Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.32.x.x comments and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The dancing cars haven't changed. The dancing cars haven't changed. The dancing cars haven't changed. The dancing cars will never change.

Surely there will be some difference with V10. We've seen leaks of footage of the UI showing oncoming traffic while the Tesla is stopped in traffic. I think vehicle orientation has always been an afterthought until this point.

Reactions: C141medic
Surely there will be some difference with V10. We've seen leaks of footage of the UI showing oncoming traffic while the Tesla is stopped in traffic. I think vehicle orientation has always been an afterthought until this point.
But this isn't V10. And I certainly won't expect any miracle fixes until I see them. I definitely don't trust tesla on this.

BTW I was kidding about the "will never change" part. Hopefully.

Last edited:
Reactions: willow_hiller
I think that the 'dancing cars' are indicative of the poor ability of the software to recognize and understand the traffic surrounding the car. Those cars 'dance' even when I am sitting still at a red light, and the other cars are also sitting still. My model 3's inability to determine traffic locations even in the most static of situations is really pretty shocking, and a bit scary if we are to trust autopilot with our lives.

In other threads,* people have reported that the dancing cars are still a thing.

*Not speaking from personal experience; my car just doesn't want to upgrade from 2019.15.107**

**No advice needed on correcting: I have several suggestions already that I just need to put into play
my car has reported software update & then was a stalled attempt..i rebooted. i'm still on 2019.15.106
ugh!! are there different updates for the various models & i'm ok & not overdue for what .24/.36??

it appears you use Stats for Tesla. I purchased that app & very disappointed! paid $20 and i find nothing on it that helps me. i specifically thought there would be more scheduling ability.... :/

It is like FSD, gets more expensive over time. I paid 10 euro. It does show a lot of data and it has some clever scheduling and ... my reason to buy ... it extends to Apple Watch, giving you Siri control, range displayed, remote control without getting your iPhone out.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISoGrumpy
I think that the 'dancing cars' are indicative of the poor ability of the software to recognize and understand the traffic surrounding the car. Those cars 'dance' even when I am sitting still at a red light, and the other cars are also sitting still. My model 3's inability to determine traffic locations even in the most static of situations is really pretty shocking, and a bit scary if we are to trust autopilot with our lives.

The dancing cars - I believe - are exactly what the AI is experiencing. When not moving ... it is quite confused. Tesla can suppress this of course (if not moving then stop dancing) but chooses to leave it as is for now. When moving, the objects behave nicely: they have a clear size, direction and speed, the neural network is trained for that. When not moving the readings are much less clear (especially direction, which direction is a car going when it is standing still and only the wind moves it a tiny bit?). The unclear data makes the cars dance.

I believe the AI is not recognizing frontside and backside of objects, it just tries to read the direction the object is going and then picks the right image. Clearly the direction of objects is not saved from one frame to another.

• Informative
Reactions: JES2
Was there a change in camera resolution with any of the 32.x updates? My rear camera is now picking up portions of the last two characters on my plate.

I've noticed that with different software updates, the rear image will change slightly. Originally, I couldn't see my license plate at all and now I can. My theory is that the rear camera has a much wider field of view than what they show on the screen and on occasion they change the frame of view.

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
“CONCLUSION
One could immediately see that these V10 update release notes are primarily focused on extra, fun features on Tesla’s vehicles, and not their core functionalities such as Autopilot and highly-anticipated Full Self-Driving capabilities such as Smart Summon. Reports from the Tesla community suggest that these features are also included in the V10 release to members of the Early Access Program, though no release notes on these new capabilities have been shared online as of writing.”

“CONCLUSION
One could immediately see that these V10 update release notes are primarily focused on extra, fun features on Tesla’s vehicles, and not their core functionalities such as Autopilot and highly-anticipated Full Self-Driving capabilities such as Smart Summon. Reports from the Tesla community suggest that these features are also included in the V10 release to members of the Early Access Program, though no release notes on these new capabilities have been shared online as of writing.”

Creating the release notes is obviously a separate task. This is work in progress, for now just for EPA.
Not sure if Tesla will be pleased that they are shared so widely by the model 3 club.