Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's a daugher card for the MCU?

AFAIK, the daughter card in the MCU1 contains the solid state memory (eMMC) that fails in these units due to too many write cycles in the past from the Tesla firmware. The repair reportedly costs about $500 outside warranty. The SC took three days to install the card and get the MCU working again, including needing help from Tesla in Fremont.

I've also read that the new daughter card has more memory than the original, and I'll speculate that this could be why the SC had trouble integrating the card into the MCU. The shop receipt says they had to do some "firmware update", buy the overall vehicle firmware level didn't change.

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
We just installed 2020.36.16 on our X last night. Unfortunately, it deleted our profiles and disabled mobile access. The menu isn’t letting us add driver profiles back and the screen won’t display all menus. On a positive note, we got our temperature display back again after it was dashes for the last three weeks.

MCU1 or 2? If the former, hopefully it’s not indicative of a looming eMMC failure.

The last 2 software updates (36.4 & 36.11) had to be downloaded twice! This morning I was sitting in the driveway in my MY doing a soft and hard reboot because since 36.4 the car wouldn’t recognize my phone key ☹️After I finished both reboots I noticed the yellow download icon on the top of the screen to the left of the dash cam icon. So I started the update, stayed in the car until it reached 50% and then monitored the progress to 80% from inside my house via the app. I never noticed if it reached 100% but after about 15 minutes I received an alert that there was a software update available So I started the process over again via the app and it worked. This same thing happened when I updated to 36.4 a week ago. Unfortunately, even after a hard reboot 36.11 doesn’t recognize my phone key! Has anyone else experienced these issues?

These secondary updates may be small additional media/game updates tagged on the end.