Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 MX 100D......vinegar smell when starting ac

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can someone tell me where condenser coil in 2018 model x is? ive got the filter out. klima cleaner on hand. ive had service treat for the awful smell and replace the filter. came back in less than 2 months. they initially quoted me 156 then when they showed up at my house they said it was in system wrong and at least double that. it is ridiculous to pay 300 every month to partially treat an odor so offensive the car is unusable

So did the DIY filter replacement with OEM Tesla (surprisingly high quality) and cleaned condenser with Klima cleaner from Amazon. So far no smell, but need to wait longer. I made sure to spray the whole can and cover as much of the condenser as possible. Air definitely smells cleaner.

Now time to schedule for my x. Don’t have the patience to tear apart the dash to get to the filter.

same issue with x. do you know where condenser/evap coil is in x?

can someone tell me where condenser coil in 2018 model x is? ive got the filter out. klima cleaner on hand. ive had service treat for the awful smell and replace the filter. came back in less than 2 months. they initially quoted me 156 then when they showed up at my house they said it was in system wrong and at least double that. it is ridiculous to pay 300 every month to partially treat an odor so offensive the car is unusable

I'm going to try this next

Getting rid of bad air conditioner smell. Model x. : teslamotors

Well I tried this today and so far so good! A lot easier than I thought. Instead of putting the tubing that comes with the Kool it can between the blades as suggested... Just before the evaporator there is a temperature sensor in the piping that can be easily removed to push the solution in. Worked like a charm!

Hopefully this lasts.... The smell is driving me crazy.

• Informative
Reactions: Billstickers
Well I tried this today and so far so good! A lot easier than I thought. Instead of putting the tubing that comes with the Kool it can between the blades as suggested... Just before the evaporator there is a temperature sensor in the piping that can be easily removed to push the solution in. Worked like a charm!

Hopefully this lasts.... The smell is driving me crazy.

I tried it with Klima cleaner on Sunday. Full can. Put tube between blades of fan and push all the way in.

got in car yest and it’s baaack

do you have a picture of the temp sensor you removed?

thanks[/Q

s-l1600.jpg

Got this off ebay....it's just before the evaporator housing

Update: Used the Kool-it and it seems to have helped, but there is a much easier way to get to the evaporator in a Model X. It literally has an opening in the floor well on the passenger side and it’s all you need. Pic attached of the Kool It draining out a bit. Absolutely no need at all to take anything apart. I am kind of wondering how the hell im the first person to notice this?! Pic attached. Feed the tube up and to the left and you’re golden. It’s the same distance as going through the temp sensor route.

Attachments

• 0830B87A-40E7-4AC1-8A44-E5A2702177F5.jpeg
    0830B87A-40E7-4AC1-8A44-E5A2702177F5.jpeg
    766.8 KB · Views: 185
  • Informative
Reactions: Billstickers
@tnots, I think you are on to something. The holes above the passenger floor well maps to the attached (exploded evaporator view). I think we just need to follow the air way up and spray Kool-it in the chamber towards the right?

I think this is a better approach since it's after the fan blades as posted in the reddit post -- Getting rid of bad air conditioner smell. Model x. : teslamotors

I was about to tear apart my dash today, will try this route first and I ordered 2 cans of Kool-It.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 11.24.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 11.24.29 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 168
  • Informative
Reactions: tnots
@tnots, I think you are on to something. The holes above the passenger floor well maps to the attached (exploded evaporator view). I think we just need to follow the air way up and spray Kool-it in the chamber towards the right?

I think this is a better approach since it's after the fan blades as posted in the reddit post -- Getting rid of bad air conditioner smell. Model x. : teslamotors

I was about to tear apart my dash today, will try this route first and I ordered 2 cans of Kool-It.

Let me know if this works.... The smell has come back for me. I might try this but it's basically what I did... Even sprayed closer. The problem is you can see what you're spraying... You may just be spraying just the corner of the evaporator for all you know.

You're diagram/picture is exactly correct and so far the best representation I've seen on how to get to the right spot. You get much closer to the evaporator itself going this route. The smell has not returned and the only 'smell' is from the kool-it that I sprayed.

@tnots @gazepdapi hey guys, I have good news and bad news.

Bad news: The outlet from the foot well does not lead to the evaporator. It leads to an empty chamber after the heating coils
Good news: I have closure on how to reach the evaporator coils and confirmed the location.

Before trying this experiment out, I inserted my borescope through the foot well air outlet. We see the air sensor on the way. I have also inserted the Kool-it applicator along side to confirm where we drop the mixture. The evaporator coil is no where to be seen. After cross referencing the path and shape of what I see, I have a good estimate on where it is in reference to the evaporator coil

IMG-20200905-093748.jpg

20200905095144565.jpg

20200905155952688.jpg

20200905095503212.jpg

20200905160641858.jpg

20200905160624715.jpg

IMG-20200906-161824-copy.jpg

Looking at it via an exploded view.
Screen-Shot-2020-09-07-at-2-54-55-PM-copy.png

Location of the evaporator coil

This is towards the back of the fan, in the chamber where the drain tube is. In short we need to go through the back of the fan down the ramp towards the left.

Location of the evaporator coil (cont')

Below are my diagrams showing how to reach the evaporator coil. I also cross checked what we are seeing towards the front.
This is the squarish box with the orange wires, this is the heater coil and is next to the chamber where I was stuck initially.

We need to insert the tube to the back of the fan down towards to left. You will see the drain tube in yellow as marked.

I have taken my dash apart and took more pictures. Will attach them in a bit.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-07-at-2-58-03-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2020-09-07-at-2-54-49-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2020-09-07-at-2-56-30-PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: VikH
Here are the pictures and instructions after you have taking out the panels, glove box and the AC filter.

You will see the fan underneath the filter chamber. Insert the tube at the further most end of the fan well.

IMG-20200906-163412.jpg

IMG-20200906-152342.jpg

It's easier to insert the Kool-it black tip applicator through the top of the fan blades.

IMG-20200906-163459.jpg

IMG-20200906-155431.jpg

Insert it all the way in, we want the tip to go down towards the left as much as we can.

IMG-20200906-155211.jpg

Apply Kool-it, if you did it right you should start to see the mixture excess dripping. When I applied it through the foot well air-outlet, there was no mixture seen under the car.

IMG-20200906-155457.jpg

Here are the pictures and instructions after you have taking out the panels, glove box and the AC filter.

You will see the fan underneath the filter chamber. Insert the tube at the further most end of the fan well.

IMG-20200906-163412.jpg

IMG-20200906-152342.jpg

It's easier to insert the Kool-it black tip applicator through the top of the fan blades.

IMG-20200906-163459.jpg

IMG-20200906-155431.jpg

Insert it all the way in, we want the tip to go down towards the left as much as we can.

IMG-20200906-155211.jpg

Apply Kool-it, if you did it right you should start to see the mixture excess dripping. When I applied it through the foot well air-outlet, there was no mixture seen under the car.

IMG-20200906-155457.jpg

Well I wasn't even close... Good thing I bought two of those cans lol. This is great instruction thank you!!