TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2018 Model X

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by FamilyT3sla, Jun 12, 2018.

1. FamilyT3sla

FamilyT3sla Member

Since it has gotten hot in the Midwest, our Model X sounds like a jet when the AC is active. We can hear it at least 100 ft away from the car when it is running. Anyone else have this issue? I posted a video of it.

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

..sounds like mine in the SoCal desert ..no issues all my S’s were the same

3. FamilyT3sla

FamilyT3sla Member

Nothing says electric car like the sound of an F150 coming from the frunk.

• Funny x 1
  4. r0xx0r

r0xx0r Member

To me, Tesla car has a "super-computer" somewhere behind the frunk so .... they should have some 15k rpm fans :p

• Funny x 1
  5. MarkDFW

MarkDFW Member

Your video sounds just like mine which is a 2016. It always sounds like a jet engine - but it cools the car great here in TX. I think this is normal.

6. skip8jj

skip8jj Member

The noise stands out because otherwise the car is so quiet. They can be especially noisy when supercharging on a hot day.

7. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

One other remote possibility. I have a 13,xxx VIN, Aug 2016 MX. A fair number of slightly earlier deliveries had cars with the AC lines crossed at the compressor. This led to unbearably loud battery cooling noise at Superchargers.
    But, I say this is low probability in your case because I don't think I've read on the forum an instance of this since late 2016.

8. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

We have a June 2016 X90D and the AC is LOUD. It might be the your recording but ours is much louder. I am almost embarrassed when we are parking, especially when supercharging. I can hear it from about a football field away....
    About ready to make an appointment for an annual service. I will bring it up again (and compare it with a loaner if I can)

9. FamilyT3sla

FamilyT3sla Member

They are going to check it when I drop it off tomorrow for them to look at the door sensors. Total embarrassment when it is running on high.

10. animorph

animorph Active Member

Heck, my 2001 Porsche 911 was like a leaf blower when pulling into the garage, and kept it up for a while after turning the car off. It really kept that side of the garage clean.

The electric fan on my Porsche 924 stopped working once. Nice and quiet when I stopped, but if a traffic light was red for longer than a minute or so the car started to overheat. Probably not good for the A/C (and battery) if that fan is not being noisy. It's needed to push (pull?) air through the radiator/condenser, especially when the car is not moving.

11. FamilyT3sla

FamilyT3sla Member

We can even hear it at highway speeds. I am sure they will say it is within spec etc.

12. Jayrod

Jayrod Member

I picked mine up today and it was pretty hot mid 90's and it wasn't bad at all.

13. FamilyT3sla

FamilyT3sla Member

As expected it is operating within normal parameters .

14. timf

timf Member

Mine is similarly loud but was even louder when I first got it. My air went out at one point and afterwards the compressor seemed quieter, but now there is something in the dash that vibrates when the fan is going full speed and the car isn't moving. The loaner I had when it went in for service didn't have any of those issues, so I'm convinced they aren't all like that but for now I live with it.

15. jtdiddy

jtdiddy Member

are u sure it's the AC that's causing the jet engine noise?

16. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

Our 2018 MX has pretty noisy fans, but you do notice them a lot more than in ICE cars for obvious reasons. I'd say the noise seems about average in the interior when driving compared to other cars we've had. Sometimes on start up when it's hot it really rips for a minute or so, but soon settles down to a more normal level.

17. FamilyT3sla

FamilyT3sla Member

If I turn the AC off the car is whisper quiet.

• Like x 1
  18. jtdiddy

jtdiddy Member

i tested my AC noise in the garage last night and yes, i agree it is loud and does sound like a small jet engine. not sure it is as loud as ur situation as i haven't noticed it before until testing it last night in my closed garage.

it will be interesting what service says about it, pls keep up us updated

19. travwill

travwill Active Member

Hehehe, wait until you supercharge in this heat ;-) Will be even louder. Or you'll likely get the message that cooling inside the car is reduced due to AC being needed fully for supercharging if your in the car - be aware of that and ready to not stay in the car during those times.

ps. a jet engine is way louder.

20. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

Correct. Supercharging on a hot sunny day, you will be able to hear the car absolutely screaming from hundreds of feet away. But it is *supposed* to do that. Your description sounds perfectly normal to me.