Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Crashing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys so this has happened to me twice now. Sitting in the car for a bit waiting for a friend to come out and everything works fine but then when I touch the screen the music goes "Grrrrrr" and then the screen roobots itself. Has anyone else experienced this? Started happening after 8.4 update.

...Started happening after 8.4 update.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as it doesn't affect your propulsion and as long as it works after a reboot.

Tesla uses computers and they can crash from time to time. Screen crashes have happened to each one of my 3 brand new Tesla cars since 2012.

I don't know why computer crashes but maybe human needs to write better programs.

Hey guys so this has happened to me twice now. Sitting in the car for a bit waiting for a friend to come out and everything works fine but then when I touch the screen the music goes "Grrrrrr" and then the screen roobots itself. Has anyone else experienced this? Started happening after 8.4 update.
Yeah the version 8 update is pretty buggy and it introduced the screen crashing on the Model 3. It’s a pretty buggy build considering there’s 6 versions of 8 now. Wait for them to fix it.

My screen crashed today and I’m still on 2019.5.15. I had to put the car in park, open the door, lock the door, then re-enter before the screen turned on again.

The worst time a screen crash happened was when we were in our X on a roadtrip in Southern Cali and it was a toasty 110 degrees F and the AC turns off...luckily I was able to scroll wheel and reboot the system. Would not have been fun driving in the heat without AC.

I’m taking my 3 in to service this Friday to get the newest software installed because I have gotten an update 2 weeks ago, but it fails to upload. Service center is going to delete the corrupt file and upload newest software for me. Can’t wait to feel the 5% increase in power.

Happened to.me too yesterday while driving. ''grrrr' sound then screen went black. I just kept driving like normal and it restored itself.

Seems like the infotainment system computer crashed and rebooted. Didn't affect the driving at all.

Version 2019.8.4

I had this happen yesterday while driving around the city. System eventually rebooted itself. Do the turn signals still work when this happens?

All essential drive systems are on a separate computer/system (two mechanical drive stalks, steering, and go/stop pedals). Turn signals continue to work and blink (clicking sound = relay) even if the screen blanks out and reboots. EAP/FSD continues to operate during these reboots.

The HUD/Screen is on it's own (tied to inputs/output of information and entertainment). Just stay with the speed of traffic or pull over safety (Emergency signal button still works).

All essential drive systems are on a separate computer/system (two mechanical drive stalks, steering, and go/stop pedals). Turn signals continue to work and blink (clicking sound = relay) even if the screen blanks out and reboots.
Based on my experience, the turn signals work (saw them reflecting), but there is no clicking sound. I'm pretty sure they are not using a relay, they just play a clicking sound on the speakers. You can verify by using the emissions testing mode and setting the turn signals to trigger. You'll get fart sounds only and no clicking.