistically a LR with autopilot (no FSD) should be no more than $35k AND the seller better be aggressive price wise otherwise we are turning the corner on another model year in less than 60 days and we all know the major changes that are being implemented for MY 2021. Model years do count, a 2020 is worth more than a 2019, 2019 has greater value than 2018 and a 2018 has a greater value than a 2017.

When looking into buying a model 3 it was a better deal for me to look at performance cars with FSD because they took a larger depreciation hit from new. It seems like you lose less on the cheaper model 3s or at least people list them that way. The wildcard is what the refresh/ FSD increase is doing to the market overall.

Reactions: E Dizzle
"Full Self Driving Capability" is FSD. That is what costs $10k today.

M3FSD.jpg

"Full Self Driving Capability" is FSD. That is what costs $10k today.

View attachment 606137

I purchased a used 3 from Tesla last month.

I can confirm that “Full Self Driving Capability” is the term they use for the functional and full version of FSD. They don’t just mean the car can have the capability if you purchase at a later date.

Cars that don’t have FSD capability will have some version of AP included in their listing or they just won’t say “Full Self Driving Capability.”

Most 3s sold recently by Tesla seem to come with FSD like mine did. They activated it for the sale from EAP/HW2.5.

I insisted they retrofit HW3 prior to delivery since I live 2.5 hours from the service center. They grudgingly agreed.

No extra cost was paid to have FSD added or activated.

Hope this helps.

All right !!.. Tesla's offer is $31,400. Carmax is $33,000. A $1600 difference.

I am wondering if the sales tax benefit from purchasing a new Model Y (priced at $51K), will be more than $1600?Can anyone that has done this before can tell me?

All right !!.. Tesla's offer is $31,400. Carmax is $33,000. A $1600 difference.

I am wondering if the sales tax benefit from purchasing a new Model Y (priced at $51K), will be more than $1600?Can anyone that has done this before can tell me?
If sales tax is 6.25% then the tax advantage by trading a $31,400 car would be $1,962.50, assuming Texas is like many states regarding sales tax/trade calculations.

Your CarMax appraisal sheet probably listed the potential tax savings below the offer number e.g., “If you purchase a CarMax vehicle while selling us your vehicle, you could be eligible for a tax savings of $X.”

Thank you. So it appears a tradein to Tesla is a better option. I was told Texas takes the tradein value into consideration. But anyone who has actually done that with Tesla can confirm that would be great. I don't want a nasty surprise later, because Tesla is not an official dealer here in Texas.