Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.24.4 suddenly won't sleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

R1Fast

P3D Blue/White
Sep 11, 2018
Seattle
Anyone else having this problem?

I've been on 2019.24.4 for a week or so, and just noticed today (though it could have been happening since the update) that my car won't sleep at home, even after 3+ hours plugged in on my garage wall charger.

- Cabin overheat is off
- Sentry is off
- Doors/trunk/frunk are definitely shut
- 'Keep air on' and Dog mode both off
- No 3rd party apps

I did 3 hard reboots in a row and toggled all of the above settings on then off again for good measure.

I really just noticed it tonight but like I said it could have been happening from the first day of being on 24.4 for all I know. It always slept with no problem. The only other thing that's changed is I reset my password 3 days ago.

Stumped

go sit in the car bounce on the seat a few times put your foot on the brake pedal then get out and close the door watch the main screen see if it goes out if it does its gone to sleep.
next test put it in reverse and move back no seatbelt on lift your butt of the seat it should apply the parking brake and put it in park if not the seat pressure sensor is faulty..

How do you know that your car is not sleeping?

I think that you mean that the 12 V auxillary plug does not shut down?

I had this problem in the past so I keep plug in a wireless phone charger because this charger shows a red light when plug in. This light turn blue when a phone is charging. And green when completed.

So I noticed that when the sentry get turned on, the security get also turned on. But when the sentry get turned off then the security still stay on.

So I took the habit to turn off both the sentry and the security when parking at home.

It semms that allow to have the car going to sleep

But few updates ago the sentry can be turned off automatically when at home. And since I don't have this problem any more

How do you know that your car is not sleeping?

I think that you mean that the 12 V auxillary plug does not shut down?

I had this problem in the past so I keep plug in a wireless phone charger because this charger shows a red light when plug in. This light turn blue when a phone is charging. And green when completed.

So I noticed that when the sentry get turned on, the security get also turned on. But when the sentry get turned off then the security still stay on.

So I took the habit to turn off both the sentry and the security when parking at home.

It seems that allow to have the car going to sleep

But few updates ago the sentry can be turned off automatically when at home. And since I don't have this problem any more

I have similar issue with car not sleeping recently. I get notifications when car is fully charged. Since 2019.24.4, I can see several notifications overnight saying car is fully charged, that means car was draining battery due to not sleeping.

I've had a problem with my car not sleeping properly and posted something a few weeks ago because my car kept hijacking my cell phone's Bluetooth when I use my cell phone at home. The car would seemingly randomly wake up and just take over the audio of my phone in the middle of calls or while listening to music.

Still does it with this update, even with my car now locked in the garage and formerly asleep. Don't know what is waking it up. I'm nowhere near the car when this happens - at least 50 ft. away, often at least 75 ft. away.

I don't think it's just this software update, but that's my own experience with the car not sleeping.

Thanks for your input, guys.

@Watts_Up Yeah the 12v is still active (RPM led modules in the rear usb ports give that away) but the app gives away that it's not sleeping. It usually takes 1-2m while the car is 'waking up' in the App, and it wasn't doing that, e.g. control was available almost immediately even after several hours. Plus I could hear subtle noises coming from the front and rear which it doesn't usually do (or as much) once it's asleep.

I sort of forgot about the 'security' toggle and that it works independent Sentry. I toggled the security off and damn you're right the car went to sleep. I guess I can just toggle that off when at home but it definitely wasn't needed prior to this update.

@Tam agree keeping the 12v active would be a nice feature if that's the intent, but that too should be toggle-able so you can put your car to sleep if you so choose.

Anyway at least it's sleeping now. Thanks everyone for your input!

@Tam agree keeping the 12v active would be a nice feature if that's the intent, but that too should be toggle-able so you can put your car to sleep if you so choose.

I don’t see why they couldn’t make the 12V accessory outlet stay powered while the car is asleep if they wanted to do it that way... I don’t think they have to keep the car awake. 12V power is provided by the 12V battery when the car is asleep.

If the 12V got too low it could wake the car up to charge it.

Reactions: Tam
I don’t see why they couldn’t make the 12V accessory outlet stay powered while the car is asleep if they wanted to do it that way... I don’t think they have to keep the car awake. 12V power is provided by the 12V battery when the car is asleep.

I don't think 12V batteries are designed to be drained low and charged over and over like that.

I don't think 12V batteries are designed to be drained low and charged over and over like that.

12V in ICE doesn't get any charge until the engine wakes up and turns the alternator for the charging.

Not with Tesla. Your 12V is connected to DC to DC converter which is directly connected to 400V main battery pack at all times. Your 12V can be recharged at any time that the system thinks it's time.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
12V in ICE doesn't get any charge until the engine wakes up and turns the alternator for the charging.

Not with Tesla. Your 12V is connected to DC to DC converter which is directly connected to 400V main battery pack at all times. Your 12V can be recharged at any time that the system thinks it's time.

Yes, the 12V can be recharged - I just don't know how good it is for it to be in a low state of charge on a regular basis before the system charges it.

I didn't say it needed to be drained low, just drained to whatever amount it decided required the HV battery to come on and stop it from going "too low". You could probably use some low powered accessories on the 12V outlet for overnight without needing to charge the 12V.

I mean, people in ICE cars can leave their non-LED headlights on overnight and the battery can survive (if it's not too old).

Yes, the 12V can be recharged - I just don't know how good it is for it to be in a low state of charge on a regular basis before the system charges it.

Nobody is suggesting it get to a low state of charge ... the car can decide when to to charge it. It doesn't have to leave the HV battery connected 100% of the time just to run 12V accessories. It can happily let the 12V power some accessories for however long it determines, then tell the HV to come on to charge it ... at whatever safe level Tesla decides. Who said let it get to a "low state of charge" ?

Nobody is suggesting it get to a low state of charge ... the car can decide when to to charge it. It doesn't have to leave the HV battery connected 100% of the time just to run 12V accessories. It can happily let the 12V power some accessories for however long it determines, then tell the HV to come on to charge it ... at whatever safe level Tesla decides. Who said let it get to a "low state of charge" ?

You did. You said it could wake the car up at a low state of charge. :D

You did. You said it could wake the car up at a low state of charge. :D

No, I didn't say that ... do you mean this:

"too low" to decide it needs to charge it to keep it healthy is not the same as "low state of charge" dangerous for the health of the battery.

Given the choice of leaving the HV on to power the 12V (overkill), letting the 12V power everything til it dies (overkill), or a compromise in between where just the 12V powers until it decides too low of a threshold has been reached, and THEN powering up the HV to charge the 12V battery and power the 12V accessories seems to make sense to me.