Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.28 Phantom Drain - 2 mi per hour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update to 2019.28 on Wed 8/21and after charging it to 283 mi on Friday and then driving it for 178 mi during the next 26 hrs. Should have 105 mi (283 - 178 = 105) but only shows 65. Thought this was strange... Yeah there's AC and 65-75mph driving along with city driving.. but still not a 50 mi difference. Didn't use sentry. Used overheat protection for 2 hrs in 82F weather parked outside with tinted windows and sunshade. I shut it off after that. This is about a 2 mi / hr phantom drain.

Today charged, parked drove around and made sure all sentry, overheat, dog mode are off. I only wake the car for screen shots. I don't use Teslafi or any other software. I even reboot the car yesterday.
  • 2 mi loss in 43 mins - woke 1x
  • 4 mi loss in 2h:51 min - woke 2x
Any ideas? That's almost 2 mi per hour drain

This is worrying me as I have a 2000 mi roadtrip in 2 weeks. It's all planned around the Tesla. I'm not taking our ice hybrid. Heck no way!

725201923372.jpg
7252019223818.jpg

Update to 2019.28 on Wed 8/21and after charging it to 283 mi on Friday and then driving it for 178 mi during the next 26 hrs. Should have 105 mi (283 - 178 = 105) but only shows 65. Thought this was strange... Yeah there's AC and 65-75mph driving along with city driving.. but still not a 50 mi difference. Didn't use sentry. Used overheat protection for 2 hrs in 82F weather parked outside with tinted windows and sunshade. I shut it off after that. This is about a 2 mi / hr phantom drain.

Today charged, parked drove around and made sure all sentry, overheat, dog mode are off. I only wake the car for screen shots. I don't use Teslafi or any other software. I even reboot the car yesterday.
  • 2 mi loss in 43 mins - woke 1x
  • 4 mi loss in 2h:51 min - woke 2x
Any ideas? That's almost 2 mi per hour drain

This is worrying me as I have a 2000 mi roadtrip in 2 weeks. It's all planned around the Tesla. I'm not taking our ice hybrid. Heck no way!

View attachment 446522 View attachment 446523
You're talking about two situations right? You drive it and instead of showing 105, it shows 65. That's all based upon your driving conditions. Are your tires pumped up? Are they wearing evenly? Efficiency is low, but it's impossible to really say much, because you're including your phantom drain as well over a 26hr period. You need to break out driving efficiency from drain.

If you want to better understand which is which, you can consider using the Stats app, or TeslaFi or some other Tesla API tracking tool. Haven't seen complaints of those contributing to phantom drain in months.

The phantom drain could just be caused by the battery pack cooling off. Your ambient seems over 90F, so it's hot there.

• Informative
Reactions: duanra
You're talking about two situations right? You drive it and instead of showing 105, it shows 65. That's all based upon your driving conditions. Are your tires pumped up? Are they wearing evenly? Efficiency is low, but it's impossible to really say much, because you're including your phantom drain as well over a 26hr period. You need to break out driving efficiency from drain.

If you want to better understand which is which, you can consider using the Stats app, or TeslaFi or some other Tesla API tracking tool. Haven't seen complaints of those contributing to phantom drain in months.

The phantom drain could just be caused by the battery pack cooling off. Your ambient seems over 90F, so it's hot there.

The missing range led me to start looking at missing range when parked. I tried a reboot with brake pedal plus 2 thumbwheel this morning. Didn't help.

This morning I parked it for less than 3 hrs and lost 7 miles.

It is hot but this behavior is new. Two months ago, I had this car for a few days in the 105 FVegas sun and many days in 100 F plus SoCal weather where I live. This is new.

I will call Tesla later see if they can reset or something. I also have a mobile appt with them in 2 days.

726201912265.jpg

Update to 2019.28 on Wed 8/21and after charging it to 283 mi on Friday and then driving it for 178 mi during the next 26 hrs. Should have 105 mi (283 - 178 = 105) but only shows 65. Thought this was strange... Yeah there's AC and 65-75mph driving along with city driving.. but still not a 50 mi difference.

Aside from any phantom/vampire drain issues, you realize the math doesn’t work like this right? You can’t subtract ‘apples’ from ‘oranges’ to get a number that makes sense:
283 “battery gauge miles” minus 178 “real road miles” = 105 what?!

To “measure” phantom drain you need to take note of the battery range miles when you park it, and when you wake it up — over a long stretch of time, like days preferably, and without waking the car up using the app to check on it.

For driving,
178 miles down hill could add miles to your range.
178 miles at high speed could take 228 battery miles no problem. That’s less than 300 Wh/mi driving and people can easily get in that range going fast with AC on, especially with an elevation change.

To subtract apples from apples we need to convert to energy (Wh):
Look at the trip meter and see how many Wh/mi your trip took. Multiply that by the trip distance to get approximate Wh used on the trip. Divide that by a constant for your car to get approximately how many battery miles were used (~245, 234, 219 Wh/mi for AWD, LR, SR) minus about 4.5%.

Say you have the AWD, and trip meter said 290 Wh/mi x 178 mi = 51,620 Wh used.

Divide that by 245 - 4.5% ~= 234 ... 51,620 Wh / 234 Wh/mi = 221 miles.

Your 178 mile trip at 290 Wh/mi will subtract ~221 miles off the battery gauge.

That’s 43 “extra” miles. If you “lost” 50 more than 178, then it’s only 7 lost to vampire drain.

Adjust accordingly for your trip consumption or your specific trim.

• Informative
Reactions: go2realize
No I'm not. In mm mm mm,,
Aside from any phantom/vampire drain issues, you realize the math doesn’t work like this right? You can’t subtract ‘apples’ from ‘oranges’ to get a number that makes sense:
283 “battery gauge miles” minus 178 “real road miles” = 105 what?!

To “measure” phantom drain you need to take note of the battery range miles when you park it, and when you wake it up — over a long stretch of time, like days preferably, and without waking the car up using the app to check on it.

For driving,
178 miles down hill could add miles to your range.
178 miles at high speed could take 228 battery miles no problem. That’s less than 300 Wh/mi driving and people can easily get in that range going fast with AC on, especially with an elevation change.

To subtract apples from apples we need to convert to energy (Wh):
Look at the trip meter and see how many Wh/mi your trip took. Multiply that by the trip distance to get approximate Wh used on the trip. Divide that by a constant for your car to get approximately how many battery miles were used (~245, 234, 219 Wh/mi for AWD, LR, SR) minus about 4.5%.

Say you have the AWD, and trip meter said 290 Wh/mi x 178 mi = 51,620 Wh used.

Divide that by 245 - 4.5% ~= 234 ... 51,620 Wh / 234 Wh/mi = 221 miles.

Your 178 mile trip at 290 Wh/mi will subtract ~221 miles off the battery gauge.

That’s 43 “extra” miles. If you “lost” 50 more than 178, then it’s only 7 lost to vampire drain.

Adjust accordingly for your trip consumption or your specific trim.

I think I should have not have said anything about the miles driven that only confuses ppl. I realize that it's the whr/mi. Yes.. that's why I mentioned AC local and varied driving conditions, but nothing abnormal enough such as mountain climbing and canyon carving to adversely affect range. I drive uphill going home and even though it's a 35 mi commute it consumes 40 to 42 miles of range and the Whr/mi go above average. Yes I understand that.

Regardless of all that, i park the car with everything off except for mobile data and it drains at a much higher rate than before 2019.28 update. I'm only checking to get my screen shots when I park and when I am about to move the car cause I need to drive. I used to drain 2-3 mi day when just parked. Now it's 2 mi/hr. That is key indicator that something is not normal.

As my screen shots show, this morning it drained 7 miles in less than 3 hrs. Tonight I will not charge and see what drain I get over 10 hours.

I called Tesla they sent me a power off cycle procedure that involves sitting in the car for three minutes. They also scheduled me for a SC visit and would look into car remotely before that.

No I'm not. In mm mm mm,,

I think I should have not have said anything about the miles driven that only confuses ppl. I realize that it's the whr/mi. Yes.. that's why I mentioned AC local and varied driving conditions, but nothing abnormal enough such as mountain climbing and canyon carving to adversely affect range. I drive uphill going home and even though it's a 35 mi commute it consumes 40 to 42 miles of range and the Whr/mi go above average. Yes I understand that.

Regardless of all that, i park the car with everything off except for mobile data and it drains at a much higher rate than before 2019.28 update. I'm only checking to get my screen shots when I park and when I am about to move the car cause I need to drive. I used to drain 2-3 mi day when just parked. Now it's 2 mi/hr. That is key indicator that something is not normal.

As my screen shots show, this morning it drained 7 miles in less than 3 hrs. Tonight I will not charge and see what drain I get over 10 hours.

I called Tesla they sent me a power off cycle procedure that involves sitting in the car for three minutes. They also scheduled me for a SC visit and would look into car remotely before that.

2 Miles per hour is almost the exact amount that sentry mode drains. You say its not on... are you sure? did you EVER enable location aware sentry mode (for example)?

I had a strange vampire drain as well. You can check my post. What I recommend is turn TeslaCam off first. Long press and hold. Remove USB or SSD. Do your testing without USB, if it’s Save and you feel comfortable doing it, of course no Sentry Mode or TeslaCam will be available. Your USB will not show any recordings of Sentry mode, BUT this is probably your problem .

So to Summarize what is off on my car:

Sentry mode (turn off switch) not just the red dot on top, its in the Safety & Security page

Data Sharing down in the Safety & Security page, select No to both fields, then select Submit.

Cabin Overheat Protection (off) Safety & Security page

“Keep Climate On” (off) press the Fan icon to see it.

TeslaCam (off) press and hold the camera icon until it flashes and it will grey out. Leave the memory card installed, don’t need to pull it.

Wifi (off) press the WiFi icon and press WiFi settings and select off.

Bluetooth (off) press Bluetooth icon and select Disconnect.

On the media (music) page I set it to phone to ensure Its not getting any radio signal.

Allow Mobile Access is on but I didn’t wake up the car at all in those 12 hours.

Lock the car to shut it down for the night. Press the Lock on the App.

Zero drain in 12 hours.

That should do it, give it a try tonight.

Fred

• Helpful
Reactions: go2realize
Data Sharing down in the Safety & Security page, select No to both fields, then select Submit.

[…]

Wifi (off) press the WiFi icon and press WiFi settings and select off.

Turning wifi off probably makes turning data sharing off unnecessary since I doubt they collect massive amounts of data over LTE.

When you turn Bluetooth “off” by disconnecting does it actually turn Bluetooth off? Does your phone still work as a key the next morning?

I had a strange vampire drain as well. You can check my post. What I recommend is turn TeslaCam off first. Long press and hold. Remove USB or SSD. Do your testing without USB, if it’s Save and you feel comfortable doing it, of course no Sentry Mode or TeslaCam will be available. Your USB will not show any recordings of Sentry mode, BUT this is probably your problem .

So I called Tesla and they have been looking at my cars logs for a few days. They definitely don't think it's normal. I too am suspecting the USB. Two nights ago I removed USB and saw 1 mile lost over 13 hrs. Last night had USB and had 7 mi lost over 8 hrs. Today at work, i had 4 mi gained over 2 hrs! I asked them to push 2019.32 cause I had no issues with 2019.24 until 2019.28 came .... They said NO!

They see from the log that the car isn't sleeping, but think it's a firmware issue or it's because I don't close my frunk at night.

Last edited:
They see from the log that the car isn't sleeping, but think it's a firmware issue or it's because I don't close my frunk at night.

Hmm. Odd.

They can certainly tell from the API if your frunk is open or not. The app should even show it too ... if the sensor was faulty and it thought it was open when it wasn’t, you’d expect to see a warning about driving with the frunk open, or notice it looking open in the app, no?

Hmm. Odd.

They can certainly tell from the API if your frunk is open or not. The app should even show it too ... if the sensor was faulty and it thought it was open when it wasn’t, you’d expect to see a warning about driving with the frunk open, or notice it looking open in the app, no?

They asked me if it's my frunk is closed cause if it's not then the micro switch is broken,a giving a false signal and preventing the car from sleeping. I said, my frunk really is open at night, but I will start closing it from now on. (I typically leave my frunk open EVERY night).

Same thoughts on the frunk open warning... No warning so the micro switch is not broke...

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
They asked me if it's my frunk is closed cause if it's not then the micro switch is broken,a giving a false signal and preventing the car from sleeping. I said, my frunk really is open at night, but I will start closing it from now on. (I typically leave my frunk open EVERY night).

Same thoughts on the frunk open warning... No warning so the micro switch is not broke...

So maybe they changed something to check for frunk opening on car sleeping between the 2 firmwares? Why are you leaving your frunk open every night? Just because it worked on previous firmware (sleeping with frunk open) doesnt mean that it would work going forward.