Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model 3, Screen Black out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

This is the 2nd time my screen went black. Both time, before the black out, I remotely activated the Climate Control option to cool the car interior. When I come out to get in the car, I realized that the screen went black/dark.

1. What happened? Was it a software bug?
2. How do I recover the black screen to normal?
3. Do I have to reset the computer (2 buttons down) every time the screen went black?
4. Is it a known problem and Tesla is going to fix it?

Thanks
De

Hi,

This is the 2nd time my screen went black. Both time, before the black out, I remotely activated the Climate Control option to cool the car interior. When I come out to get in the car, I realized that the screen went black/dark.

1. What happened? Was it a software bug?
2. How do I recover the black screen to normal?
3. Do I have to reset the computer (2 buttons down) every time the screen went black?
4. Is it a known problem and Tesla is going to fix it?

Thanks
De
Yes, reset or you can try holding the two wheels for longer while holding down the brake (which may or may not be necessary). Hold them down until you see the T again.

This is a common issue with the last few firmware versions.

Is the screen blacking out normal?? I just took delivery of a brand new Model 3 LR this Tuesday. On first day, I get in the car after work only to find out the screen was blacked out. It seemed like everything was working (AC, music) except the screen. I had to soft reset by holding down both buttons on steering wheel and screen came back fine. Today (Thursday), I get in the car to see the same issue again. I did the same and screen came back alive again.

Is this normal and something I should be living with? Or should I be contacting SC about this issue? Dang I have already gone through a return process (due to defected camera - confirmed by Tesla) last week and this issue is definitely not comforting. Any advices or thoughts?

I made a mobile service appointment for exactly this issue, but because I did not log the exact dates and times of the reboots they are cancelling the appointment. I'd advise you to keep track of the exact dates and times, otherwise service may refuse to troubleshoot.

I understand that they'd probably want to look through logs and would need dates and times for that, but not something I was thinking of writing down in the moment (I wanted to reboot the screen and get on my way).

Can you clarify? Did the screen ever wake up and when? When you rebooted? Obviously they didn’t cancel the appointment if your screen is dead permanently.

Never seen this so I would assume it’s an effect of the version you are on. Agree on recording times and then make an appt.

Is the screen blacking out normal?? I just took delivery of a brand new Model 3 LR this Tuesday. On first day, I get in the car after work only to find out the screen was blacked out. It seemed like everything was working (AC, music) except the screen. I had to soft reset by holding down both buttons on steering wheel and screen came back fine. Today (Thursday), I get in the car to see the same issue again. I did the same and screen came back alive again.

Is this normal and something I should be living with? Or should I be contacting SC about this issue? Dang I have already gone through a return process (due to defected camera - confirmed by Tesla) last week and this issue is definitely not comforting. Any advices or thoughts?

What firmware do you have, it seems like this issue was corrected already. Also when the screen returns you can press down on the right steering wheel button and the green voice indicator will be on the screen lower left and you say "Bug Report" to get the system to record screen shots off all screens and submit a special entry in your system log so the teams at Tesla can figure out what you're seeing and try to fix the issue.

Fred

Last edited:
Can you clarify? Did the screen ever wake up and when? When you rebooted? Obviously they didn’t cancel the appointment if your screen is dead permanently.

Never seen this so I would assume it’s an effect of the version you are on. Agree on recording times and then make an appt.

When this has happened the screen has only started working again after a reboot (holding both steering wheel buttons down).

What firmware do you have, it seems like this issue was corrected already. Also when the screen returns you can press down on the right steering wheel button and the green voice indicator will be on the screen lower left and you say "Bug Report" to get the system to record screen shots off all screens and submit a special entry in your system log so the teams at Tesla can figure out what you're seeing and try to fix the issue.

Fred

Hi Fred,

My firmware is 2019.15.104.1 753f0a5 and this update was only sent to me 2 days ago for install... Before this firmware, it was something like 2019.15.103? I don't remember exactly..

Thanks for the heads up on the "bug report". I didn't know that.

Should I be reporting this issue to Tesla SC? Thanks.

Hi Fred,

My firmware is 2019.15.104.1 753f0a5 and this update was only sent to me 2 days ago for install... Before this firmware, it was something like 2019.15.103? I don't remember exactly..

Thanks for the heads up on the "bug report". I didn't know that.

Should I be reporting this issue to Tesla SC? Thanks.
Yes Especially with that firmware, a tech called that one Version N-1 seems like only a batch of cars have that firmware update. What does N-1 mean? I don’t know, and so far one Model 3 did go from 15.103 to 20.4.4 the other day.

Fred

I was driving home last night and all of a sudden my screen turned off for a few seconds then started on its own. But isn't this a safety issue especially if this happens if the screen turns off while driving given that you have no idea what speed you are traveling and just guessing by gauging on how fast you are moving by objects. I just recently got a new software update and am on the following.

upload_2019-7-12_8-27-39.png

My Model 3 has the same problem, almost every morning the screen stay's black when I open the door.
Everything is working and I can drive but screen stay's black.
If I press random on the screen the trunk opens or something else hapens, so the touch panel is OK but the illumination of the LCD is off.
Car has been 1 week in Tesla garage and they said it was fixed, I picked up the car and screen stayed black, had to leave the car at the garage again????

My Model 3 has the same problem, almost every morning the screen stay's black when I open the door.
If I press random on the screen the trunk opens or something else hapens, so the touch panel is OK but the illumination of the LCD is off.
Car has been 1 week in Tesla garage and they said it was fixed, I picked up the car and screen stayed black, had to leave the car at the garage again????

So, I took it to the Tesla SC last Saturday for this issue. According to the tech and engineer, this issue was already known to them and that they were working on a fix. I took it there while the screen was black and showed it to them. They said there was nothing else they could do at this time, and a fix should come later via firmware update.

Can you check which firmware you have? Maybe you have same firmware as me..

Since my screen was not blacking out every single time, I wanted to check if it was blacking out on certain situations. I was able to find out that black out almost always happens whenever I open the Tesla App first (or while the Tesla App is running) then open the door of my car. When the Tesla App is closed or not running, screen is not turning black when I open the door.

I had the same problem. Screen blank or black with faint grey vertical lines or sometimes some icons showing faintly. Touch function working. Could adjust sound volume etc. Usually happened after the car was woken up via mobile app and I was entering the car shortly.

SC replaced my touch screen last friday (now monday) and so far it has been ok. It worked fine for periods of a few days before also so knocking on wood.

I had the same problem. Screen blank or black with faint grey vertical lines or sometimes some icons showing faintly. Touch function working. Could adjust sound volume etc. Usually happened after the car was woken up via mobile app and I was entering the car shortly.

SC replaced my touch screen last friday (now monday) and so far it has been ok. It worked fine for periods of a few days before also so knocking on wood.

That problem is the exact issue with mine as well, especially with vertical grey lines.. Does yours not black out anymore even when you open the Tesla App first and while App opened and running, then open the door?

So, I took it to the Tesla SC last Saturday for this issue. According to the tech and engineer, this issue was already known to them and that they were working on a fix. I took it there while the screen was black and showed it to them. They said there was nothing else they could do at this time, and a fix should come later via firmware update.

Can you check which firmware you have? Maybe you have same firmware as me..

Since my screen was not blacking out every single time, I wanted to check if it was blacking out on certain situations. I was able to find out that black out almost always happens whenever I open the Tesla App first (or while the Tesla App is running) then open the door of my car. When the Tesla App is closed or not running, screen is not turning black when I open the door.

Yes, same here opening car with app gives problem black screen, not every time but approx 6 out of 10 times. Maybe app does not communicatie 100%