Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Red AWD 3, FSD, Priced off NEW Tesla Pricing Minus 20% 1YR Depreciation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SteveG3

Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2012
US
As you can verify on Tesla's website, my configuration, detailed below, is currently selling new for $58k (including the $1.2k destination/doc fee... I've rounded down to $58k).

Red
Dual Motor
White Interior
18" Wheels
FSD

I picked the car up 9/1 of last year, but, I have put on 14.5k miles, so will take off a full year's depreciation. I think 20% is fair- remember, I'm taking 20% off the $58k the car currently sells for, rather than the $64k I paid.

The 20% depreciation brings the cost to $46.4k.

I made the depreciation error of spending $4k on full body Xpel for the car last October. I'll take a 70+% hit on the Xpel, and ask only $1.1k for that. $1.1k to make upkeep easier and longevity of your paint vastly better is a bargain.

This brings my firm asking price to $47.5k.

I'm in the Raleigh/Durham area of NC.

The car is in great shape. Will add more photos later, but below are some initial ones from what I already took and sent to Tesla.

To be upfront, Tesla did replace the rear drive unit last month. I never noticed an issue before or after replacement... just got a go to service ASAP message one day on the touchscreen, brought it in, and a week later, Tesla's fix was to replace the rear motor. fwiw, I'm selling because I've pulled the trigger on a "P" a couple of days ago.

fwiw, while I realize someone buying new can use the $1.9k tax credit today, there is no option to be money smart and buy a 1 year old car at a 20% depreciation savings AND get the tax credit.

Attachments

• IMG_3080.JPG
    IMG_3080.JPG
    680.3 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_3081.JPG
    IMG_3081.JPG
    656.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_3085.JPG
    IMG_3085.JPG
    682.5 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_3086.JPG
    IMG_3086.JPG
    701.1 KB · Views: 157
Sigh... this is the exact combo I want but I really don't need FSD so in my case there's no value from that here. Had this been without FSD I'm fairly sure I would have jumped on it.

Red/White looks awesome.

Good luck!

Reactions: SteveG3
As you can verify on Tesla's website, my configuration, detailed below, is currently selling new for $58k (including the $1.2k destination/doc fee... I've rounded down to $58k).

Red
Dual Motor
White Interior
18" Wheels
FSD

I picked the car up 9/1 of last year, but, I have put on 14.5k miles, so will take off a full year's depreciation. I think 20% is fair- remember, I'm taking 20% off the $58k the car currently sells for, rather than the $64k I paid.

The 20% depreciation brings the cost to $46.4k.

I made the depreciation error of spending $4k on full body Xpel for the car last October. I'll take a 70+% hit on the Xpel, and ask only $1.1k for that. $1.1k to make upkeep easier and longevity of your paint vastly better is a bargain.

This brings my firm asking price to $47.5k.

I'm in the Raleigh/Durham area of NC.

The car is in great shape. Will add more photos later, but below are some initial ones from what I already took and sent to Tesla.

To be upfront, Tesla did replace the rear drive unit last month. I never noticed an issue before or after replacement... just got a go to service ASAP message one day on the touchscreen, brought it in, and a week later, Tesla's fix was to replace the rear motor. fwiw, I'm selling because I've pulled the trigger on a "P" a couple of days ago.

fwiw, while I realize someone buying new can use the $1.9k tax credit today, there is no option to be money smart and buy a 1 year old car at a 20% depreciation savings AND get the tax credit.

Wow, someone actually selling a car on this site with a reasonable thought process. If this were not red, I would be buying it from you.

Great car. It's great you factor in the 20 percent depreciation for the year but what about the 10K in rebate? doesn't that effectively mean your cost for the car was 54K? 20 percent of that price would depreciate to 43.2K plus the 1.1K for the wrap = 44.3K

Effectively you bought a car, drove it for almost 15k miles and asking for a 3.2k profit.

If you use the current 2019 sale price and your calculation with just the 7.5K federal rebate which you claimed, your depreciated value should then be 40K without factoring state rebates.

I'm not here to bash your sale, Im making an offer but just wanted to explain my reason.

I'll offer 40K. if you ever consider my offer PM me. Serious buyer and I don't need to wait for financing.

