Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.8.3 Updating hitting now...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So many noobs, so much misinformation.

At the end of the day, none of this matters, all these builds will be yesterday's news soon.

They add no significant functionality, fix some bugs (many not even disclosed in release notes), introduce other bugs. Rinse and repeat as with all development.

Tesla devs are already cranking out 2020.14.x builds, and soon we will be back to mid year and late year 2020 builds, just like in 2019, 18, 17 before it. Nothing to see here, get your updates and get over the build fomo.

These cars still drive and perform most of their basic functions about the same, better or worse, until the next build or major software uptick (v11 anyone? AP3.5 anyone?)

Keeping safe and soon just survivinv in the era of WWC and the plandemic is far more important than 2020.8.x vs .12.x

I'm at home doing nothing.

Tired of watching pandemic stuff on TV.

This is a much better discussion.

and...

when I want to go to sleep....I count unsold BMW EV's instead of sheep.

china-evs-1280.jpg

All joking aside.....Truthfully though.....that's a shame. I'm an EV'er no matter what the brand.

Last edited:
Yep..

Remember....some of the FSD graphics will only show up in HW3 no matter what update you download AND/OR also depends on if you purchased FSD or not.

However....as you say - some folks have the graphics show up that neither has HW3 nor FSD. <----- I call that an abnormality.
I think the new graphics without having purchased FSD is possibly a temporary preview, so people can try it out and decide if they want to make the plunge. I assume this would not be something they would be able to keep using without making an upgrade purchase at some point. However, I do have EAP, so would like for the advanced graphics to stay as part of that package, but I'm sure, even for me, it will be just a preview.

• Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Sure you would.

They don't roll out updates because of features. They have often rolled out updates geographically. We all know this.

Your reply makes no sense.

Some folks are getting 2020.8.3 right now.

Which only began to roll out after a 2020.12 and 2020.12.0.2 and 2020.12.1 were rolling out (and continue to roll out for 2020.12.1)

Why would they be creating, let alone pushing, ANY 8.x update if 12.x was the "current" level everyone should (eventually) be getting, even if there's a geographic rollout?

They wouldn't.

They just be pushing 12.x to any of those people, instead of 8.3

Tesla has sold over 1 million cars.

I call 11,000 a small sample size.

Time for a stats class :)

11,000 is a HUGE sample size.

Sample Size Calculator [Use in 60 seconds] | Qualtrics

For a population of 1 million, with a 2% margin of error and a 99% confidence level you only need a sample size of 4128.

11000 doesn't QUITE get you down to 1% margin of error (that'd require 16307 sample size) but it's closer to 1% than 2% with 11k.

Your reply makes no sense.

Some folks are getting 2020.8.3 right now.

Which only began to roll out after a 2020.12 and 2020.12.0.2 and 2020.12.1 were rolling out (and continue to roll out for 2020.12.1)

Why would they be creating, let alone pushing, ANY 8.x update if 12.x was the "current" level everyone should (eventually) be getting, even if there's a geographic rollout?

They wouldn't.

They just be pushing 12.x to any of those people, instead of 8.3

Ours updated to 12.1 a week or so ago, and just today got 8.3. I dunno... Still a newb, had the car 2 whole weeks now, but the update numbers going backwards doesn't make sense.

Ours updated to 12.1 a week or so ago, and just today got 8.3. I dunno... Still a newb, had the car 2 whole weeks now, but the update numbers going backwards doesn't make sense.
Never heard of an update going backwards! That doesn't seem right to me. Maybe others in this forum have heard of such a thing, but I have not in the short time that I've owned my Tesla. If it were me, I would call Tesla and ask them why it went backwards.

• Disagree
Reactions: linux-works
its not necessarily backwards.

tesla may be using week numbers for versions, but that does not negate the fact that developers check out multiple trees, do different things in them and sometimes a tree just goes back and its easier to just scrap it.

my guess is that the 12 tree was not ready or not worth bringing forward for most cars. who knows why, they don't tell us this detail.

but its not 'backwards'. the best tree is chosen to move forward. its how modern software dev works.

its not necessarily backwards.

tesla may be using week numbers for versions, but that does not negate the fact that developers check out multiple trees, do different things in them and sometimes a tree just goes back and its easier to just scrap it.

my guess is that the 12 tree was not ready or not worth bringing forward for most cars. who knows why, they don't tell us this detail.

but its not 'backwards'. the best tree is chosen to move forward. its how modern software dev works.

I work for a very large computer company and deal with many different FW components and have never seen a customer case where the version went backwards as an update! Not saying that it might not be necessary to go backwards to avoid an issue or what not, but moving someone from .12 to .8 without indicating why, leaves them with only one way to perceive what happened as being a downgrade. Without being able to compare the 2 versions and understand the changes, it's to hard to determine, but it would be perceived as a downgrade without knowing the "why."

not unusual at all. you try a few feature branches, some dont work out, too much work to merge the good parts with the mainline so you abandon the tree.

maybe its not a horrible tree, but maybe there's a better one.

low(ish) on manpower - just abandon a branch and move on.

does not phase me in the least. maybe I'm in the minority, and I don't dont read anything at all in increasing numbers. regressions happen ALL the time.

Reactions: MentalNomad
not unusual at all. you try a few feature branches, some dont work out, too much work to merge the good parts with the mainline so you abandon the tree.

maybe its not a horrible tree, but maybe there's a better one.

low(ish) on manpower - just abandon a branch and move on.

does not phase me in the least. maybe I'm in the minority, and I don't dont read anything at all in increasing numbers. regressions happen ALL the time.
LOL. Of course it doesn’t phase you. You’re obviously a dev, or a serious hobbyist. That’s not an insult. Many devs can think In a non-liner manner. But since the updates are visible to the customer, it’s just sloppy (as is the whole Tesla update process for the most part) because of the perception it creates.

Reactions: TX_M3P+