Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.8.3 — still no range boost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever get the feeling we were given more power over time in case the batteries dropped below 300 mi? My recovered miles didn't occur all at once, but also many variables including temps.

Just wondering... and it's nice that the car was broken in a bit off full throttle for the first year. Still well within the typical drop at first.

just got 2019.8.3 on my LR but have not seen the battery go up to 325 miles on this release or the prior one.

100% charge = 307 miles.

Someone else suggested to get the battery down to 10% or so and then charge back up. Is that the right course of action, or something else?
I got my range boost on my LR on 5.15. TeslaFi is calculating my battery at 314-316 miles. Looking at a long term model S study, a drop off 3% in the first year is typical, then degradation starts to flatten out.

Fwiw - June 2018 build, early July delivery. ~6900 miles. Almost always charged to 80% or less. ~40 mile daily commute. Only ever charged to 100% one time. Only ever below 20% one time.

So, I ran the battery down to about 25% over the course of the past couple of days. When I charged it back up to 90%, the app reported 284 miles, which is up from my standard 278 but not quite where it would be if the max was 325.

Oddly enough, when I got in the car the display showed 277 miles. I had checked the range from the app 10 minutes before going to the car, so I can't imagine it was vampire drain. It really does seem like there is some calibration and/or software goofiness impacting some people.
I think there's a lot of confusion on this issue. All EV car batteries experience degradation. Tesla's curve is actually better than most but still exists. There was a study out of Norway I believe where thousands of Model S owners reported their degradation over years. The result was what looked like a ski slope initially which then dramatically flattened out. Most owners reported 3-5% degradation in the first year or two but most were above 90% out past 100,000-200,000 miles. This is incredible because a) no ICE engine is going to hold 90% of it's value/life at 100k miles, and b) this implied the drive train could last for 300k-500k miles.

Buuuttttt.... Don't expect to see 325 miles anytime after the first week or two of owning the vehicle

Reactions: M109Rider
I think there's a lot of confusion on this issue. All EV car batteries experience degradation. Tesla's curve is actually better than most but still exists. There was a study out of Norway I believe where thousands of Model S owners reported their degradation over years. The result was what looked like a ski slope initially which then dramatically flattened out. Most owners reported 3-5% degradation in the first year or two but most were above 90% out past 100,000-200,000 miles. This is incredible because a) no ICE engine is going to hold 90% of it's value/life at 100k miles, and b) this implied the drive train could last for 300k-500k miles.

Buuuttttt.... Don't expect to see 325 miles anytime after the first week or two of owning the vehicle

Well said.
I think folks also need to realize your state of charge fluctuates.
You might think you have more degradation than you actually have due to battery balancing.

Reactions: ThreeDX
I'm on 12.1.2 and still have not seen any increase in range. I have called Tesla and now they route you to service centers. I have spoken with to the Orlando and the Tampa service center and both insist they do not anything about a range increase, only a power increase.

I am currently on 12.1.2 and do not have the increased range. A few weeks back I contacted them when I was on 8.5 via email and they replied this:

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Support. We do apologize for the delay in responding to your email. I did review your firmware and you are current on firmware. The advise range increase is still a future release for the advised Tesla vehicles. We apologize if there has been any confusion. This firmware should be rolling out to customers very soon, unfortunately we do not have an exact eta on this for vehicles. If you are wanting to monitor your firmware for this increase, the release notes will advise the range increase so you will be able to know when you receive this firmware.

We hope this information helped clarify your questions and concerns for you. You are more than welcome to respond to this email if you have further questions.

Thank you,

TXXXXXX| Tesla Support
igmNNyo_hsnSD9MiUsG4qxcusqCjBTrW4iy4zh3Q1vsNQWhw7dp3mTEiv6PlMWw85J8uc2eJyqH4Sr_fa9O59r45vCHHWq-mE-XpRPq61qDmCa0hi9vaFvx3uirWRV-mEcTsQ19A1THwL5Y4JfX3IyuFbmXnkw=s0-d-e1-ft