Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Presume you mean to ask about 2.4GHz and 5GHz.Tesla built after beginning of 2018 support both. Your car likely favor the stronger signal which is usually the longer wavelength at 2.4GHz
Thats what I thought....thank you.....Its funny some devices favor 2.4Ghz while others like 5.0Ghz........yes I was thing about my stupid internet issues and mis-spoke using Mbps instead of Ghz....thanks for correcting me......one of those senior moments

Do you really think Tesla in their current capacity can conceivably test every possible driving scenario before releasing an update?
Not quite sure what you’re getting at. Obviously you have to set a limit on testing and determine if an update is good enough. No update is bug free. Ever. But there is definitely *some* testing that goes on before it’s released into the wild. Otherwise their liability would be too high.

And once that update has been validated for one user of a particular model, it should be made available to ALL users of that model. There really is not valid argument for it to be any other way.

The bottom line is this: Tesla has NOT been following an industry best practice. Period. Users noticed this and Musk promised to change it.

Stop making excuses for their lack of progress on it. Admittedly, this is not a huge problem. But it’s something that Musk said would change based on user input, so it needs to change.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdubois and MP3Mike
Not quite sure what you’re getting at. Obviously you have to set a limit on testing and determine if an update is good enough. No update is bug free. Ever. But there is definitely *some* testing that goes on before it’s released into the wild. Otherwise their liability would be too high.

And once that update has been validated for one user of a particular model, it should be made available to ALL users of that model. There really is not valid argument for it to be any other way.

The bottom line is this: Tesla has NOT been following an industry best practice. Period. Users noticed this and Musk promised to change it.

Stop making excuses for their lack of progress on it. Admittedly, this is not a huge problem. But it’s something that Musk said would change based on user input, so it needs to change.

Musk says a lot of things... the first “change” he should make is his communication effectiveness (look in the mirror, so to say)...

One user for a particular model??? All that tells you is that person had no issues (yet) for what they actually tried during the test period. It doesn't tell you *anything* about the tens of thousands of other users of that same model who have different settings, different hardware attached to their car (e.g. USB sticks), etc.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I love that everyone assumes that Elon is the only person in charge at Tesla and that nothing that Tesla does happens without his eyes on it. Yes Tesla will do what ever he tells them to do, but he has a couple other major companies under his charge so he isn't making all of the decisions.

Also, software validation starts with internal testing, this is followed up by limited release to employees and special individuals. From there it goes to the public beta individuals. If an issue is found along the way it gets kicked back to the developers, but if it doesn't then the development managers meet and decide on the deployment strategy for that build. Some builds have benefits that are weighted higher to a certain geographic local or car model type. Then the build is released to the masses using that plan. Most deployment plans involve a soft deployment followed by a mass deployment.

I love that everyone assumes that Elon is the only person in charge at Tesla and that nothing that Tesla does happens without his eyes on it. Yes Tesla will do what ever he tells them to do, but he has a couple other major companies under his charge so he isn't making all of the decisions.

Also, software validation starts with internal testing, this is followed up by limited release to employees and special individuals. From there it goes to the public beta individuals. If an issue is found along the way it gets kicked back to the developers, but if it doesn't then the development managers meet and decide on the deployment strategy for that build. Some builds have benefits that are weighted higher to a certain geographic local or car model type. Then the build is released to the masses using that plan. Most deployment plans involve a soft deployment followed by a mass deployment.

He’s the one out there spouting BS, though. That’s on him and only him.

Reactions: jebinc
He’s the one out there spouting BS, though. That’s on him and only him.

He talks, and jokes a bit, but I've yet to hear any BS. I'm assuming that by BS you mean intentionally misleading or false statements.
I'd rather know the guy who started the company is a human being, with a sense of humor and passion personally. I imagine that Steve Jobs would have been a lot like him if he were around today. Anyways, no matter how good your intentions, someones always going to think your an asshole. Nothing you can do about it. Me, personally, I think he's doing a damn good job and that history will remember him much like we do Einstein. But opinions are like ass holes, everyone's got one.

Forgive me because I’m still learning, but if I have 2019.28.3 and you have 2019.28.3.1, are those different softwares or is the mobile app not detailed enough in the name? Are you reading from the car?

Both the app and the car should show the same thing, and neither will truncate the version number. What confused me in the beginning were these version numbers, which I would actually consider build numbers and this other version that people throw around like version 6, 8, 9, etc.

We're currently on Version 9.0 of the firmware, and we get build updates represented by this 2019.28.3.1 numbers. The 28 represents the week of the year that the build was made.

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc