Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.32.2.2 trunk button no longer working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
SoCal
i saw someone else post about this in the Software 2019.32.2.2 thread, but i figured i would ask the question separately since it seemed to have gotten buried there - has anyone else seen this? strangely enough, mine didn't start doing this immediately after downloading this update (at least i didn't notice immediately), but since a few days ago the trunk button never works to open the trunk unless i actually take the phone out of my pocket and unlock it. all other doors work just fine, it's only the trunk that has been an issue.

anyone else see this? i have tried the usual bluetooth toggle / airplane mode toggle / scroll wheel reboot without any improvement, and it's hard to justify continuing to do all that when the doors all open just fine...it's only the trunk that is a problem.

I've been on 2019.32.2.2 since 9/17 and been able to open my trunk manually from the outside a number of times since with no issues with my phone in my purse or in my pocket. Phone as key seems to be okay for me but will try it again later tonight for you. Haven't had a problem opening my driver's door as a I come to the door with my phone in my purse.

Update: no, I’m able to walk up to my car with phone in purse and open the trunk.

Last edited:
No problem here either. I’d try re-pairing your phone for the heck of it. I assume you mean the car doesn’t unlock so you can open the trunk normally. (Manual unlock is a server command and doesn’t use Bluetooth.)

Did you reboot after getting the update? As usual, shouldn’t be needed but I always do so and it does help with weird things often after an install. Maybe try that first.

i saw someone else post about this in the Software 2019.32.2.2 thread, but i figured i would ask the question separately since it seemed to have gotten buried there - has anyone else seen this? strangely enough, mine didn't start doing this immediately after downloading this update (at least i didn't notice immediately), but since a few days ago the trunk button never works to open the trunk unless i actually take the phone out of my pocket and unlock it. all other doors work just fine, it's only the trunk that has been an issue.

anyone else see this? i have tried the usual bluetooth toggle / airplane mode toggle / scroll wheel reboot without any improvement, and it's hard to justify continuing to do all that when the doors all open just fine...it's only the trunk that is a problem.

My guess is that your issue is nothing to do with the update. But keep us posted as to what you discover!

No problem here either. I’d try re-pairing your phone for the heck of it. I assume you mean the car doesn’t unlock so you can open the trunk normally. (Manual unlock is a server command and doesn’t use Bluetooth.)

Did you reboot after getting the update? As usual, shouldn’t be needed but I always do so and it does help with weird things often after an install. Maybe try that first.

Yes I've tried reboot and unpair /repair the key. No luck.

My guess is that your issue is nothing to do with the update. But keep us posted as to what you discover!

That's a fine guess I suppose, but this was not an issue prior to this update. I had no issues prior to this, and now it literally never works.

They had to have changed the sensitivity with this update, even if only slightly.

Every single time it doesn't work until I take the phone out of my pocket.... prior to this, it worked every time with the phone still in my pocket.

I find it strange that others on the same software aren't having issues. Any chance it could be the phone placement in your pocket? Like which side faces outward?

nope, i always have it with the screen facing my hip to avoid anything hitting the screen. nothing else in that pocket, either.

and others have had the same issue, look at the release thread. someone else posted about it before i did.

I am also having intermittent issues with the trunk on 32.2.2 as well. I use the trunk almost every time I get in the car and prior to this update it worked 99.9% of the time. Now it works maybe 25% of the time, needing me to remove it from my pocket or relaunch the app. Your not alone, I’m hoping V10 just happens to fix this as well otherwise I will continue to look like I’m crazy trying to continually push the button hoping it will work.

I am also having intermittent issues with the trunk on 32.2.2 as well. I use the trunk almost every time I get in the car and prior to this update it worked 99.9% of the time. Now it works maybe 25% of the time, needing me to remove it from my pocket or relaunch the app. Your not alone, I’m hoping V10 just happens to fix this as well otherwise I will continue to look like I’m crazy trying to continually push the button hoping it will work.

if yours is working 25% of the time you're way ahead of me...mine literally works 0% of the time (as in it never does, unless i unlock the car or take the phone out of my pocket first). prior to this, i was in the same boat as you...it probably worked 99.9% of the time. nothing else has changed except the software on the car - phone and placement in my pocket are exactly the same as they always have been.

The problem seems to be that the car is having issues waking up from sleep. We are leaving for a trip shortly so I wanted to start the final 10% charging, and the app wouldn't wake the car up...I had to pop the trunk (the phone key is still connected since the car is in the garage) to get the car to wake up and allow the app to interact with it.

I'm wondering if this has something to do with my trunk troubles...

IOS or Android? I started having problems with the IOS 13.1.1 update recently and doors not unlocking even though I have "run in background" enabled. I had 32.2.2 for about 10 days before the most recent IOS upgrade with no issue.

Dredging up an old thread because I'm part of the club now. Ive had the car for over a year and only had BT issues in the very early weeks. Was 99% reliable for almost all the time. I too put something in the trunk almost every time I use the car and now find the car doesn't detect/unlock when I'm behind it. Perhaps sensitivity changed but could it be a sensor failure? Android phone here in case it matters. Has anyone resolved this in the month that has passed?

This is my first post and I'm experiencing similar issues with unlocking the truck, it started about two weeks ago, I have a Pixel3 XL and a 7/19 M3 LR DM.
Here are my findings:
I walked over to the car, try to open the trunk, it opened, closed it, try to open again, it wouldn't open. tried several times it would't open, open/close the rear door, try the trunk it opened, closed the trunk, tried a few more times, no problem, then stopped opening again, tried several times, no luck. Opened/closed the rear door, trunk was working again. It didn't matter if I had the phone in my pocket or unlocked or the app open and connected.
It definitely seems to be the car and not the phone

The trunk release success of mine is also not very reliable on mine in the last month or so either, and can fail a lot with it in my back pocket with an iPhone 8.

I even get this sort of behavior more regularly from the door too and quite often have to turn my body a bit.

Perhaps Tesla did this in response to relay attacks, as I think there were some updates to get around that maybe a version or so back?