Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.16.2.1 killed my LTE connection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After my 2020.16.2.1 upgrade, I no longer have LTE. I've done multiple resets (even with the potentially debunked brake pedal just in case). Also have done a manual power cycle. It's been going on about a week, so time didn't fix it.

On other threads, people have reported LTE issues, it was intermittent and came back after a short period of time -- and it wasn't necessarily right after an update. So I haven't found anyone else with a solution.

Wifi still works.

Any other ideas?

I have a Tesla mobile visit scheduled for next month for them to check it out. Does anyone have anything for me to try in the meantime?

• Informative
Reactions: LionXng
After my 2020.16.2.1 upgrade, I no longer have LTE. I've done multiple resets (even with the potentially debunked brake pedal just in case). Also have done a manual power cycle. It's been going on about a week, so time didn't fix it.

On other threads, people have reported LTE issues, it was intermittent and came back after a short period of time -- and it wasn't necessarily right after an update. So I haven't found anyone else with a solution.

Wifi still works.

Any other ideas?

I have a Tesla mobile visit scheduled for next month for them to check it out. Does anyone have anything for me to try in the meantime?
Need to follow this one since 20.16.2.1 is currently downloading..

Perhaps your LTE connectivity board has finally met its demise. If so, the wait for a replacement is long but the actual swap is quick (even if mobile service or SC will lead you to believe otherwise).

Good thing the design is such that its simply a daughter board off your MCU. PnP swap and done.

Reactions: calidreamz808
This happened to me too. Installed 2020.16.2.1 yesterday and today I noticed I no longer have cellular connectivity. Did the same thing and tried multiple resets. This is not a premium connectivity issues as there is no cellular connectivity at all. If it’s still the same tomorrow I guess I’ll need to contact service.

Wifi still works.

Any other ideas?

You joined this board on March 6th 2018 so chances are You have a 2018 model 3 so your connectivity package finally expired or they did an audit and pulled the plug. You should be getting a subscription message soon.

No problem here with LTE, my DashCam is still broken, won’t record, so I’m going to buy one more memory card before submitting a service ticket.

Fred

You joined this board on March 6th 2018 so chances are You have a 2018 model 3 so your connectivity package finally expired or they did an audit and pulled the plug. You should be getting a subscription message soon.

No problem here with LTE, my DashCam is still broken, won’t record, so I’m going to buy one more memory card before submitting a service ticket.

Fred
I have a 2018 which I took delivery of before June 30, which was the deadline for lifetime free connectivity.

I can almost guarantee this is a firmware issue. Put in a service request and ask to have the current software reloaded.
And I'm sure you're doing it right, but how are you doing the power-down? It's tricky to do it right.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just added that request to my appointment request... To reload the current software. Not sure if they'll review that soon or wait until the night before my appointment in 3 weeks...

Also, for the power down, I had someone on Tesla chat telling me how to do it. I'm not in my car now, but I think she had me go into the Safety/Security menu, then press Power Off. Then she told me to stay in the driver's seat and not touch anything or move for 3 minutes. So I set a timer. After 3 minutes, she told me to touch the brake to power up the car.

I have a 2018 which I took delivery of before June 30, which was the deadline for lifetime free connectivity.

Yep, same here. I should have lifetime premium connectivity. I took delivery in March 2018. Connectivity

Also as Squash1978 pointed out... this isn't a Premium connectivity issue. LTE is not connecting at all. According to the above link, Standard connectivity is included for everyone and would include navigation. I am not getting any connectivity for navigation (standard/free/included connectivtity). So sounds like software/firmware issue

Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions. I'll post back here if Tesla reloads my software and/or after my appointment in Mid/late June.

I just got 16.2.1, so just to clarify a little bit, how did you noticed that LTE is not working?

- no icon "shaped like an antenna" is show on the car monitor screen?

- the smartphone app cannot connect to the car?

- the car still detect a WiFi connection BUT when putting in 'D' the map suddenly stop?

- ... ?

I downloaded 2020.16.2.1 when I wasn’t sitting in the car. A few days later I took the car out for the first time after installing the update and the car didn’t have cell connection. We went grocery shopping and when we finished, the LTE connection had reappeared. Not sure if driving the car for a bit allowed it to reset and reconnect the cell service.

I just got 16.2.1, so just to clarify a little bit, how did you noticed that LTE is not working?

- no icon "shaped like an antenna" is show on the car monitor screen?

- the smartphone app cannot connect to the car?

- the car still detect a WiFi connection BUT when putting in 'D' the map suddenly stop?

- ... ?

There's a log in the top right corner that shows how many "bars" connectivity you have. It looks like the logo on a lot of cell phones. All 5 bars were grayed out and there is a diagonal black line through them. Also, when I navigate in the map it says something to the effect of "navigating offline" or similar. Also, Slack and spotify don't play any music.

I downloaded 2020.16.2.1 when I wasn’t sitting in the car. A few days later I took the car out for the first time after installing the update and the car didn’t have cell connection. We went grocery shopping and when we finished, the LTE connection had reappeared. Not sure if driving the car for a bit allowed it to reset and reconnect the cell service.

I was hoping that just giving it some time would fix the issue. But it's been over a week and I drive 75 miles round-trip every day. So far, that hasn't fixed it for me anyway.