Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.8.3 Updating hitting now...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess my assumption was wrong that only FSD cars were getting the 2020.12 update. I guess while lockdown has most of us confined to our homes (and brief rides in our cars from time to time) we can at least look forward to continued updates from Tesla! I have not seen the new enhancements with the stop signs and stop lights, so looking forward to at least getting to preview that. Maybe it will push me over the $4k hurdle to just upgrade to FDS?!

This is clearly wrong.

If all updates went to everyone you wouldn't have some folks getting a 12.x update when others are still getting new 8.x updates that came out after the first 12.x ones did.

Sure you would.

They don't roll out updates because of features. They have often rolled out updates geographically. We all know this.

In the beginning of the Model 3....I got an update of 2.x and my buddy in NC received an update of 1.x at the same time. That is when Tesla was rolling updates out from the west coast to the east coast and they were banging them out almost daily.

My point is.....they don't roll updates out because of features.

Give us an update that only FSD people got.
or that only performance owners got....or anything of the kind.

The only other difference I know of is when EAP ( early access ) folks get their updates.

Last edited:
I can't figure out the rhyme or reason as to why some are getting updated to 2020.12.X and others are getting updated to 2020.8.X. Maybe there is no rhyme or reason and it's just how these things play out over time?

Tesla has often rolled out their updates geographically. That has happened from the beginning.

Rolling out 2 updates at the same time geographically has happened before. June 15 - 17 2019.

I received an opportunity to update on the same day that my brother-in-law got the opportunity to update.....2 different updates. 2 days later he got the opportunity to update to my version.

I'm in Chicagoland and he is in Texasland.

Check out TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker. Looks like 8.3 is finally rolling out - overseas. Check out the countries of the latest updaters and their software load versions.
I usually don't like to reference teslafi because of there extremely small sample size of Tesla's, but with this topic...it works.

I can't figure out the rhyme or reason as to why some are getting updated to 2020.12.X and others are getting updated to 2020.8.X. Maybe there is no rhyme or reason and it's just how these things play out over time?

different forks of the code base with different bug fixes, is my guess.

they want to see if approach A is better/more stable then B.

I've heard of sleep issues on the 8.* train and so the .3 release is probably to fix that.

12 has the stop feature when they enable it; 8.* does not seem to.

at some point, they'll merge the good fixes from several dev trees.

different forks of the code base with different bug fixes, is my guess.

they want to see if approach A is better/more stable then B.

I've heard of sleep issues on the 8.* train and so the .3 release is probably to fix that.

12 has the stop feature when they enable it; 8.* does not seem to.

at some point, they'll merge the good fixes from several dev trees.

Its geographically based. Not feature based.

Take a glance at TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker (notice the countries)

@Garlan Garner I'm in TXland so maybe I'm just a few days behind, geographically, like your brother was. I did see a YouTube video of a guy in Europe that got the 2020.8.1 update a week ago and this enable the FSD preview with the updated driving graphics for him, but he also had a 2020 Model 3 with HW3. I have HW 2.5, but have heard from others that the FSD preview will still enable the new driving graphics, so I'm hoping that the 2020.12 update will bring that option to my car.

So many noobs, so much misinformation.

At the end of the day, none of this matters, all these builds will be yesterday's news soon.

They add no significant functionality, fix some bugs (many not even disclosed in release notes), introduce other bugs. Rinse and repeat as with all development.

Tesla devs are already cranking out 2020.14.x builds, and soon we will be back to mid year and late year 2020 builds, just like in 2019, 18, 17 before it. Nothing to see here, get your updates and get over the build fomo.

These cars still drive and perform most of their basic functions about the same, better or worse, until the next build or major software uptick (v11 anyone? AP3.5 anyone?)

Keeping safe and soon just survivinv in the era of WWC and the plandemic is far more important than 2020.8.x vs .12.x

@Garlan Garner I'm in TXland so maybe I'm just a few days behind, geographically, like your brother was. I did see a YouTube video of a guy in Europe that got the 2020.8.1 update a week ago and this enable the FSD preview with the updated driving graphics for him, but he also had a 2020 Model 3 with HW3. I have HW 2.5, but have heard from others that the FSD preview will still enable the new driving graphics, so I'm hoping that the 2020.12 update will bring that option to my car.

Yep..

Remember....some of the FSD graphics will only show up in HW3 no matter what update you download AND/OR also depends on if you purchased FSD or not.

However....as you say - some folks have the graphics show up that neither has HW3 nor FSD. <----- I call that an abnormality.