Last edited:
If you use the current 2019 sale price and your calculation with just the 7.5K federal rebate which you claimed,

I'm new here, but isn't the logic here flawed? First, you can't buy the car today with the $7500 rebate. And the price now is lower than it was in 2018, so isn't the seller accurately taking the depreciation off his original - and accurate - price?

Great car. It's great you factor in the 20 percent depreciation for the year but what about the 10K in rebate? doesn't that effectively mean your cost for the car was 54K? 20 percent of that price would depreciate to 43.2K plus the 1.1K for the wrap = 44.3K

Effectively you bought a car, drove it for almost 15k miles and asking for a 3.2k profit.

If you use the current 2019 sale price and your calculation with just the 7.5K federal rebate which you claimed, your depreciated value should then be 40K without factoring state rebates.

I'm not here to bash your sale, Im making an offer but just wanted to explain my reason.

I'll offer 40K. if you ever consider my offer PM me. Serious buyer and I don't need to wait for financing.
His pricing is very fair and a refreshing change for this forum. Plus even if he did qualify for the 7.5k tax incentive, you have zero idea if he was even able to use it or not. There are plenty of people that didnt have enough liability to use the full amount.

Either way, guessing what he paid doesnt matter or using past pricing doesnt matter. All that matters is current pricing and current depreciation. Also he is taking a large reduction on the wrap which very few sellers do. His listing is one of the only reasonably priced cars on this forum. He is providing about a $13k price reduction off a brand new M3 LR AWD w/ PPF. (Plus there is another $750 in sales tax savings.)

If you are as serious of a buyer as you claim to be, you should raise your offer, because if you don't someone else will pay this fair price.

His pricing is very fair and a refreshing change for this forum. Plus even if he did qualify for the 7.5k tax incentive, you have zero idea if he was even able to use it or not. There are plenty of people that didnt have enough liability to use the full amount.

Either way, guessing what he paid doesnt matter or using past pricing doesnt matter. All that matters is current pricing and current depreciation. Also he is taking a large reduction on the wrap which very few sellers do. His listing is one of the only reasonably priced cars on this forum. He is providing about a $13k price reduction off a brand new M3 LR AWD w/ PPF. (Plus there is another $750 in sales tax savings.)

If you are as serious of a buyer as you claim to be, you should raise your offer, because if you don't someone else will pay this fair price.

+1

If you want to make an offer, that's what the PM button is for - explain to the seller why you want to pay what you want to pay, not to the forum.

Please get out of here with that crap. What is wrong with people?

How's the guy paying $64k plus for the car and then selling it for $46k asking for "driving it and then making a profit"?

The car costs $62,000 plus destination minus rebate right now to purchase with the Xpel counted. Good luck getting it for $40k after 10 something thousand miles.

Saying "but you paid bla bla originally so it should be cheaper" is just as ridiculous as trying to sell a P90DL for $100,000 because you paid $140,000 for it.

• Helpful
Reactions: traxila and SteveG3
Sigh... this is the exact combo I want but I really don't need FSD so in my case there's no value from that here. Had this been without FSD I'm fairly sure I would have jumped on it.

Red/White looks awesome.

Good luck!
Don’t mean to high jack here, but I’ve got a 2018 model 3 long range awd white/white not FSD, but does have AP, maybe you’d be interested to check it out? It’s in the classifieds here
Thanks

Don’t mean to high jack here, but I’ve got a 2018 model 3 long range awd white/white not FSD, but does have AP, maybe you’d be interested to check it out? It’s in the classifieds here
Thanks

Thanks but I'm 100% set on Red.

This thread is making me nervous... I've almost talked myself into considering FSD too. There are some cool, let's say, party tricks in there.

Getting a new one with FSD is going to push my budget too much. On the other hand I don't know how I would feel paying what's a significant amount of $ for what's essentially a used car. Ok, there's an upside too, I'm sure that if anything major would have gone wrong, it would've happened already (as the OP said with the replaced drive unit). Technically this car should be solid. Yes, I'm having a conversation with myself :)

I wish this was closer to me (I'm 1,100 miles away).

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors