Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.20.1 - California Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you permanently turn off Emergency Lane Departure yet? Like others, my girlfriend and I are both holding at 2019.12.1.2 and ignoring all updates until this is resolved to avoid these ongoing reports of dangerous false positives from this feature:
Emergency Lane Departure - False Positives
I feel like some of this is hysteria. The most common reports of false ELDA activations are with those colored narrow bike lanes in certain European countries.

We have driven about 2500 Californian and Nevada miles with .16.2 and seen one ELDA activation and that’s when I was manually driving and accidentally veered extremely close to a guardrail.

I feel like some of this is hysteria. The most common reports of false ELDA activations are with those colored narrow bike lanes in certain European countries.

We have driven about 2500 Californian and Nevada miles with .16.2 and seen one ELDA activation and that’s when I was manually driving and accidentally veered extremely close to a guardrail.

I agree about the hysteria but one ELDA event in in 2500 miles seems uncommon. I get lots of gentle “silent bumps” (both LDA/ELDA) and occasionally get a jar/alarm that was legit but usually unnecessary. Usually on secondary roads.

I agree about the hysteria but one ELDA event in in 2500 miles seems uncommon. I get lots of gentle “silent bumps” (both LDA/ELDA) and occasionally get a jar/alarm that was legit but usually unnecessary. Usually on secondary roads.
Oh I was categorizing ELDA events as the collision alarm beeping + intervention type, the ones you can’t turn off. I got plenty of gentle nudges as the car thought it would show off its centering abilities compared to me, but those if you hate it you can turn it off permanently by preference.

The hysteria I was referencing was over the ELDA type that cannot be turned off. I’ve not personally seen that one activate incorrectly at least on Californian road markings.

The hysteria I was referencing was over the ELDA type that cannot be turned off. I’ve not personally seen that one activate incorrectly at least on Californian road markings.

So it must be hysteria since you personally have only experienced one incorrect activation? I can assure you, it's not hysteria to those of us who have to deal with constant false positives from this "feature" that we cannot opt out of permanently. Maybe your opinion would be different if you got multiple false warnings on your daily commute necessitating disabling ELDA every single time you start driving or risk being pushed too close to an opposite travel lane with oncoming traffic.

I said it in another thread already: this is just like the damn phone key thing again where people who aren't having a problem are discounting the experiences of those who are.

I feel like some of this is hysteria. The himost common reports of false ELDA activations are with those colored narrow bike lanes in certain European countries.

try taking an exit that splits into multiple lanes, which is common. I've had ELDA freak out multiple times - beeps at you, and attempts to correct you if you go into a lane that it doesnt like. I live in california

Also, if you move over for lane splitting motorcycles in California and accidentally go too much over the lane, it will likely push you back into the lane quickly which could potentially hit or startle the motorcyclist and cause an accident.

Both Emergency Lane features are too buggy to be considered safety features. The buggiest one cant even be disabled permenantly.

Reactions: streetskooler
So it must be hysteria since you personally have only experienced one incorrect activation? I can assure you, it's not hysteria to those of us who have to deal with constant false positives from this "feature" that we cannot opt out of permanently. Maybe your opinion would be different if you got multiple false warnings on your daily commute necessitating disabling ELDA every single time you start driving or risk being pushed too close to an opposite travel lane with oncoming traffic.

I said it in another thread already: this is just like the damn phone key thing again where people who aren't having a problem are discounting the experiences of those who are.

I think there’s a misunderstanding here. I’m definitely not discounting your experiences and I believe (and have read) all the stories around false ELDA activations. But I think these cases are in the minority. I totally understand how annoying that is, but extremely annoying experiences from a minority of customers does not warrant everyone avoiding the update.

This is sort of like avoiding vaccines based off the experience of a small percentage who experience totally legitimate and devastating side effects, or refusing to eat peanuts because of seeing that there’s people who die when they got exposed to them.

2019.16.2 was a good update overall minus the ELDA reports. It more or less eliminated the shattered polygon flickering UI artifacts, the spontaneous MCU reboots in the middle of driving, and fixed some autosteer glitches with refusing to adjust proper following distance when a car cuts in.

I was just trying to add some perspective here. Being afraid to apply updates is not without its own safety and functionality trade offs too.