Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5 fails to install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Model S MCU 1:
All previous updates have installed without problem.
Now 2020.12.5 fails to install. I have tried multiple times.
Have done a reboot, install now, scheduled install.
Any advice greatly appreciated,

Thanks from the Jersey Shore

Create service ticket in app. State software/firmware. Will give you date. Likely will just push the updated from their end in 1-2 days and then cancel ticket.

Other the standard soft reset, or hard reset of the car are the standard options.

Did what jeremymc suggested prior to reading his reply and hours later my phone showed
that the update was installed. I'll check the car tomorrow.

FYI my download finished downloading but wouldn’t install either. I just left it alone for a few hours and it kicked in finally.

I’ve been tracking all the version updates on TeslaFi and while there are normally several versions with a large percentage of cars each the trends I’ve seen since 2020.12.5 hit is everyone is slowing progressing to it either directly or with multiple version uploads. For example I’ve seen several of the lower versions go down in amount of cars, only to go back up; which occurs as people are cycling.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Anyone else that has an install issue, try these in order; reboot. And then if that doesn’t help, try turning the power off from the menu. I’ve seen the power off clear a bad install when the reboot won’t. After that, the SC will need to examine it.

Same issue here on Model 3.

Downloaded Friday but did not install. Restarted screen, downloaded again. When complete I pressed the green arrow but it turned orange. Now it is back to HAL icon. Tried all reboot options and now have a service visit scheduled for Friday. Software page alternates to/from "checking for software" and then "software up to date."

New navigation maps downloaded and installed.

2018 RWD LR Model 3 (day one reservation)
FSD updated CPU

Attachments

• 2020.12.5 downloading.jpg
    2020.12.5 downloading.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
FYI my download finished downloading but wouldn’t install either. I just left it alone for a few hours and it kicked in finally.

I’ve been tracking all the version updates on TeslaFi and while there are normally several versions with a large percentage of cars each the trends I’ve seen since 2020.12.5 hit is everyone is slowing progressing to it either directly or with multiple version uploads. For example I’ve seen several of the lower versions go down in amount of cars, only to go back up; which occurs as people are cycling.
mine (2022 MS) downloaded first try.......install took 37:45......then screen stayed black for few minutes and rebooted....on the re-boot, it went black for 3 minutes. and came back .....all is good.....I just can't see cars on side of road when I drive down my street with is ~30" wide....was able to see cars before 12.1

Same issue here on Model 3.

Downloaded Friday but did not install. Restarted screen, downloaded again. When complete I pressed the green arrow but it turned orange. Now it is back to HAL icon. Tried all reboot options and now have a service visit scheduled for Friday. Software page alternates to/from "checking for software" and then "software up to date."

New navigation maps downloaded and installed.

2018 RWD LR Model 3 (day one reservation)
FSD updated CPU

Update: Scheduled a service appointment at the Sarasota, Florida service center. Touchless drop-off was easy and they provided a Model S loaner. They said they had seen this issue before on a few carsacars were able to complete the update.

Pro Tip: don't schedule drop off on a Friday. Since they did not get done by end of day I had the loaner all weekend then picked up at noon on Monday.

Really good experience overall.