Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 MX 100D......vinegar smell when starting ac

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see there are a lot of threads on how to fix this issue with the model 3 but I'm not having any luck with the model X. I just changed the cabin filter and I run the AC with circulation OFF but I still have this bad smell when I first turn on the ac.

Anyone have this issue and a remedy for it? I suppose I can call the SC but I wanted to check here first.

Thanks!

Model 3 is pretty easy to get to the condenser to spray it with cleaning solution sold on amazon. For my x decided to let the service center do it, it’s a $150 ish cost I was told, my research into getting to the condenser seemed like too much work to make it worth my effect compared to the 3.

Model 3 is pretty easy to get to the condenser to spray it with cleaning solution sold on amazon. For my x decided to let the service center do it, it’s a $150 ish cost I was told, my research into getting to the condenser seemed like too much work to make it worth my effect compared to the 3.

After the SC performed the procedure, Did that take care of the issue for you?

Yeah I have done this as well.....so were you thinking of just spraying lysol where the HEPA filter connection is on the back?

I did something similar to my P85 Model S when I still had it, the smell wasn't too pleasant but it wasn't a vinegar smell. I removed the air filter, cleaned all of the dust out off the plastic housing and set the fan to blow at full speed. Then I sprayed it with lysol for about 15-20 seconds within the housing and let the cabin air running at full blast for about 5 min. I put the air filter back on and it solved the problem.

I actually remember that trick from a NPR Car Talk episode.

Reactions: croman
I did something similar to my P85 Model S when I still had it, the smell wasn't too pleasant but it wasn't a vinegar smell. I removed the air filter, cleaned all of the dust out off the plastic housing and set the fan to blow at full speed. Then I sprayed it with lysol for about 15-20 seconds within the housing and let the cabin air running at full blast for about 5 min. I put the air filter back on and it solved the problem.

I actually remember that trick from a NPR Car Talk episode.

I'm gonna have to try this... You're saying you sprayed it in the ducting right behind the HEPA filter?

I had this too just over the last week, so while my X was in HW3 and MCU2 upgrade I had them replace the cabin filter. I talked to the SC about doing it myself and his comments was “it’s a little more involved than most air filters and we’re going to have the glove box out anyway.”

Smell gone...and oh by the way the HW3 chip drives better and the MCU2 runs like a dream!!!

• Informative
Reactions: Billstickers
Yeah, I was afraid to spray it directly on the air filter so I removed it and sprayed in the duct behind the air filter. Let me know how it goes if you do it. I think I might try this either this weekend or July 4th weekend.

So I finally tried it and so far it worked great. Here is what I did:

1. Removed the frunk liner and HEPA Filter
2. Removed the cabin filter and kept its housing closed. I just changed the filter so I didn't want it to be saturated with the cleaning agent.
3. Ran the fan on high with re-circulation off. Opened all the vents including the ones in the back.
4. Rolled down all the windows and kept the trunk open as well.
5. I used this and sprayed about half the bottle in there. Lysol disinfecting spray is impossible to find but they had this at my local autozone.
6. I let the fan run for about 20 minutes until the smell was almost gone and put everything back.

So far when I get in the car I don't smell anything. Hopefully it lasts!!

Hope this helps.

Any update? What I did didn't work for very long...the smell is back.

So did the DIY filter replacement with OEM Tesla (surprisingly high quality) and cleaned condenser with Klima cleaner from Amazon. So far no smell, but need to wait longer. I made sure to spray the whole can and cover as much of the condenser as possible. Air definitely smells cleaner.

Now time to schedule for my x. Don’t have the patience to tear apart the dash to get to the filter.

So did the DIY filter replacement with OEM Tesla (surprisingly high quality) and cleaned condenser with Klima cleaner from Amazon. So far no smell, but need to wait longer. I made sure to spray the whole can and cover as much of the condenser as possible. Air definitely smells cleaner.

Now time to schedule for my x. Don’t have the patience to tear apart the dash to get to the filter.
Let me know how the X goes