Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.8.5 Autopilot observations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was a great update in general but just took a 4 hour road trip across "the alley" MIA to Tampa/St. Pete and a couple observations .... I really like the blind spot UI enhancements that turn the whole car in the blind spot red in addition to the lane markers: way more prominent. One thing (super subjective), but my perception is that there has been a decided re-calibration on the safety (conservative) side with respect to warning about cars when changing lanes. Prior to this update, I thought it was pretty "tight" meaning even when the red had disappeared I *was* still pretty close to the guy. Now it seems I need to put much more distance between the M3 and the other car. Almost like they went too far from one end to the other on this, but once you know where it's at you can adjust. Still a killer feature.

Max definitely seems a bit smarter. I leave it on Mad Max and he's a bit more aggressive/intelligent about lane changes - and I love that. Still trying to figure if he's picking up on people coming up from the rear and suggesting a lane change rightward; this could still stand some improvement. There will always be a nut job climbing up your exhaust, errr, license plate! at 100 mph...

Nice UI tweak also when the lane change kicks in -- the blinker now flashed over on the nav section of the screen and it seems there is a bit more blue ... all telling you the same thing, which is nice. And you can "tap to delay" lane change also nice.
IMG_8081 (1).jpg

Lane change recommendations are still a big wonky in general imo since sometimes they are clearly inappropriate. Was surprised to therefore see the ability to make lane changes automatic albeit with feedback. Not for me yet!

Really excited to this feature set continue to improve.

One thing (super subjective), but my perception is that there has been a decided re-calibration on the safety (conservative) side with respect to warning about cars when changing lanes.

Agreed, but I think there's a specific reason why...

Was surprised to therefore see the ability to make lane changes automatic albeit with feedback. Not for me yet!

and that's the reason.

If it's gonna change lanes automatically, it's going to at least initially be pretty conservative toward safely doing so.