Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.36.1: Stopping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me it is a mixed bag.

On the one hand, I love it in traffic. Stopping Mode makes 1-pedal driving possible in many more situations, save for emergency stopping, etc.

On the other hand when parking, navigating in and out of driveways, and such, the car feels like driving through molasses.

So far I plan to leave it enabled...

Anyone else?

Reactions: serendipitous

On the one hand, I love it in traffic. Stopping Mode makes 1-pedal driving possible in many more situations, save for emergency stopping, etc.

On the other hand when parking, navigating in and out of driveways, and such, the car feels like driving through molasses.

Anyone else?

Agreed exactly with what you said. I thought I would like it better but it's counter intuitive while maneuvering, and slightly better when driving in traffic. I'm also leaning towards leaving it enabled...

Was used to one pedal driving on our Leaf. I love the Tesla implementation even more. Give it a week, and it will seem very natural.

FWIW - Stopping Mode is a significant step-up up in 1-pedal driving over "standard", the previously most aggressive setting. Adjusting to the in-traffic performance of Stopping Mode is a fairly easy adjustment (IMO), adjusting the the molasses effect when parking and navigating < 5mph, will take some getting used to.

I test-drove a Leaf some time ago, but don't recall the regenerative breaking being as aggressive as the Model S', but that could certainly have changed.

Anyone else?

What year/car do u have?

Agreed @CRinATL.

Firstly, Tesla did do an incredible job with the brake blending, which is often imperceptible. I had to look over at the display just to be sure it had in fact transitioned to Hold -- that awkward feeling that your car is creeping when it had stopped dead.

Where single-pedal driving suffers fundamentally is during emergency/panic situations. Because your foot is no longer covering the brake pedal, while coasting, there's an added latency from switching between accelerator to brake. That latency, however little, could mean the difference in fender bending with someone or something. This is especially tricky when reversing, where most of us are used to giving it some go, then immediately cover the brake pedal. Applying brake force only when precisely needed with millimeters to spare. In such tight maneuver, there's no room for pedal juggling. Immediacy of action is paramount.

Last edited:
I pride myself in being able to make smooth stops, but the new "Stop" mode in 2019.36.1 beats me, and does it consistently. The transition from moving to stopped is nearly imperceivable. Even if your stop requires using the brake pedal (like some of mine do now that it is cold here and regen is limited), once you're mostly stopped but still rolling take your foot of the brake pedal and the car will handle the silky smooth final stop. It's amazing!

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
2019 S 75D, updated to 36.1 yesterday. Test drive this morning. Results; Lane change very fast without hesitation, staying in the lane much better, stays very tight. Other than that, I can't see any big improvement. Put in a service request under "other" with question "when can I expect computer upgrade to HW3?" The system scheduled a home appt. on the 10th. Dallas has a service center, so maybe an upgrade or a call Monday to disregard the appt. Still not worth the $2,500 price, "YET". I don't believe I will see FSD before my lease is up in 30 months.

Anyone else?
Was just typing a message to you on how you got that sw version. I have the same car and on Wed was told by the Richmond, VA SC that my 2019.32 was the latest version, but stopped typing to check charging status on my car and saw on the app that 2019.36.1 was waiting, so yippee!

Went for a quick test drive before bed. I like the new Hold mode. Adjustment time to that mode will be minimal. AP seems smoother, tracks lanes better, and more decisive with lane changes. Still needs work on off ramps as they are too fast and jerky for me. I do like the new sw and to me AP performance is a nice improvement overall. Oh, and I can tell there is more power too. I really goosed it on an on ramp and next thing I knew there were blue lights in the rear view mirror and I’m thinking ‘oh sh**’. But he was just on his way to help a fellow officer that had someone pulled over. Whew!

2019 MS Raven LR

I'm bummed. Just got 2019.36.2 and no stopping mode.. I wonder why they cant implement that in Pre-Raven models?

They can't implement it in the same way in pre-Raven models because they only have induction motors, and the induction motors can't regen at really low RPMs, because to regen an induction motor the field has to turn slower than the rotor, with the amount of regen proprotional to the ratio of speeds, and you run out of slower speeds for the field to spin at.

(The Model 3 and Raven PMSR motors require fields that are synchronized with the rotors and adjust torque with phase timing, just like the PM motors used by the rest of the industry even though the motors are very different.)

AFAIK, there's nothing except maybe philosophical stubbornness preventing them from creating a one pedal driving mode for the pre-Raven cars that blends the brake pads in at the end, or possibly one that applies power in reverse to the rotor to stop the car.

They can't implement it in the same way in pre-Raven models because they only have induction motors, and the induction motors can't regen at really low RPMs, because to regen an induction motor the field has to turn slower than the rotor, with the amount of regen proprotional to the ratio of speeds, and you run out of slower speeds for the field to spin at.

(The Model 3 and Raven PMSR motors require fields that are synchronized with the rotors and adjust torque with phase timing, just like the PM motors used by the rest of the industry even though the motors are very different.)

AFAIK, there's nothing except maybe philosophical stubbornness preventing them from creating a one pedal driving mode for the pre-Raven cars that blends the brake pads in at the end, or possibly one that applies power in reverse to the rotor to stop the car.
They can certainly do it as they already have the technology implemented where the car will completely stop when on autopilot. The question is more if they care enough or if they consider a two year old car already obsolete.