Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long press on the camera icon on the screen until the color changes to gray. Then you can remove it.

This turns off the recording, but it does not unmount (aka "safely remove," "eject," or similar terms) the drive. At a minimum, its "dirty bit" will be set, and if any writes had not been committed completely to disk by the time you pull the drive, there will still be filesystem damage. Thus, I strongly recommend that you perform a filesystem check on the disk, using a desktop or laptop computer, whenever you unplug a USB drive. It's probably better to do this before mounting the disk, if you can control this detail (most desktop OSes will mount the disk automatically as soon as you plug it in); but even doing it after mounting the disk is better than nothing. A single uncontrolled unplug isn't likely to do serious damage, but it can accumulate over time and ultimately create such a mess that you'd need to create a new filesystem.

Some people have suggested that Tesla began doing filesystem checks on USB drives itself, presumably when they're plugged in or at some other time, beginning with some unknown software update a few months ago. I can neither confirm nor deny this; but if it's true, this would mitigate the risk of filesystem damage, depending on when the check is done.

Note that a USB drive used for music will not, AFAIK, be written to, so aside from the "dirty bit" being set, there should be no damage to it; the preceding comments apply to the TeslaCam partition (or a USB drive dedicated to that purpose).

Reactions: Zoomit
This turns off the recording, but it does not unmount (aka "safely remove," "eject," or similar terms) the drive.

Well, that’s the official procedure described in the manual: “To access the video footage from dashcam, pause the dashcam, then remove the flash drive and use a personal computer to access the video files located in the “TeslaCam” folder.”

Reactions: towndrunk
This turns off the recording, but it does not unmount (aka "safely remove," "eject," or similar terms) the drive.
Well, that’s the official procedure described in the manual: “To access the video footage from dashcam, pause the dashcam, then remove the flash drive and use a personal computer to access the video files located in the “TeslaCam” folder.”

I'm not denying that; I'm simply pointing out what that action actually does (and does not) do. Note that the description you quoted from the manual conspicuously states that the action pauses the dashcam; it says nothing about the action ejecting the drive, presumably because it doesn't do so. People complain about data corruption on TeslaCam drives from time to time, and the fact that the car doesn't actually provide a way to eject the drive (at least, none that I know of) is one possible cause of such corruption. Knowing how to cope with it can help minimize the risk, so it's worth understanding this issue.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I was on vacation when I remotely installed 2019.20.2.1. I have a December 2016 AP2 Model S.

When I checked the release notes yesterday, I noticed that I received the update to Dog Mode but I did not get the Display Brightness update. No big deal...