Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model 3 Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to Tesla have been researching about them for a week or 2 now.
Interested in buying a used 2018 Model 3 LR AWD Performance which is available for sale nearby through a dealer but have some questions before I decide to buy.
Its from a dealer not an owner so could not get the questions clarified with them.

1) The car software settings page says "autopilot safety features" and has the HW2.5 in it -- Would I be able to pay and upgrade to HW3 with FSD? If yes how much would that be, would it be 10K as quoted on the site while buying a new vehicle or would it be 10k plus the cost of the new HW3 computer?

2) Car software settings page says premium connectivity included package -- Does it mean it has lifetime premium connectivity without having to do a subscription?

3) Is EAP still available to buy on HW2.5?

Welcome to TMC

1. If its a 2018, it didnt come with any "autopilot" features standard. It may only have the safety features, not the features of "autopilot", "enhanced autopilot" or "full self Driving". If you pay for "full self driving" that will also include the upgrade to the "hardware 3.0 computer". Cost to upgrade is likely 10k. It wont be more than that, but could be less if the car has enhanced autopilot. Sounds unlikely to me though, that the car has enhanced autopilot.

2. Premium connectivity likely wont transfer, since you are not purchasing it from another person who has it active. Expect to have to subscribe to premium connectivity for 9.99 a month if you want that feature. That also means the vehicle is one that was delivered prior to end of third quarter 2018, as "lifetime premium connectivity" ended at then. My own model 3 performance was delivered the beginning of december 2018, and doesnt have it, for example.

3. No. (not in the US anyway, I dont know where you are located).

Reactions: android04
Thanks for your reply, good to know 10k will get me FSD with computer upgrade.
I will probably be looking at that down the road since the car does not even have standard autopilot according to the screenshot of software settings page. Good to know about premium connectivity as well.
The car was registered on 12/28/2020 from autocheck and carfax and has about 12470 miles on it.
It was listed at carmax for 41998 and I am currently having it transported to my nearby carmax location for test driving and buying.

I will probably be looking at that down the road since the car does not even have standard autopilot according to the screenshot of software settings page. Good to know about premium connectivity as well.
The car was registered on 12/28/2020 from autocheck and carfax and has about 12470 miles on it.
It was listed at carmax for 41998 and I am currently having it transported to my nearby carmax location for test driving and buying.

Did you mean registered on 12/28/2018? In 2018, tesla model years coincided with regular years, so a car built and delivered at the end of december in 2018 would be a 2018 model 3, instead of a 2019 like other manufacturers did at the time. They pivoted in 2019 to regular model years like other car manufacturers in the US, so 2020 model year tesla were available in the fall of 2019.

If you actually ment 12/28/2020, but the car is a 2018, and only owned by one person, I would want to know more about that if it were me.

Reactions: android04
I bought a 12/2018 build Model 3 LR AWD (not Performance) in March 2019. It has been great. I purchased it new with FSD. When the 3.0 computer was available, they did a mobile appt and came to me to swap out the 2.5 computer. It was very easy.

If you want FSD, buy a car with FSD. There are tons of them out there and the price difference is only around 2k. FSD is pretty much the only reason to buy used. Otherwise, new is a way better value.

I have a 2018 LR-AWD with no built in autopilot as well. Skip this and if you want to invest in FSD do it in a car that has it as a previous poster said.

Not having autopilot only the enhanced safety features means you have to buy autopilot first as it was not standard in 2018. $3000. Then you can spend the $10k for FSD.

The price of new model 3 performance with FSD is coming out to be 56990 +1k for color options+1.2k for destination and doc which is ~59K
The one I am checking out is a 2018 performance with 12470 miles on it and selling for $41998 plus taxes, registration and doc.
Looks like range wise and performance metrics wise both 2018 and 2021 are hardly apart?
If its going to be 13k to get to FSD I think I will go with the 3k option for basic autopilot, interesting to know this as I did not think any other kind of autopilot other than FSD was available for purchase. Can you clarify how to get the basic 3K autopilot and what it has?

The price of new model 3 performance with FSD is coming out to be 56990 +1k for color options+1.2k for destination and doc which is ~59K
The one I am checking out is a 2018 performance with 12470 miles on it and selling for $41998 plus taxes, registration and doc.
Looks like range wise and performance metrics wise both 2018 and 2021 are hardly apart?
If its going to be 13k to get to FSD I think I will go with the 3k option for basic autopilot, interesting to know this as I did not think any other kind of autopilot other than FSD was available for purchase. Can you clarify how to get the basic 3K autopilot and what it has?

I think the new one WITh FSD is more than what you are laying out. You forgot the 10k Price for FSD (the price of a new one with fsd is 56990 + 1k for color if not white + 10k for FSD + 1.2k destination.

As for what is included in "autopilot" vs "FSD" here is teslas official list of features

I think the new one WITh FSD is more than what you are laying out. You forgot the 10k Price for FSD (the price of a new one with fsd is 56990 + 1k for color if not white + 10k for FSD + 1.2k destination.

As for what is included in "autopilot" vs "FSD" here is teslas official list of features

Yes my bad it will be 59k without FSD or 69k with FSD brand new.
In my case it will be 42k without FSD or 55k/52k with FSD.
If the car is in good shape I think its worth the cost benefit for me.
Only thing I am not clear is how to purchase 3k basic autopilot. If that is possible, I will be fine with that.

Only thing I am not clear is how to purchase 3k basic autopilot. If that is possible, I will be fine with that.

Any add ons will be in the app after you buy the car. I did not know that there was a 3k cost for autopilot before you could buy FSD. I purchased EAP with my car back then (there was no "AP" available to purchase back then).

Whatever you can purchase as an upgrade will be listed in the tesla app after you get access to it. "AP" wont give you a computer upgrade, but you can see what it includes in the link I included before.

Is the $3k basic autopilot option even available? I thought it was FSD for $10k or nothing at this point.

Down the road, FSD will cost $14k or more.

Updating this thread:

I bought the car , I can confirm the basic autopilot is 3k and FSD will need basic autopilot so it is 10 + 3 = 13k
I am glad I can purchase basic autopilot if I want and not just FSD as an option.
At this point I don't need either, will wait to see if EAP is ever offered for somewhere in between 3k and 13K and decide.
Currently just enjoying the 2018 LR AWD Performance, the car is just so much fun.

IMG_1964.jpg

Reactions: Bigriver
This is pretty true.
If you want FSD, buy a car with FSD. There are tons of them out there and the price difference is only around 2k. FSD is pretty much the only reason to buy used. Otherwise, new is a way better value.
Just remember the adage, "the Elon giveth and the Elon taketh away"... I recall many instances where folks bought used with FSD and Tesla removed FSD from their car. Hopefully that won't be your case.